IGNORED

Antonia 4MB Operational Questions

Larry

Thanks, Roy and Sijmen-

I have two MyIDE-II carts. One has Version 5 and the other 20130303. The 20130303 is probably unchanged from when I received it from Atarimax. Versions 5 has been updated several times.

I have two 4MB upgrades for the XL series. (I swapped the upgrades in the same 800XL, and the MyIDE-II carts still behaves the same.)

Roy, could you send me a copy of your cartridge firmware, if you have that file. I'll apply it to one of my carts and see if that affects anything.

-Larry

Larry,

I don't know how to get this firmware. I have never even tried to apply a different firmware except for the USB installed with the latest MaxFlash Studio download now at version 29. Called core_firmware.bin

USB installed when updated with the MaxFlash Cartridge Studio software.

If you have a different hardware firmware maybe you could sent it to me to install and see if it crashes my MyIDE ][ Cartridge.

Edited by rdea6

While I'm waiting for some info from Mr-Atari, I installed the other Antonia in a different computer -- this one is a 600XL. It does fit, but the bottom of the Antonia board interferes with some logic chips, so the back row of Antonia header pins won't seat completely in the socket. To fit perfectly, I'd probably have to remove one or two sockets on the 600XL board. However, the header pins go in far enough to work fine.

But anyway, both cartridges behave exactly the same as in the previous computer. So I'm leaning to the issue (or at least the cure) being with the MyIDE-II cartridge firmware.

-Larry

While I'm waiting for some info from Mr-Atari, I installed the other Antonia in a different computer -- this one is a 600XL. It does fit, but the bottom of the Antonia board interferes with some logic chips, so the back row of Antonia header pins won't seat completely in the socket. To fit perfectly, I'd probably have to remove one or two sockets on the 600XL board. However, the header pins go in far enough to work fine.

But anyway, both cartridges behave exactly the same as in the previous computer. So I'm leaning to the issue (or at least the cure) being with the MyIDE-II cartridge firmware.

-Larry

Could you post some pictures of the fit problems you mentioned. When my board arrives I'll also be installing it into a 600XL and any information you can provide would really help.

Thanks ;-)

- Michael

OK, here is the interference I mentioned and the simple fix.

Directly above the cpu socket is U14 -- a 74LS14 IC. On the bottom of the Antonia PCB, there are the pins for a twenty pin header used to connect to the MMU socket, U2. (With the Antonia PCB tuned over as shown), the first three pairs of header pins can interfere with U14, preventing the Antonia board header pins from fully engaging in the cpu socket. This really only affects the cpu header pins 21-40. I snipped the first three sets of the protruding pins on the left as shown in the picture. Note the orientation of the Antonia board -- upside down with the cable pointing to the front of the 600XL. This could also be cured by replacing the U14 socket with a low-profile socket or soldering U14 directly to the main board (ugh), but this is a lot easier. Just make sure that you only cut off the excess pins -- not the solder mound.

Note that it is possible that you might not even have to do this, depending on the type of socket used for U14 or even if U14 is soldered in. But I think most 600XL's will have a small interference as I described.

-Larry

post-8008-0-39704600-1467060829_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Different subject... I wrote this flashing procedure up for someone who asked a question and thought it might be helpful for others. The info can be found elsewhere in this thread, but I think this is a pretty clear and comprehensive explanation:

Make an ATR (or disk) using either SDX or MyDos to hold ANT.EXE (downloaded from drac030's web pages http://drac030.krap.pl/en-acc-pliki.php)

Put also on this ATR the OS ROM files and BASIC rom files that you want to use.

LOAD the ANT.EXE without BASIC.

When loaded, the program will show you the current settings. The dashes show the rom pairs currently active. (Note: you are always using the pair -- you do not pick and choose separately.) On this same screen, the type of Atari expanded memory is shown highlighted in inverse.

Initially all slots are filled with the same "default" roms -- XL/XE OS + Rev C Basic.

If you want to change a slot, press "F" which takes you to the next screen showing all the slot pairs #0 -- #7. Note that the slot that is currently active will have the "#" highlighted.

Use the up/down cursor keys to highlight the slot you want to change. For example, let's say you want to change the OS in number #3

Press "L" -- and the program asks if you want to Load an "O" os rom or "B" BASIC. Let's say you want to change the OS rom to Omnimon XL.

Press "O" and the program will show the contents of D1: which has your ATR or disk with the OS and BASIC images that you want to use. You must have previously put "OMNIMON.ROM" on this ATR/disk.

Use the Cursor keys to highlight that file then RETURN. The program will immediately load that file into the proper buffer position in memory. (Nothing has been flashed, this is just replacing #3 in the buffer.)

Press RETURN to go back to the previous screen that shows the slot pairs.

Repeat if you want to change something else. Maybe you also want to insert Altirra BASIC into the same slot #3?

Repeat the same actions as above for this or other slot changes.

When you have everything you want loaded into the buffer, then press "F" (Flash All).

The program flashes *ALL* the buffer contents.

At any time, use ESCAPE to take you back -- aborting whatever you were doing. Of course, don't try to abort while the program is actually flashing. You are probably prevented from doing that, but anyway, don't do it.

When you change a slot pair, write down what you have changed. Currently the program doesn't have a way to keep the title contents in the flash rom. (Hopefully drac030 will find a way to do that.) When I get finished changing mine, I'll affix a nice printed label on the computer showing all the slot contents.

When finished with changing, press ESCAPE until you have exited. The program will automatically reboot the computer if anything has been changed. (edited)

If anyone sees an error or something is not clear, do let me know so I can edit this.

-Larry

• Like 4

Thank you, Larry, for the detailed instructions. I see that I will probably have to include some sort of instruction like this to the later releases of the program.

Only one correction: the program reboots only if the hardware configuration has been actually changed, or if the ROMs have been reflashed. When one changes nothing and flashes nothing, the program should exit without rebooting.

As for the content description of the flash (what is stored in what slot), I thought about using some portion of the slot #7 to store it. For example, if the first 4k of OS, or the Self Test area is used like that, the slot could still be programmed with 400/800 OS.

If someone does not need such content index, all of the slot #7 could be used, it should be no problem to detect, if there is the flash directory stored in certain place of the slot #7, or something else.

Edited by drac030
  • Like 4

-Larry

Have you cleaned the Cart slot fingers and the MyIDE ][ edge connector.?? Since neither work it might be slightly corroded card edge to Cart contacts..

Thank you to everyone for sharing your instructions and experiences so far with this Antonia upgrade. I installed mine in a stock 16k 600xl this evening. Like Larry, I had to cut header pins to get it to fit properly. I went ahead and trimmed all of them because some were also getting close to the first few pins on U5, and with limited visibility underneath the Antonia pcb I didn't want to take any chances. I may have to replace the U10 socket with a precision one because one slight touch and the Antonia board pops out, but for now it is in place and works. I haven't tried flashing yet, but have tested the memory modes and it works like expected. I even removed the ram, OS, and Basic and no problems. Overall, a very easy upgrade (at least on the 600xl).

Thanks, Roy and Sijmen-

If I boot the Version 5 cartridge, I get a blue screen and nothing else. No boot. If I boot the 20130303, then in addition to the blue screen, I will get the normal SIO boot from APE D1:. It boots at hi-speed SIO, which is normal for the B16 rom. In neither case with the MyIDE-II cartridge inserted do I get the MYBIOS "Welcome Screen." If I boot without the cartridge inserted, I get the Welcome Screen and then press RETURN to boot from SIO. Both slots #1 and #7 behave the same.

So the cartridge firmware does affect this, although it may or may not be the key issue.

-Larry

In B16:

You can call the welcome screen (or force an powerup-cycle) using shift+control+caps.

Then you can also read the MyBIOS messages about the MENU or INTERFACE being detected or not.

I'll PM you a pre-test B17 when ready, currently running into IO-problems getting SIO2BT to work stable....

In B16:

You can call the welcome screen (or force an powerup-cycle) using shift+control+caps.

Then you can also read the MyBIOS messages about the MENU or INTERFACE being detected or not.

I'll PM you a pre-test B17 when ready, currently running into IO-problems getting SIO2BT to work stable....

On Version 5 cart, I get a few spurious characters scattered on the blue screen (with no SIO drive connected). If I press/hold cntl-shift-caps, it does call the welcome screen. If I press return, I get as shown in the attached pic.

On the 20130303 cart, I get the memopad with no SIO drive connected. (Makes sense, since this one boots.) Like the V5 cart, I get the welcome screen with c-s-caps. Pressing return gives me the same screen as shown in the pics.

How to update the cart firmware to what Roy has? Is there any older version of MyBios that you suspect might work?

Thanks,

Larry

post-8008-0-41040600-1467112746_thumb.jpg

On Version 5 cart, I get a few spurious characters scattered on the blue screen (with no SIO drive connected). If I press/hold cntl-shift-caps, it does call the welcome screen. If I press return, I get as shown in the attached pic.

On the 20130303 cart, I get the memopad with no SIO drive connected. (Makes sense, since this one boots.) Like the V5 cart, I get the welcome screen with c-s-caps. Pressing return gives me the same screen as shown in the pics.

How to update the cart firmware to what Roy has? Is there any older version of MyBios that you suspect might work?

Thanks,

Larry

Reading your post, it's not the flash-content or MyBIOS that does this, but the CPLD-core firmware.

MyBIOS runs, but cartridge-access is corrupt.

I send you an email with some jteg-bin files.

I do not want to get hung-up users or non functional MyIDE-][ cartridges.....

I have to find the files first, moved to a new computer and did not transfer all my files. ;-)

You need the atarimax-USB programmer to update the CPLD firmware.

N#5 is a test version, you got that from me I assume.

Most likely with video-keyhole enabled.

20130303 is current, 20120907 is from the first few batches.

You have to ask Steve what the exact difference is.

What I know is something about wait cycles after RD5 before the CPLD becomes active. So any changes to the original MMU-timing will screw things up and reading this thread, not only MyIDE-][.

Edited by mr-atari

More on compatibility.

I had previously posted that the Black Box works fine with Antonia. Today I tested the MIO and it just black screens. Too bad, but I rarely use it anyway. It may need the EXSEL mod that evidently the IDE+2 Rev C requires? (My Rev D works just fine with no mod.)

As Mr-Atari mentioned, the firmware "downgrade" does allow the MyIDE-II to work properly, and it still works fine with the Ultimate and stock machines I've tried. But I suspect there is a "catch-22" in using the earlier firmware. Else it would not have been changed.

-Larry

(snip)

As for the content description of the flash (what is stored in what slot), I thought about using some portion of the slot #7 to store it. For example, if the first 4k of OS, or the Self Test area is used like that, the slot could still be programmed with 400/800 OS.

If someone does not need such content index, all of the slot #7 could be used, it should be no problem to detect, if there is the flash directory stored in certain place of the slot #7, or something else.

Hi Konrad-

I had an idea for your consideration. It would be a bit handier to be able to switch OS pairs more easily. If you do end up putting the slot descriptions in slot #7, would it be possible to put a "switcher" routine in some of the unused space that could be called from the keyboard via hot keys? It is a bit cumbersome to run the flasher program from SIO with no carts just to change OS. IMO, of course.

-Larry

• Like 2

I posted earlier that my MIO black screened when I tried it. Today I tried it again and it works fine! I can only presume that the CF card was glitched or that the Acard was not ready. (?)

But anyway, my MIO does work using XL/XE OS with reverse Basic, so that means that all my drive hardware does work! Terrific!

-Larry

Edit: The MIO actually reads fine, but won't write. Sorry!

• Like 1

Larry, thanks for the suggestion, but I do not think it can be done this way, as it would involve patching all the OS-es there.

The only thing I can do is to prepare a separate config program, without the flasher. It should be shorter and so easier to load from SIO.

• Like 3

I received my Antiona yesterday.

Was 5 minutes (or less) installation in my 800XL (all socketed).

MyIDE-][ firmware 20130303; nop, nothing nada, cartridge doesn't even comes up.

Downgraded to firmware 20120907: tada, got something working.

MyBIOS seems to run nice and smoothly on this 65816 :-)

Currently running 4.9.B17 pretest SIO2BT-enabled.

• Like 2

More on compatibility...

It would appear that my only hard drive device that can successfully load ANT.EXE is the IDE+2 rev d. I don't have the EXSEL mod in my 600XL Antonia, but looks like I need to do it.

For the Black Box, if I try to load ANT.EXE from any drive with the BB plugged onto the PBI, I get a "device not found" error.

For the MIO it's worse, the MIO will read, go to its menu, etc, but I cannot write to the MIO. In fact, if I try to load ANT.EXE, the MIO gets locked up. (I've edited the post above where I said that it worked -- it only partly works.)

The MyIDE-II can't be used for ANT.EXE -- gives a "remove cartridge" error.

@ Simius-

I will do the EXSEL mod, but when you were working on getting the IDE+2 "C" version working, did you see similar behavior? Or something else?

Being able to load ANT.EXE from a D1: hard drive and use the menu would make using the menu much easier, I think. Especially not having to unplug the PBI to load it from SIO.

-Larry

It would appear that my only hard drive device that can successfully load ANT.EXE is the IDE+2 rev d.

Do I understand well: these problems only occur with ANT.EXE and no other program?

The MyIDE-II can't be used for ANT.EXE -- gives a "remove cartridge" error.

This means that something occupies the cartridge area $A000-$BFFF. The BASIC, by chance?