IGNORED

Nintendo Classic Mini announced

The lower-end prices from resellers, of supposedly new-in-box dealies, on that e-commerce site named after a river, are about half of what they were about a month-and-a-half ago. Maybe in a few months, once the hoopla has mainly dissipated and if stock comes in and is snapped up, after it then swells up shortly in price from being out-of-stock, and the gouging resurges temporarily, it will drop down, again, say below $100, I might be tempted. Of course, by then, we might see a bunch in second-hand stores, as well, so maybe the price will bottom out. The thing with people, though, as they see something as less of a collectable or commodity , they may not be as careful to ensure they are in great condition and if they grow bored with it, they may just bodger it about. I might settle for a used unit, in very good condition, but that also grows less likely, as time passes. See, the nostalgiast (sp?) in me , kinda wants the case, as it is sort oi cute and "official" , just not the inflated prices. I wanted to get one and replace the innards with a R- Pi or similar SBC and run an emulator on it to get all of the cake. ;) Might not happen, now. Ah, well.

• Like 1

Oh there's been stock this past month, but not much. As I've been posting, Target's been getting a slow stream of them. Seems like 2-3 every number of days.

Do they make it to the store shelves, or are they immediately snapped up by the faithful as soon as the store opens? I would prefer to be able to walk into a store and just get one, not have to ask the sales person to check an inventory computer or go in the back room.

• Like 2

Do they make it to the store shelves, or are they immediately snapped up by the faithful as soon as the store opens? I would prefer to be able to walk into a store and just get one, not have to ask the sales person to check an inventory computer or go in the back room.

I went to an EB-Games store in Montreal last Wednesday, and an employee told me that she sees people lined up at the front door every morning when she unlocks the door, and if there's any new Minis to sell, they're all snatched up immediately. They don't know in advance on which day of the week or even at what time new stocks of NES Minis will arrive, so even after Christmas, the NES Mini is still highly sought after and units are still flying off the shelves (and probably landing in the hands of some opportunistic resellers in the process).

Interestingly, the employee I talked to also said there won't be any new stand-alone NES Mini controllers manufactured by Nintendo, so one should get third-party controllers if possible. Same goes for the NES Mini carrying case, Nintendo won't be making any more of those either. That's what I was told, anyhow.

• Like 1

I went to an EB-Games store in Montreal last Wednesday, and an employee told me that she sees people lined up at the front door every morning when she unlocks the door, and if there's any new Minis to sell, they're all snatched up immediately. They don't know in advance on which day of the week or even at what time new stocks of NES Minis will arrive, so even after Christmas, the NES Mini is still highly sought after and units are still flying off the shelves (and probably landing in the hands of some opportunistic resellers in the process).

Interestingly, the employee I talked to also said there won't be any new stand-alone NES Mini controllers manufactured by Nintendo, so one should get third-party controllers if possible. Same goes for the NES Mini carrying case, Nintendo won't be making any more of those either. That's what I was told, anyhow.

But Nintendo never made the carrying case in the first place, that was always a third-party product. Nintendo can't stop them from being made, the most they can do is pull the license.

But Nintendo never made the carrying case in the first place, that was always a third-party product.

I just checked this more closely and you're right. The packaging looks authentic, but it's still a third-party product.

Nintendo can't stop them from being made, the most they can do is pull the license.

Well, all I can say is that I've never seen such NES Mini carrying cases (official-looking or otherwise) anywhere in my city.

Went to our sketchy Target today and sure enough, nothing at all in the glass case. SKU for the product still there however. Didn't even feel like talking to the scary looking employee pretending to be busy either. Sick of hearing the same old shit out of people that don't know jack. Or worse, like being lied to. ;)

• Like 1

My Daughter wanted to start a YouTube podcast about video Games. We are going to alternate between Retro and Modern games so I talk more in this video but she will take the lead for the next one about minecraft. It's our first one, I have to improve the lighting and sound, I never filmed in the arcade. Be nice it's our first one. We will get better at this for sure as we go forward. Thanks..

PS: Distribution Companies with walls of $150.00 NES Minis and controllers on Ebay? Nintendo has to get better control of distribution..
  • Like 2

Yeah, I often feel like retail clerks, especially in hourly wage jobs like Target, make stuff up so annoying customers like us go away. At GameStop, there seems to be some male answer syndrome going on. I'm pretty sure they get what they get when they get it.

On occasion, it's possible to be in such a position and be able to aggregate various data (distribution numbers, new SKUs, training materials) and figure out something the average person might not know. However, it's very, very hard to know when you've got an expert tea leaf reader or A total bull crap artist.

• Like 1

on that e-commerce site named after a river,

A "bay" is not technically a river. :P

So people are lining up every single morning without any confirmation as to whether a store will have any in stock? That is desperation. I can't even imagine a jobless scalper having the dedication to do that five six or seven days a week, just for a shot at $100 profit before fees... :roll:

• Like 2

I wouldn't put any stock in what the EB clerks say. One told me that the whole Mini was "limited edition from the very beginning". And I'm sure the Walmart employees aren't beyond buying up stock as it's trickled out...I can't blame them: buy it for 90 bux (CDN), sell it for 250 USD.

If that's that for the NES official controllers, I'm kinda bummed. But I guess since the Switch won't use the same jacks as the Wii family did, there's no point to them releasing any more. If that's the case. It's not even Feb, so I'm sure by March we'll have a better idea of what's coming up.

I see on ebay there's the standalone controllers for the PAL systems. I actually really like the box and design for the PAL systems, as it looks a lot more like my original NES boxes. The North American release looks like the post-91 NES box system: gold block lettering. Not bad, but not nearly as nostagia fuzzy as the earlier systems.

I'm tempted to get the PAL controller, they're cheaper on ebay. But I have a hard time paying big bucks for the controller.

For the record, I think that 3rd party case is pretty cool looking...they have the official look to match the system, and I'd like to grab one too.

The biggest pain is seeing the controllers on the walmart website for 12 bucks :( ..out of stock, of course.

Here's my final word on the Mini:

They should have made the thing a 'true' limited release and be done with it. You'd still get the scalpers but at least I wouldn't bother trying to find one :D

• Like 1

My Daughter wanted to start a YouTube podcast about video Games. We are going to alternate between Retro and Modern games so I talk more in this video but she will take the lead for the next one about minecraft. It's our first one, I have to improve the lighting and sound, I never filmed in the arcade. Be nice it's our first one. We will get better at this for sure as we go forward. Thanks..

PS: Distribution Companies with walls of $150.00 NES Minis and controllers on Ebay? Nintendo has to get better control of distribution..

NES Mini isn't a Flashback, completely different company.

Hey btw awesome video man, and cool game cave. I dream of owning a place like that! ;-)

Edited by Kosmic Stardust

A "bay" is not technically a river. :P

So people are lining up every single morning without any confirmation as to whether a store will have any in stock? That is desperation. I can't even imagine a jobless scalper having the dedication to do that five six or seven days a week, just for a shot at $100 profit before fees... :roll:

Believe me they will do it for less profits. I know of two such scalpers in my neck of the woods.

WTF is wrong with you dude. He said its his first video. I would love to facepalm your face personally punk ass.

EDIT: I appologize for hamming on the video. The girl is cute, glad to see kids being raised up on the classics. ;-)

Edited by Kosmic Stardust

Thanks for the video... I am sure they will get better with time. :)

I watched the video mostly to learn what was going on with the Genesis here... it looks just like the Genesis USB Hub with a controller next to it, or is this some Genesis variation that I have missed?

MrBlackCat

Edited by MrBlackCat