IGNORED

Atari Flashback Portable!

Atari Portable??

XfcE2Wj.gif

If it can play Pitfall 2 either built in or via SD card, I'm so picking this up. Just one question, did you guys recycle mold from Genesis portable? 6 buttons when the system had only 1 button and very few games supported more than 1 via booster add on. What about paddle games?

• Like 2

Does it have an in for joysticks while being played on tv?

I wish it did too but I suppose that would mean changing the mould for the handheld. The mould is the same as the Sega portable handheld to reduce costs so I suppose it's understandable that it won't have controller ports as not having them will also reduce the cost for the consumer. It is a budget handheld after all. :)

• Like 1

Atari Portable??

XfcE2Wj.gif

If it can play Pitfall 2 either built in or via SD card, I'm so picking this up. Just one question, did you guys recycle mold from Genesis portable? 6 buttons when the system had only 1 button and very few games supported more than 1 via booster add on. What about paddle games?

Most paddle games should work because the emulator enables joystick support in those games. It's not ideal, obviously. Yes, it uses the same molds as the Genesis portable. That's not a bad thing because it's a good design. The buttons are different and have proper labels specific to this handheld.

And no, you can't play Pitfall 2 on it. Most other games should work, though.

• Like 1

These questions are answered in the other thread.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/250709-2016-flashback-speculation-thread/page-1#

It probably makes sense to keep all the discussion in one place.

I agree. We should probably pin a FAQ as the first post in both of these threads.

• Like 1

I much prefer Curt Vendel's layout personally, but I might still pick this up.

His layout didn't support every game, but yes, it seems a certain segment of core classic gamers would prefer that approach (as well as not liking anything not produced by him, which is also understandable since there are a lot of loyal people out there, no matter what has happened since). In any case, the one action button is fully accessible and there's little danger of accidentally hitting the other buttons (switches) in all the games that don't support them. I think once if/when you get your hands on this, you may come to appreciate having all of the switch functionality as well as additional functions like pause accessible from your right thumb. We'll see.

• Like 3

For the price and what this does, it is a day one purchase for me. Being able to play homebrews on an SD card, as well as majority of the library portable will be my go to system of choice. Sign me up. I do want to state that I am happy to do a review on my retro channel about the system as well.

• Like 2

What I find more fascinating personally is the vitriol on Facebook by a certain segment of Atari "fans". We finally get a portable Atari 2600 with SD card slots for $40 or less (at retail) and there's still tons of hate towards it. Whether it's complaining about having the six buttons on the front (despite my clarifying that they have good reasons to be there), people stating that they already have their own franken handhelds that are better, just get an Android handheld, hey this clones the look of the Genesis portable, it looks nothing like an Atari 2600, etc., the complaints from a vocal minority are never ending. That's why it's so hard to cater to that type of audience and why products like these tend to focus on the mass market rather than the niche/connoisseur. It's either make lots of people happy with an honest effort or never make a vocal minority happy no matter what you do.

I have never had much interest in the Flashback products, but as an Atari and Intellivision gamer from the Golden Age I have supported and will continue to wholeheartedly support the efforts to manufacture and market the Flashbacks. (I have helped persuade two of my friends to purchase three Flashback products when they were on the fence about doing so.) The offerings improve with every release, and the Flashbacks are doing some heavy lifting in the effort to not only preserve the brands and games of video gaming's early years but actually rebuild them, introduce them to new players and customers, and give hope that perhaps someday soon Atari (and Intellivision, Colecovision et al?) will become a force to be reckoned with once again.

You can't please everyone, we all know that. But any business today faces a customer base which has more leverage than ever. So-called social media facilitates a very effective propaganda machine. AtGames just has to make sure its message is heard, which will probably entail lots of repetition. It also has to be persuasive, and have counter-arguments ready for the dissenters (not tit-for-tat trolling as many businesses seem to go for these days). And within all those negative reactions there sometimes is good information to be mined, such as legitimate criticisms or better ideas.

I think the entire Flashback project has done well and keeps getting stronger and better, and I think Bill Loguidice is a big reason to have hope for even better product offerings to come. He's even worn me down: once I get a look at the game list I'm probably going to commit to buying the Flashback 7. The Frogger and Space Invaders updates have me curious, and the idea that I could easily unplug the Flashback and take it with me to visit family and friends (which I wouldn't care to do with my vintage 2600 and its cartridge library) means Atari games could be making appearances at the parties and holiday get-togethers I attend.

To Bill, AtGames and Atari: Thank you, and keep up the good work!!!

• Like 5

I have never had much interest in the Flashback products, but as an Atari and Intellivision gamer from the Golden Age I have supported and will continue to wholeheartedly support the efforts to manufacture and market the Flashbacks. (I have helped persuade two of my friends to purchase three Flashback products when they were on the fence about doing so.) The offerings improve with every release, and the Flashbacks are doing some heavy lifting in the effort to not only preserve the brands and games of video gaming's early years but actually rebuild them, introduce them to new players and customers, and give hope that perhaps someday soon Atari (and Intellivision, Colecovision et al?) will become a force to be reckoned with once again.

You can't please everyone, we all know that. But any business today faces a customer base which has more leverage than ever. So-called social media facilitates a very effective propaganda machine. AtGames just has to make sure its message is heard, which will probably entail lots of repetition. It also has to be persuasive, and have counter-arguments ready for the dissenters (not tit-for-tat trolling as many businesses seem to go for these days). And within all those negative reactions there sometimes is good information to be mined, such as legitimate criticisms or better ideas.

I think the entire Flashback project has done well and keeps getting stronger and better, and I think Bill Loguidice is a big reason to have hope for even better product offerings to come. He's even worn me down: once I get a look at the game list I'm probably going to commit to buying the Flashback 7. The Frogger and Space Invaders updates have me curious, and the idea that I could easily unplug the Flashback and take it with me to visit family and friends (which I wouldn't care to do with my vintage 2600 and its cartridge library) means Atari games could be making appearances at the parties and holiday get-togethers I attend.

To Bill, AtGames and Atari: Thank you, and keep up the good work!!!

Well said! :)

• Like 1

Bill,

The new portable sounds great and I can't wait to pick one up! It is probably hard to satify the "Purist and Hard core " atari collectors but that is a small percentage.

I have all the original consoles 2600,5200,7800 but I stall have a Flashback 2 and Coleco FlashBack connect to my main TV where I can enjoy great games with my Granddaughter with out having to shuffle cartridges etc.

To me I consider my Flashback just as much a part of my collection.

Can you tell us more about the 6 buttons on the portable? I have heard nothing.

Thanks,

Everett

Edited by Everett1954
  • Like 1

Can you tell us more about the 6 buttons on the portable? I have heard nothing.

The goal was to replicate the full functionality of the original six switch unit as well as accommodate the handheld's functionality, e.g., Menu and Pause. So there needs to be the six main buttons (which includes one joystick fire button) and additional, smaller buttons in various other places.

• Like 2

Most paddle games should work because the emulator enables joystick support in those games. It's not ideal, obviously. Yes, it uses the same molds as the Genesis portable. That's not a bad thing because it's a good design. The buttons are different and have proper labels specific to this handheld.

And no, you can't play Pitfall 2 on it. Most other games should work, though.

Too bad, Pitfall 2 doesn't run well on my PSP, not sure if I need to try a different 2600 emulator or if the extra sound is killing the PSP.

That's really cool. As much as this excites me, I already have a CFW PSP, but I don't have a VCS emulator on it (I prefer buying carts because they're mostly cheap as chips). If the Flashback 7 has an SD slot on it, that's a Day 1 purchase for me and I'm putting my AV modded Jr and carts up for sale.

So this is a SOAC running an Atari 2600 emulator correct? So it will be the same as the genesis handheld but with different software and the ability to play binaries off an SD card? Sounds interesting. I can see why from a financial point of view ATgames reused the mold. I bet they are using pretty much the same BOM for the whole thing with the Atari flavoring added.

Bill,

The new portable sounds great and I can't wait to pick one up! It is probably hard to satify the "Purist and Hard core " atari collectors but that is a small percentage.

Absolutely correct. The purists and collectards are already going to have the consoles. And if they don't, they will acquire them. As nothing else will do.

They're a small and fading portion of the market anyways. And these flashback/mini units appeal to an entirely different segment.

Too bad, Pitfall 2 doesn't run well on my PSP, not sure if I need to try a different 2600 emulator or if the extra sound is killing the PSP.

Dunno. Don't got a PSP. But Stella is the gold standard for VCS emulation. Everything else to date is second rate.

• Like 1

So this is a SOAC running an Atari 2600 emulator correct? So it will be the same as the genesis handheld but with different software and the ability to play binaries off an SD card? Sounds interesting. I can see why from a financial point of view ATgames reused the mold. I bet they are using pretty much the same BOM for the whole thing with the Atari flavoring added.

It's not a SOAC and it's not the same as the Genesis handheld. It's actually unique internal hardware, basically a newer generation of what's been in the regular Flashbacks. The only major similarities it shares with the Genesis handheld are the case, battery, screen, and general button layout. Even the buttons are molded differently.

• Like 4