IGNORED

Nintendo Classic Mini announced

I wonder if there will be a flyer inside the box advertising the NX, kind of like how the original NES had flyers trying to get you to subscribe to Nintendo Power?

I don't know. It would be wise for Nintendo to use as an alternative means to advertise the Virtual Console service, which I'm sure will make an appearance on the NX.

• Like 1

Sony, Sega.. they all did it. As a publisher, you had to pay a fee for each game sold. If you were against that, you weren't allowed to publish a game on that platform without potential legal ramifications. It's something that's been happening in this industry for a very, very long time, and it still happens to this day. So, congrats on using your head once again on this fine forum. :roll:

The pleasure's all mine.

Edited by high voltage
  • Like 1

Maybe I'm the only one who is not excited over this. All it is, is a limited rom emulator. If it played original nes games that would be something different. Just a new means of selling a limited number of roms. I suppose if they made the entire nes library available that would be different. A legal way to purchase and play all the rare/expensive games would be cool.

I'm pretty hyped for it considering the fact that it's a fantastic way to get my two boys into classic Nintendo games and a way to bond with them in a, "Look! This is what I played when I was growing up!" way without risking damage or wear to my increasingly aging original hardware and carts. Plus it's small enough that I can leave it hooked up without people tripping all over the wires or knocking over a huge stack of carts like back in the day. Now the quality of emulation is yet to be seen however.

• Like 3

Can't ever imagine the big N playing fast and loose with ROMZ on an SD card like that.

Nope. The second you introduce a way to put in a new rom, even via an NFC card, you're going to have someone making the equivalent of a flashcard for the thing. And that undermines all of Nintendo's efforts.

I realize that tiny Pi NES looks cute and all that, but what is the internet's fascination with shells and carts and shit that mean nothing? A Pi hooked up to your TV alone literally does the same thing, but make some stupid little box and NFC carts and people salivate? Like there's always some goof saying they'd buy that 3D printed Pi NES when all they have to do is load up a Pi yourself.

You're stealing games and putting them in a shell. Nintendo is using a shell as a means to get you to buy 30 of their games.

• Like 3

I wonder if there will be a flyer inside the box advertising the NX, kind of like how the original NES had flyers trying to get you to subscribe to Nintendo Power?

I got a flyer in my McDonalds bag (and coupons!) advertising their new totally fresh and preservative-free McNuggets.

Well I want my classic games WITH preservatives and all the added stuff. No stripper consoles for me.

• Like 1

Nope. The second you introduce a way to put in a new rom, even via an NFC card, you're going to have someone making the equivalent of a flashcard for the thing. And that undermines all of Nintendo's efforts.

Yes but wii can be hacked with homebrew channel and an nes emulator or an sd card. So its the same thing.

I realize that tiny Pi NES looks cute and all that, but what is the internet's fascination with shells and carts and shit that mean nothing?

Well it's certainly an internet thing. I do find myself constantly imagining innovative ways to package an R-Pi and all that. But never really do anything about it..

Well it's certainly an internet thing. I do find myself constantly imagining innovative ways to package an R-Pi and all that. But never really do anything about it..

I really don't care if the Pi has a package at all if it can still work and be hidden away.

I guess I'm just bitchy at the small group of people who for some reason think Nintendo should release a hackable system for no reason whatsoever. It would be different if this price point wasn't perfect at $2 per game, plus your physical product for collectors AND the NES controller will work with the Wii/U. For once Nintendo did everything right and people still bitch and it just brings down spirits a bit. It's likely the same people who bitch about everything, though, so I shouldn't be surprised. I'm sure half the people bitching about the NES mini not being hackable are the types who bitch their coffee is too hot or their soda is too cold.

I wouldn't even mind the complaints if things like PC emulation, flash carts, Android emulation, etc didn't exist and wasn't easy to do. Fact is there's a great chance you can run your NES roms in HD with an existing system of some sorts you already own, or you could add another $50 and get a flash cart. The fact that a very small group of people want to take the time to mod the mini when they could just download an emulator and a romset and be doing the same thing in 5 minutes without having to pay for the unit or the extra time tells me, as Hank Hill would say...

49713966.jpg

• Like 4

I really don't care if the Pi has a package at all if it can still work and be hidden away.

I guess I'm just bitchy at the small group of people who for some reason think Nintendo should release a hackable system for no reason whatsoever. It would be different if this price point wasn't perfect at $2 per game, plus your physical product for collectors AND the NES controller will work with the Wii/U. For once Nintendo did everything right and people still bitch and it just brings down spirits a bit. It's likely the same people who bitch about everything, though, so I shouldn't be surprised. I'm sure half the people bitching about the NES mini not being hackable are the types who bitch their coffee is too hot or their soda is too cold.

I wouldn't even mind the complaints if things like PC emulation, flash carts, Android emulation, etc didn't exist and wasn't easy to do. Fact is there's a great chance you can run your NES roms in HD with an existing system of some sorts you already own, or you could add another $50 and get a flash cart. The fact that a very small group of people want to take the time to mod the mini when they could just download an emulator and a romset and be doing the same thing in 5 minutes without having to pay for the unit or the extra time tells me, as Hank Hill would say...

49713966.jpg

This. ^^

I mean, if the Mini isn't for you, I absolutely get that. But for what it is, it's absolutely fabulous. Not everyone wants to pay an extra $10 so they can play Chubby Cherub or Sunday Funday. The Mini isn't about re-creating the NES as a viable platform, it's about re-releasing some of the best of the best games in an incredibly cheap and convenient format.

Gonna repeat that, for those of you in the cheap seats: in an incredibly cheap and convenient format.

No one has ever said that the Mini was the only way to play NES games, or even the best way, but every effort I've seen to suggest how it could be done "better" or "smarter" has been either not as cheap or not as convenient.

Would I want this for my only NES? No freakin' way!! But if I were taking an extended trip and wanted to grab something to keep me busy, it'd be a great choice.

• Like 10

I mean, if the Mini isn't for you, I absolutely get that. But for what it is, it's absolutely fabulous. Not everyone wants to pay an extra $10 so they can play Chubby Cherub or Sunday Funday. The Mini isn't about re-creating the NES as a viable platform, it's about re-releasing some of the best of the best games in an incredibly cheap and convenient format.

Gonna repeat that, for those of you in the cheap seats: in an incredibly cheap and convenient format.

Exactly- I think it's be nice if it had some sort of way to get more games... but I wouldn't buy it for myself either way, I want original gear.

For someone like my sister, who gets hit with random bouts of nostalgia & just needs a quick fix, then she's good for several years? This is perfect. It's (relatively) cheap, it's tiny, it'll be easy to pull out, use for a couple months, then put away when she's done. If it ends up being easy to get ahold of around release time, it'd be a good Christmas present. Not gonna stress over it, though.

• Like 1

You can't afford me, but the guy who posted above you is going for nought.

Now stop de-railing the thread.

I was poking fun at another guy for typing "get get" instead of "can get" and you think that has something to do with you? He never replied and no one else commented on my fun-poking post, so the only one derailing the thread is you by bringing it up. If you want to be a moderator, just ask Albert. Until he hands you an official AtariAge mop and bucket, you might want to take your own advice.

• Like 3

They haven't had any issues with getting the NES audio correct in the past, so it should be fine.

All three Virtual Console platforms seem to have correct audio, the NES games on the GameCube in Animal Crossing and the Zelda Collector's Edition release sound right, the NES Classics line on the GBA seems okay in what I've played, etc. I don't know if it's emulation, but even the version of the original Excitebike on Excitebike 64 had no audio irregularities that I could pick up on.

This isn't using a generic 3rd party sourced NOAC. The issues with those devices aren't pertinent to this one, since it has been confirmed to be emulation based. Much more applicable is their work across their range of Virtual Console platforms and those haven't had any issues with getting this component correct.

Filtering the heck out of the picture and incorrect brightness/color accuracy on the other hand have been problematic with their NES emulation on the Wii/3DS/Wii U...

Hopefully M2 has been tasked with all of this, which if correct should ease anyone's concern if they're halfway familiar with that developer.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

I just had a big "duh" moment.. I just realized I wouldn't even be able to play this on my office desk sdtv (which is where I was planning on playing it)... since this thing is hdmi only! doh! :lol:

xbox.jpg

Wondering if this would work :ponder:

https://www.radioshack.com/collections/audio-video-streaming/products/radioshack-hdmi-to-composite-converter?variant=7187960453

Add flexibility to your viewing environment by converting a digital HDMI video source to an analog composite video television or display. This converter requires no power source and features HDMI input and RCA output for audio and video transfer.