IGNORED

Toki for the 7800 PAL / NTSC Edition Cartridge POLL

Willard

216 members have voted

1. 1. Preferred Version of Toki

• NTSC
    • PAL

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I'm assuming if it's as "Atari Corp intended" that it wouldn't have a POKEY unless some internal doc said that was their actual intent.

I know this wouldn't be Atari Corp's intent but I hope you guys throw in HSC Support just for the hell of it.

Wow, that looks and plays great, Even the TIA sounds are not all that horrible as compaired to other 7800 TIA sound based games.

7800 with games like this would have held its own agenst the Nes and SMS for sure!

Just to bring everybody's attention to it, there's some mild glitching in the NTSC game, as seen in the captured video. Occasionally there's a brief+minor flash of random characters at the top of the screen when a large number of objects appears on-screen, and the vertical scrolling is also pretty jumpy.

These artifacts in the NTSC version are due to the game being designed for PAL, and taking up *all* of the extra CPU time per frame that PAL games have. Prior to various fixes and adjustments being put in place, the PAL version running on NTSC hardware was pretty much unplayable.

IMO the remaining glitches don't detract much and are easily ignored, but I didn't want anybody purchasing the NTSC game without knowing about them up front.

• Like 6

To echo what RevEng said, and point a few things out:

-If you have the capability to play PAL games then the PAL version is recommended because some small compromises were made for the version that was converted to NTSC, as RevEng noted. Still, RevEng did a good job and judging by the polls his work has made the game accessible to a good number of people that otherwise wouldn't have been able to experience the game on their NTSC hardware.

-Trebor's video is of the NTSC version. You will notice this if you visit the video on youtube but he did not note this on AA (just wanted to point it out :P).

Edited by Willard

Just to bring everybody's attention to it, there's some mild glitching in the NTSC game, as seen in the captured video. Occasionally there's a brief+minor flash of random characters at the top of the screen when a large number of objects appears on-screen, and the vertical scrolling is also pretty jumpy.

These artifacts in the NTSC version are due to the game being designed for PAL, and taking up *all* of the extra CPU time per frame that PAL games have. Prior to various fixes and adjustments being put in place, the PAL version running on NTSC hardware was pretty much unplayable.

IMO the remaining glitches don't detract much and are easily ignored, but I didn't want anybody purchasing the NTSC game without knowing about them up front.

Heh, what retro game isn't released with out some sort of glitches! Adds character and from what I watched its pretty minimal and not bad at all!

Edited by Shinju
  • Like 3