IGNORED

Millipede 5200

rushguy

On 11/26/2023 at 4:20 AM, sramirez2008 said:

Marc Oberhäuser has been providing Millipede boxes from his Etsy store. Better act fast if you want one, as there is one left.

I purchased a box for my copy a long time ago (below).

IMG_2287.jpg

IMG_2289.jpg

I just bought a bunch of 5200 boxes from Marc and the quality is simply amazing. I was wondering if you just put your cart in the box as is or if you were able to buy a insert or make one to secure the cart in the box? Looking  for ideas on how to secure the cart,  I hate leaving it loose moving around 

26 minutes ago, Neogeoman said:

just bought a bunch of 5200 boxes from Marc and the quality is simply amazing. I was wondering if you just put your cart in the box as is or if you were able to buy a insert or make one to secure the cart in the box? Looking  for ideas on how to secure the cart,  I hate leaving it loose moving around

Marc does sell box inserts, they are apparently for the 2600 cartridges, but I bet you can cut the cartridge hole a little bigger to fit the 5200 cartridge.

11 hours ago, Neogeoman said:

Thanks for letting me know I'll reach out to Marc I'll make them work

You can order them from his Etsy Store. https://www.etsy.com/listing/1571383406/generic-cartridge-holder-atari-2600-box?click_key=cf88c17ad260e3d0f8e32b09afa1daa12f2f6136%3A1571383406&click_sum=c6a2dd70&ref=shop_home_active_12&crt=1&sts=1

1 hour ago, Lauren Tyler said:

What I always wondered is why the Atari 5200 version of Millipede is so slow?

Well it does start pretty darn slow but if you play long enough it gets real fast, I did make a millipede (refined) hack, that does start out a little faster, but I didn't want to make it to fast right off the get go, allows for some play time, to me anyways.

Speed chart comparison.

OG   /   hack 

9             6    score 00

7             5    score 10,000

5             4    score 30,000

4             3    score 60,000

3             2    score 120,000

2             1    score (not sure)

1             1    score (not sure)

5 hours ago, Albert said:

I have a ton of 5200 box inserts that were made to fit 5200 carts, so it would be unnecessary to hack up a 2600 insert.  If anyone needs some, please let me know, I'll sell them for $2 each plus shipping.

..Al

PM sent.

• 2 months later...
On 7/4/2016 at 7:24 AM, rushguy said:

Read the review on video game critic saying it was sloppy , choppy and way too easy , not sure if this is same version. How does this game compare to the 5200 cenipede in terms of gameplay and graphics?

It really drops the centipede aspect of the game. If you are expecting a better centipede, you will be disappointed.  It really doesn't retain the same feel the way 2600 millipede keeps the 2600 Centipede feel, but just amped up.   Given how good the 5200 port of Centipede is, that is not at all surprising. I don't like the graphics style of it.

It's definitely not too easy.  I don't recall it being choppy either.  It just doesn't feel like a centipede derived game.  I'm pretty sure it plays exactly the same as the 800 version.  If you like that version, you will like the 5200 version.

If you can play 2600 games, I reccommend 2600 Millipede over 5200 Millipede.  It feels and plays much more like Millipede.

It's not a bad game. I've sunk many hours into it. 

On 2/26/2024 at 10:17 PM, christo930 said:

If you can play 2600 games, I reccommend 2600 Millipede over 5200 Millipede.  It feels and plays much more like Millipede.

It's not a bad game. I've sunk many hours into it. 

2600 Millipede doesn't even look like the arcade. Atari 5200 version looks, feels, and plays more like the arcade than the 2600 version. 2600 Millipede is so choppy too. 

Edited by space_dungeon

4 hours ago, space_dungeon said:

2600 Millipede doesn't even look like the arcade. Atari 5200 version looks, feels, and plays more like the arcade than the 2600 version. 2600 Millipede is so choppy too. 

I disagree, obviously.  Such a fast game has to be choppy, it's by design. If you move pixel by pixel, you're limited to 60 pixels per second movement.  Items go from the top to the bottom in a second.

While obviously the graphics take a hit on the 2600, it is by far the best home version of the game, at least on 8 bit systems.

Like I said in the other post, I think 5200 millipede is well worth playing and getting.  But 2600 millipede is just better.

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, christo930 said:

I disagree, obviously.  Such a fast game has to be choppy, it's by design. If you move pixel by pixel, you're limited to 60 pixels per second movement.  Items go from the top to the bottom in a second.

While obviously the graphics take a hit on the 2600, it is by far the best home version of the game, at least on 8 bit systems.

Like I said in the other post, I think 5200 millipede is well worth playing and getting.  But 2600 millipede is just better.

The proof is in the pudding, you can barely see a difference between 2600 rectangle centipede and the same look with added square looking bugs on millipede. 2600 versions are ok but the 5200 destroys 2600 all day. This is a 5200 forum and a lot of people here agree with me.  I had another guy on a different forum try and tell me 2600 Zaxxon was superior than the 5200 version the other day too. Not sure what you guys are seeing. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, space_dungeon said:

The proof is in the pudding, you can barely see a difference between 2600 rectangle centipede and the same look with added square looking bugs on millipede. 2600 versions are ok but the 5200 destroys 2600 all day. This is a 5200 forum and a lot of people here agree with me.  I had another guy on a different forum try and tell me 2600 Zaxxon was superior than the 5200 version the other day too. Not sure what you guys are seeing. 

5200 Centipede blows the 2600 away, especially with the track ball.  Graphically, 5200 millipede looks better.  But the 2600 plays more like millipede than the 5200 version.

Unlike Zaxxon, which most agree is not Zaxxon and is a stinker besides, Millipede is one of the 2600's best conversions.  You would not find many people around here who would say Millipede for the 2600 is a bad game.

What do you mean "you guys?"  I'm not a troll. I've been around since the earliest days of Atariage after rec.games.video.classic et al were abandoned.  I'm a big fan of most Atari systems including the 5200. It's got a lot of good ports.  There are ports on the 5200 that are better and there are ports on the 2600 that are better.  Surely you wouldn't deny Space Invaders is better on the 2600?

• Like 1

On 3/5/2024 at 11:10 PM, christo930 said:

The 2600 version has Trak-ball support?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ledzep said:

There already is a hack of 2600 Millipede called “Millipede Trak-Ball” available in the 2600 Hacks section on this forum. It is kick-ass!!! Much better than with a joystick that’s for sure.

there are other hacks for the 2600 that support both 2600 Trak-Balls (CX22 and CX80) including Centipede and Missile Command among them. Just be sure if using a Harmony encore or another multicart to use the joystick to select it and then switch to the trak-ball (make sure the trak-ball switch is set to “TB” before you plug it in)…. HUGE DIFFERENCE and much better than the joystick versions at that!!!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, ledzep said:

Not by default (the commercial cartridges), but there are hacks that do allow for it.  Though I do not recall playing the 5200 version (of Millipede) with my trackball.  I have played 5200 Centipede with the trackball and it is a masterpiece.  I have played the 2600 versions with the TB via the hack (not via the joystick emulation function), though using the trackball, I liked 2600 Centipede better than 2600 millipede trackball hack. It may just be the Centipede hack was better.

Why Atari did not build in trackball support is beyond me.  Being able to play with a trackball was bringing more of the arcade experience home.  I don't think either Centipede for the Colecovision or the 7800 support the trackball. Though I'm not sure if Centipede Colecovision came out after the roller controller was available and specs nailed down.  There is absolutely no excuse for the 7800 version not supporting the trackball.  Using the trackball through joystick emulation absolutely sucks.

Edited by christo930

1 minute ago, christo930 said:

There is absolutely no excuse for the 7800 version not supporting the trackball.

We do have a hack of 7800 Centipede in the AtariAge Store that adds proper trak-ball support:

https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1067

1 minute ago, christo930 said:

Using the trackball through joystick emulation absolutely sucks.

I agree.  :)

..Al

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, christo930 said:

Not by default (the commercial cartridges), but there are hacks that do allow for it.  Though I do not recall playing the 5200 version (of Millipede) with my trackball.  I have played 5200 Centipede with the trackball and it is a masterpiece.  I have played the 2600 versions with the TB via the hack (not via the joystick emulation function), though using the trackball, I liked 2600 Centipede better than 2600 millipede trackball hack. It may just be the Centipede hack was better.

Why Atari did not build in trackball support is beyond me.  Being able to play with a trackball was bringing more of the arcade experience home.  I don't think either Centipede for the Colecovision or the 7800 support the trackball. Though I'm not sure if Centipede Colecovision came out after the roller controller was available and specs nailed down.  There is absolutely no excuse for the 7800 version not supporting the trackball.  Using the trackball through joystick emulation absolutely sucks.

I can see a very strong argument for both the 2600 and 5200 ports of Centipede. The 5200 version looks, sounds faithful to the arcade port, is fun to play but can be difficult at times. The 2600 version, while graphically inferior, is more addicting play. For some reason, I never warmed up to the Atari 8 bit version though.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Flyindrew said:

I can see a very strong argument for both the 2600 and 5200 ports of Centipede. The 5200 version looks, sounds faithful to the arcade port, is fun to play but can be difficult at times. The 2600 version, while graphically inferior, is more addicting play. For some reason, I never warmed up to the Atari 8 bit version though.

Oh I’ll tell you how many times I’ve not been able to avoid that pesky spider in 5200 Centipede as opposed to the 2600 version, when it comes down to it 2600 Centipede while still graphically inferior to the masterpiece on Big Sexy, is much easier for me even in standard play and last night I scored over 65,000 points on her using my CX80 trak-ball using the hack, I can barely reach half as much on the 5200 version mainly because that spider starts honing in on you when you get too good for too long.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2024 at 9:37 PM, christo930 said:

5200 Centipede blows the 2600 away, especially with the track ball.  Graphically, 5200 millipede looks better.  But the 2600 plays more like millipede than the 5200 version.

Unlike Zaxxon, which most agree is not Zaxxon and is a stinker besides, Millipede is one of the 2600's best conversions.  You would not find many people around here who would say Millipede for the 2600 is a bad game.

What do you mean "you guys?"  I'm not a troll. I've been around since the earliest days of Atariage after rec.games.video.classic et al were abandoned.  I'm a big fan of most Atari systems including the 5200. It's got a lot of good ports.  There are ports on the 5200 that are better and there are ports on the 2600 that are better.  Surely you wouldn't deny Space Invaders is better on the 2600?

I disagree that 2600 Millipede plays more like the arcade Millipede and there people on here that agree. And I never said people say Millipede 2600 is a bad game. In comparison, 5200 Millipede looks, sounds, feels, and plays better than the 2600 version. The 2600 version is only a little faster. But the 5200 version speeds up in the later boards. 

• Like 1

5200 MP is a great port, and challenging.  

2600 MP looks to be a very talented effort in programming, the millipede segments and other creatures move very smoothly.  I’d guess that the player repeat registers are heavily used. Too bad all the mushrooms are rectangles just like 2600 centipede though.  

We recently had a 2 week HSC and that was the most I’d played this A8/5200 version ever, it’s a great port. It may seem choppier than 5200 Centipede because it uses more character soft sprites than Centipede had to, which rarely can be moved as smoothly as a dedicated player missile sprite.  But 10 seconds into gameplay, and I don’t really notice any choppiness, but I’m fixated on the gameplay. I’d pick 5200 MP over 2600 MP if I had to choose. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Cafeman said:

5200 MP is a great port, and challenging.  

2600 MP looks to be a very talented effort in programming, the millipede segments and other creatures move very smoothly.  I’d guess that the player repeat registers are heavily used. Too bad all the mushrooms are rectangles just like 2600 centipede though.  

We recently had a 2 week HSC and that was the most I’d played this A8/5200 version ever, it’s a great port. It may seem choppier than 5200 Centipede because it uses more character soft sprites than Centipede had to, which rarely can be moved as smoothly as a dedicated player missile sprite.  But 10 seconds into gameplay, and I don’t really notice any choppiness, but I’m fixated on the gameplay. I’d pick 5200 MP over 2600 MP if I had to choose. 

Great take. It's easily 5200, hands down, better than the 2600 version.

Millipede.jpg

• Like 2