IGNORED

Nintendo Classic Mini announced

I blame the consumers. If everyone wasn't all hyped up about them to an extent almost like the original release of the NES but instead acted like they thought they were garbage then the scalpers wouldn't get the signals that there is a high demand, the retailers would think it was a flop, and then all of you would easily find them in the clearance section. I have done my part by thinking it is useless garbage. What have the rest of you done? Asked around, called up stores, waited in lines, slept in parking lots in Mario sleeping bags, etc. icon_razz.gif

• Like 2

I blame the consumers. If everyone wasn't all hyped up about them to an extent almost like the original release of the NES but instead acted like they thought they were garbage then the scalpers wouldn't get the signals that there is a high demand, the retailers would think it was a flop, and then all of you would easily find them in the clearance section. I have done my part by thinking it is useless garbage. What have the rest of you done? Asked around, called up stores, waited in lines, slept in parking lots in Mario sleeping bags, etc. icon_razz.gif

Nobody is arguing that the NES Mini is "garbage". I think it is a brilliant device, thought marketing and manufacturing needs to be better.

The scalping situation is a three-pronged problem.

#1 - Nintendo would rather leave money on the table than ship enough to satiate demand.

#2 - Scalpers using any means necessary to buy all existing consoles and ensure consumers do not have an opportunity to buy the item, so they can play middleman.

#3 - Fans who have to have it now for inflated cost, rather than patiently wait until it's available.

Someone argued that the Classic Mini was shorted production because of German manufacturing of the controllers. I believe this not to be the case. As I went to my local Gamestop the other day to preorder some Switch accessories, I noticed NES Mini controllers on the pegboard behind the counter. They had the seal on them so I knew they were official too. No actual Minis as far as I'm aware though.

Someone argued that the Classic Mini was shorted production because of German manufacturing of the controllers. I believe this not to be the case. As I went to my local Gamestop the other day to preorder some Switch accessories, I noticed NES Mini controllers on the pegboard behind the counter. They had the seal on them so I knew they were official too. No actual Minis as far as I'm aware though.

Gamestop!

It's so funny I never think of them when I think of videogames!

I'm not even trying to be funny...Once you stop following modern consoles, they become a nonentity.

Maybe when I'm ready for an additional Mini controller or extension cables I'll drop by...Probably before getting one on eBay (sold by Best Buy) ...Or seeing who's cheap on Amazon.

• Like 1

Nobody is arguing that the NES Mini is "garbage". I think it is a brilliant device, thought marketing and manufacturing needs to be better.

The scalping situation is a three-pronged problem.

#1 - Nintendo would rather leave money on the table than ship enough to satiate demand.

#2 - Scalpers using any means necessary to buy all existing consoles and ensure consumers do not have an opportunity to buy the item, so they can play middleman.

#3 - Fans who have to have it now for inflated cost, rather than patiently wait until it's available.

...and #4 those get refuse to overpay get nothing but screwed. icon_smile.gif

It's not a cheap piece of junk. The only flaw is the dumb controller cord but there are cheap or (depending what you have) free ways around it.

I was only joking and half way serious but still I think it is a factor similar to #3 because showing scalers there is a demand is what makes them scalp them.

Anyway, I think there are some flaws. For an example, them using a Wii U connector and marketing the controller that comes with it and/or buying an extra one for use with the Wii U's Virtual Console at a time when they are discontinuing the Wii U to focus on the Switch. It would have made more sense to make those controllers years ago instead of at the very end or make NES controllers that work on the Switch.

Yeah I get what you're saying, but the #4's I made wont bend or break and just will wait or just not buy it at all. I'm in that group. Screw the jerks, it's not like it's food, water, clothing or shelter.

I dont think the WiiU connector was dumb it's a free plug they already developed, and anyone can use existing controllers as a choice instead of being stuck with a stock pad. Imagine the bitching if it was a stock jack as all the scalpers would have the prices even higher on the NES controllers they pick up. I know the Switch lacks the plug, but I think it's got a probable chance if Nintendo doesn't address it, someone else makes an adapter for it.

• Like 2

Gamestop!

It's so funny I never think of them when I think of videogames!

I'm not even trying to be funny...Once you stop following modern consoles, they become a nonentity.

Wasn't Gamestop going to dip back in older consoles again? Supposedly they were even offering relatively good prices for systems they'd stopped carrying, like $25 for PS2's.

I've yet to see any Gamestop actually make good on that promise, and that was one or two years ago.

Wasn't Gamestop going to dip back in older consoles again? Supposedly they were even offering relatively good prices for systems they'd stopped carrying, like $25 for PS2's.

I've yet to see any Gamestop actually make good on that promise, and that was one or two years ago.

That sounds like them.

Unfortunately these days I view them as corporate as anything...I hate to say it, but I don't think they care much about games, they are only there to turn a profit.

Back in the Playstation 1 and 2 days, stores like Gamestop or E.B. before that, or the toy stores next to them didn't seem to be that way. Or maybe I was just blinded by the fact they carried a lot of good games I really wanted. But in those days it seemed to me that I'd check out their games and they'd sell me what I wanted, not whatever product they were pushing that day. And they seemed to hire employees who liked games and could even tell you a little about them if you needed that...

It was only a bit earlier that I realized big "corporate" stores existed. I'd been in Denver at a big game shop and this store actually had a lot of older stuff, too. I'm thinking it was the year 2000 and this store had everything from NES to Playstation 1 games...Maybe even had a handful of Atari games. But when I went in that day every screen in the place was showing Need For Speed Porsche Unleashed for Playstation.

I walked in and before I had a chance to really look around, they said "Can I help you?". "Sure." I said, and began to ask for some games I wanted..."Do you guys have Skullmonkeys, or Pandemonium 2, or a copy of Namco Museum Volume 3 in the original packaging?"

I swear they looked at me like I was an alien from another world and simply said "Don't you want a copy of Need For Speed Porsche Unleashed?"

"No That's OK" I said. At this point they nearly stuttered like a robot in a movie, "But, but,.. but...Porsche!....This just came out Today!" ..."Thanks"...and I walked around the store without any help from them...

It reminded me of Blockbuster video from some years back, when they looked at you weird if you asked for an older movie, or asked if they had any Golden Age sci-fi movies in black and white....You were generally met with a blank stare from an employee who slowly pointed toward the "New Releases" as if to say nothing older than two weeks is worth your time.

Now I'm not saying Gamestop is quite that bad, but that is how they strike me. I'd be willing to bet older games were never on their radar until the day the Nintendo Mini came out. Now they're like sharks smelling blood, or guys in suits smelling money. So who knows? They might jump on the retro bandwagon...

• Like 3

Gamestop did jump back into the old games and game console racket, on their website. It's not too badly priced, sometimes they're a little low or not, but they often run those buy 2 get 1 free used sales and the 'retro' games are included. Problem is they refuse to tell you if they're complete, what condition a cart or disc is in, it's a luck grab but you're allowed to return stuff. You can usually apply other discounts like CAG16 (cheap ass gamer website discount) too.

• Like 2

Yeah I get what you're saying, but the #4's I made wont bend or break and just will wait or just not buy it at all. I'm in that group. Screw the jerks, it's not like it's food, water, clothing or shelter.

I dont think the WiiU connector was dumb it's a free plug they already developed, and anyone can use existing controllers as a choice instead of being stuck with a stock pad. Imagine the bitching if it was a stock jack as all the scalpers would have the prices even higher on the NES controllers they pick up. I know the Switch lacks the plug, but I think it's got a probable chance if Nintendo doesn't address it, someone else makes an adapter for it.

Technically my list of three issues was the three pronged problem. Nintendo, Scalper, and impatient buyers all play a role in the shortage. #4 category, the potential customers who refuse to pay over retail or camp out just have to rough it. I am in this boat after giving my one and only copy away as a Christmas gift to my uncle. It sucks being on the wait it out or forget it boat, but the #4 customers aren't really contributing to the stock shortage or resale prices in any meaningful way. We are more a side effect of the problem but not actually contributing to it since we are only future buyers, not current buyers.

• Like 1

They also already developed an actual NES plug and anyone could use existing controllers or clones of them.

Maybe the Switch will get a Wii plug to USB for the dock and something with a Wii plug for handheld mode that could slide onto where the Joy-Cons go or something. Anyway, my point is that it seems odd to market the controllers of having the extra benefit of being a controller for a console that was at its end of life. In other words, instead of releasing it at the end of the Wii U's life it would have made more sense to release it during the Wii's life. End of life seems like a weird time to release a new controller.

Something silly occurred to me last night. The official "HDMI" logo uses almost exactly the same font Nintendo used for "NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM". Only the D is really any different, and that's only a slight change. No wonder Nintendo was gung-ho about going the HDMI route!

Something silly occurred to me last night. The official "HDMI" logo uses almost exactly the same font Nintendo used for "NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM". Only the D is really any different, and that's only a slight change. No wonder Nintendo was gung-ho about going the HDMI route!

post-2410-0-48650200-1488384117_thumb.png

Someone is a fan of the Gunship font.

• Like 2