IGNORED

Nintendo Classic Mini announced

Yeah I agree with brett there, I don't really think Nintendo gives too much of a crap about it. They love historically to do stupid stuff with their devices to block people from various functions. Different pinouts (FC-NES), cart/slot molding (SNES, N64, etc), asinine region lockout DSI through 3DS(dropped on Switch thankfully), screwball media sizes (mini-dvd on GC), and so on. I doubt they didn't know it could be done, I truly feel they don't give a crap. As long as someone buys the thing for $60 they're happy. I would not be surprised if they didn't have some device on their end that just some line worker doesn't pop a plug into the back of a finished unit and it just dumps the kernel w/30 games on there, and then they bag it, box it and ship it. It's clearly a two way transmission port, no doubt about it and with no security what so ever. if they cared, as anal as they get about sketchy no detailed 'stability updates' on their devices over the last decade they'd have enabled a way to block it.

SNES mini definitely -- it's another $60 in their pocket to peddle a cute micro-original model SNES to people with another 30 games with a 60/40 split of 1st/3rd party awesomeness. Just use the same identical core, tweak the menu for SNES font and coloring, and throw 30 epic titles on there. Take basically the equals of the NES library that got 'Super'd up some ...Super Mario World 1 and 2, Super Castlevania, Mega Man X, F-Zero, Starfox, Super GnG, TMNT4(if they get a license), Goemon, Gradius III, Contra 3, Final Fantasy II, and so on. Instant pay day and like it or not, far more aurally and visually pleasing since modern download games come out around that aspect of quality. ...and why do it? Because people want to know if they can, and then when they can, how far they can push it learning more about the hardware. Same question was made 20 years ago about early emulators for late DOS/Win95/98 era stuff...can I do it? iNES, Pasofami, VGB, and the other pioneers said yes!

• Like 1

Why? Because it's Nintendo. They'd like you to believe one thing and not the other. It's easier and cheaper for them to say it won't work than publish a how to guide. Also if they did put it there, given the steps and the general population being too stupid to actually follow instructions would lead to many bricked systems they'd have to deal with. Imagine all the entitled whining and moaning tying up their phones with people doing returns and warranty repairs. I do agree it would be nice if they did it, even if it was a closed (so called) setup where they sold USB dongles with a Vol2 of more games you pop in, it detects the system, and throws the goods on there. Since it would need to be powered it would have to be some bypass style adapter to go between it and the power supply in back.

Atariboy: Maybe but at the same time I think they'd probably feel some pressure about looking cheap skate even if they do peddle SNES games at a higher price on their virtual console. Perhaps they'd bump the price $10 and level it out that way and try justifying the more parts/buttons in the SNES pad to skate around that.

Even if you don't think Nintendo would want to protect the value of their content to justify continued higher prices for SuperNes downloads (Such as why they've held back on releasing Super Mario All-Stars as an $8 VC download on every Virtual Console platform to date), I'd still bet on 20 SNES games for such a product just based off their Virtual Console lineups.

That's around 30-40% of what they've released on the Wii and Wii U Virtual Consoles for that platform, which is line with the NES Classic featuring 32% of what's available for the NES today on the Wii U's Virtual Console. That leaves lots of solid titles like Castlevania III for a NES example, that customers could still be interested in paying to download off the Switch Virtual Console.

But if we're talking 30 Super Nintendo games, suddenly we're looking at well past half of what's likely to ever appear on the Switch Virtual Console.

Hopefully we'll see in time, rather than having Nintendo let this opportunity disappear without taking advantage of what's a natural follow-up to their successful NES Mini.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

It looks like it is just a re-boxed pi.

Not exactly a pi, but a similar ARM-based system on a chip.

I wonder how they work the controls for Genesis games? SEGA games lack a SELECT button but have an extra action button. It would be silly if the hackers mapped NES SELECT to Genesis A or something similar, but that's what they'd need to do unless you could use different controllers ...or restricted yourself to one-button games like Sonic the Hedgehog.

I wonder how they work the controls for Genesis games? SEGA games lack a SELECT button but have an extra action button. It would be silly if the hackers mapped NES SELECT to Genesis A or something similar, but that's what they'd need to do unless you could use different controllers ...or restricted yourself to one-button games like Sonic the Hedgehog.

I have a wiimote to psx adapter works great on wii but not sure about classic since I don't have a classic yet. But Playstation has 4 buttons. So that would work.

Sega uses YBA on the Classic controller?

Rumors are that production is ending. Going to be some untapped demand for sure if they'll be shipping the final units in a few weeks.

Hopefully they'll rerelease it for Christmas if this comes to pass. Alas I don't see them doing a Super Nintendo Classic Edition this Christmas as they focus on the Nintendo Switch and its first holiday season, but I don't see getting ample supply of the NES Classic out there as much of a distraction to Nintendo's efforts to hit a home run with the Switch.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1