IGNORED

Toki for the 7800 PAL / NTSC Edition Cartridge POLL

Willard

216 members have voted

1. 1. Preferred Version of Toki

• NTSC
    • PAL

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

This is one of the, if not the most impressive looking 7800 game. It recreates the arcade graphics very closely, I am impressed. The level of detail really is great.

It is just a bit slow compared to other versions it seems, but nothing too bad. The music however is horrible, so I bet most will turn it off instantly. ^^

• Like 4

The question is not about winning, it is about figuring out how many to produce for each region.

Looking at the poll I thought it was to determine the preferred cart version of Toki to release into the wild. In which case, the NTSC is the preferred choice.

Edited by Tartfox

NTSC cart wanted.

Lots of amazing things about 7800 Toki, like how late it was made for a 1984 system, how complete it is (from what is shown, looks ready to beta test then release).

The 7800 was there to be the Atari 2600 V.2, a 2600 compatible with a faster CPU and graphics chip -- improved sound and expansion via Cartridge and Expansion Port, but they gave up innovating after the "crash", releasing their 1979 home computer as a 5200 game system so they could sell all the software already developed and running on the Atari 800.

And I recall the 5200 before I had an Atari 800XL and remember thinking the early release games (Ms Pac Man, Centipede, etc.) I already had on the 2600 and that and ColecoVision and a real arcade place was good enough.

Then when the 7800 finally was released, it had a lot of the same launch titles, 1984 games, (Ms. Pac Man, Centipede, etc.) and I was enjoying 800XL Ballblazer, text adventures, BBS communities, and games that were on the 5200 and so many more.

The 7800 was there to be the Atari 2600 V.2, a 2600 compatible with a faster CPU and graphics chip -- improved sound and expansion via Cartridge and Expansion Port, but they gave up innovating after the "crash", releasing their 1979 home computer as a 5200 game system so they could sell all the software already developed and running on the Atari 800.

Semantics, but not really. It was meant to be a next generation system that answered criticism that you couldn't play old Atari games on the new Atari machine (5200).

Will the fixed ROMs be released?

"As mentioned in the Toki discovery thread, we will be releasing the ROM, shortly after we make the cartridges available" :)

Toki discovery thread mention link...here. ;)

Just wondering if a estimated price per cart is determined yet? Also if more than one cart per person is allowed and if box and manuals will be included or cartridge only.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Did someone mention a box?

:ponder: :-D

• Like 1

I think the thread should be retitled toki no pokey sound. If you actually read any of the info on this thread you will see it is stated tia sound only

Also you will read that it is asked at least 4 times and answered 6 or 8 times that it is tia sound only.

• Like 1

I think the thread should be retitled toki no pokey sound. If you actually read any of the info on this thread you will see it is stated tia sound only

Also you will read that it is asked at least 4 times and answered 6 or 8 times that it is tia sound only.

I don't think anyone will be doing homebrew hacks of this game to add Pokey audio without the source code. A Pokey soundtrack with TIA sound effects would be awesome though.

• Like 1

What I am getting at is I can not believe this many people keep asking about the pokey sound.

There probably aren't even enough cycles to add POKEY sound to the PAL version, so drop the dream and forget about it. It was hard enough to get a semi-non-glitchy NTSC version working. I can add a nice juicy POKEY track, but you probably wouldn't be able to see anything on the screen.

• Like 2

There probably aren't even enough cycles to add POKEY sound to the PAL version, so drop the dream and forget about it. It was hard enough to get a semi-non-glitchy NTSC version working. I can add a nice juicy POKEY track, but you probably wouldn't be able to see anything on the screen.

Yes I agree. I was not asking for pokey sound.

I was stating that people can not read the details about this game in this thread saying many times that pokey sound will not be included and still keep asking about it as if reading words is a new concept.

Yes I agree. I was not asking for pokey sound.

I was stating that people can not read the details about this game in this thread saying many times that pokey sound will not be included and still keep asking about it as if reading words is a new concept.

Maybe if you'd done a little reading yourself before mouthing off, you'd have seen that I asked the question before anything was said about what kind of sound the game used -- and also before the video was posted.

My question was answered by CPUWIZ within three minutes of being asked; I'm not responsible for people quoting my question from a week ago.

Edited by MrFish