IGNORED

Coming back to my TI!

MaDDuck

Hey All...

i dusted off by beige 99 and have her set up again. I'm using a WICO adapter with Kraft mazemaster joysticks going through a composite cable to a Toshiba flat CRT and it looks beautiful! I passed my PEB on to a friend so I need to get set back up.

To get up to speed, I'm checking out arcadeshopper's, "Extended Basic v2.7 Suite" It looks like a great Swiss army knife cartridge.

Also the nanoPEB looks great. It seems a bit too easy to use. Anybody running one here?

And to top it all off, an F18A!! Will it really display all screen modes through VGA? Is there anything that trips it up or that it cannot display correctly.

And lastly, what ever happened to www.texintreasures.com ? I ordered from them years ago, got my current system from them actually, and had a great experience.

Thanks all.

:twisted:

• Like 2

Texin*Treasures still sells stuff online through their eBay store. MDUDE is the seller ID.

NanoPEBs are no longer made by the designer. Several of us have contacted him to try and get the rights to make more of them, so far without success.

One note with the XB 2.7 cartridge: if you don't have 32K attached to your machine, most of the cartridge won't work. A lot of the utilities in it are lobbed into the expansion memory and launched from there--this cartridge and many of the new multicartridges use the same load-and-launch philosophy. It is possible to make huge cartridges that run solely from cartridge space, but things like that have to be developed from scratch or by careful modifications to existing programs. Modifications like that are generally time-consuming and not worth the overall effort, especially when considering that there are alternatives, as noted above. Rasmus went through and modified the Atarisoft images to make a console-only multicart image for them (and it includes two unreleased Ararisoft games in addition to all of the released titles), and Acadiel made a nice image that incorporated about 60 of the 8K cartridge images released for the TI. It doesn't require anything but the console either.

The F18A is a fantastic peripheral enhancement. It will do anything a TMS9918A will, but the output will be VGA compatible. Definitely a good thing to have if you don't have an older monitor or TV set. It also incorporates some additional features, like more sprites on a line, an 80-column text mode, and an entire TMS9900 processor core that runs inside the VDP. A few great programs now take advantage of its features, and it is popular enough that there will soon be more.

• Like 3

Sounds great!

I appreciate the insight, Ksarul.

I saw this link from VertexRoli:

http://www.stargames.be/shop/105-accessoires

It looks like it is available. Is this still accurate?

I got a PM from Ω TI pointing me to a couple of his VERY useful threads, one saying that the F18A is out of production too. :(

Is there another way to add 32K without a PEB or major-A$$ soldering? That's what appealed most to me about the microPEB.

Just ordered one.

The wife may KILL me. LOL

Will a cable like this work to hook her up?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-Gold-Male-To-VGA-HD-15-Male-15Pin-Adapter-Cable-6FT-1-8M-1080P-/361517185626?hash=item542c1a7a5a:g:9hgAAOSwKOhW8eF4

More like: << THIS ONE >> Hopefully your monitor or TV has a VGA input. Otherwise, you'll probably also need << THIS KIND OF ADAPTER >>

Okay, saw you edited your message @2:44, yes, that converter one should do the job.

Edited by --- Ω ---
  • Like 1

Thanks Ω,

I like the one that you linked better. Except I HATE wallwart AC adapters.

It looks like it will work great.

I'll get that, and a VGA to VGA cable to go from my 99 to the box, and an HDMI cable to go to my TV. My TV doesn't have native VGA unfortunately.

As a side note, I got in on the kickstarter for this piece of kit:

https://www.facebook.com/hdretrovision/?fref=ts

It gives a strong 240p component picture for the SEGA GENESIS.

I've started to "chase the unicorn" for the best video quality for my systems.

Between my Chameleon Turbo on my C-64, and Framemeister for SNES, this will fit in perfectly.

BTW, you *NEVER* catch the unicorn. :)

But it's a hell of a ride to try.

Edited by MaDDuck

Welcome back! I myself have returned recently. I bought a populated PEB a few years back from Texin Treasures. Great guy. Glad he is still around. I never had space to set the system up permanently so it was sat in storage. We finally got a house that has a spare room I can use as a hobby room so I can set up some retro systems permanently. Like you I am discovering all the neat things I have been missing in the TI scene. It's a great time to come back. I got the F18A a couple of weeks ago and it is amazing. I would say it's purchase #1, followed up by the PEB and memory.

Edited by Arnuphis

Welcome to TI paradise, MaDDuck!

Sad news about the NanoPEB. I must've gotten one of the last ones he made. I sincerely hope somebody else can carry on making it, and maybe even improving the design someday.

Highly recommend the F18A, and even though mine has not arrived yet, the FlashROM cart.

Darryl

Cool!

What computer was the F18A in natively?

All I have to do know is wait,

Oh, and I'll have to dig up my Dremel! I haven't seen it in years...

I have everything on its way.

If only I could get a nanoPEB or other flash storage/RAM solution.

The F18A was designed as a drop-in replacement for any TMS9918A VDP. It was never truly native to any machine out there--but it has been installed in a very wide spectrum of machines that use the TMS9918A VDP, with a very large number of them in TI-99/4As.

• Like 3