IGNORED

Nintendo Classic Mini announced

For the Wii Classic Controller on the NES Classic, does the Analog Stick work or just the Dpad? I suspect the Hori did not work since the stick perhaps emulates the Classic Controller Analog Stick and not the Dpad for the NES Classic? My Capcom Tatsunoko Arcade Stick has a slide switch to select between either Analog Stick or Dpad emulation so it should work on the NES Classic in Dpad mode.

I used that slide switch capability to mod my Capcom Tatsunoko Stick for "Duel Stick" for Geometry Wars. :idea:

TVC571800NA1-3.jpg

I tried it one more time...Just to triple check, in case something weird was going on...Something beyond the illegal drugs and beery goodness (Or as I call it...Tuesday night at the Sunnyside Baptist Church)...But I got the same result!

The Classic Gamepads work...Both D-PADS and Analog Sticks work on both menus and games.

And the HORI Fighting Stick (which I believe is an officially licensed product) does Not. It does Fully work on the menus...And the Home, Select, and Start buttons work, But as soon as you start a game, your guy goes left and nothing else from the joystick registers...The buttons still work though, just not the joystick.

I'm guessing Nintendo changed something in the pinout (maybe just a slight voltage difference?)...

Myself, I feel real sorry for that Emio company right about now. They could have made a licensing deal with Nintendo (Like HORI or Ascii would have) and then their joysticks and pads would probably have been guaranteed to work, but the cost would have shot up by about $5-$10. And it looks like they really built a good one with their Edge Stick. I really want one if they can iron out the kinks and make it work with the Classic. I could imagine a refund/recall scenario, whereby with a new sticker on the box, Emios become Wii controllers, but a more novel approach, if it's feasible, would be to come up with some kind of adaptor that makes them compatible. And (Like I say, IF it's possible) then they could ship out boxes of adaptors to the stores (or even to individuals) and they could drop adaptors into each box of New Old Stock, while they create a compatible version for future sales. Honestly, I wish them the best!

• Like 3

phoenixdownita, on 12 Nov 2016 - 6:17 PM, said:

Given the Jap version (Famicom Mini) has a couple of differences should one try to get them both?

http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/29/13115794/nintendo-famicom-mini-nes-japan

Yakumo is unboxing it:

Better get both Phoenix!

I want a Famicom version myself, too...But I've got some other things to collect first...I Do hope I can eventually get one without spending a fortune ;-)

Better get both Phoenix!

I want a Famicom version myself, too...But I've got some other things to collect first...I Do hope I can eventually get one without spending a fortune ;-)

I've got none so far, interesting point is that the Mini emulates the FDS as well, I wonder if the extra sound channel is good or bad ;-)

AND, no controller ports .... maybe internally is the same but outside there are no connectors so if a controller breaks .... you've got to open the thing and "solder" (maybe it's a connector, dunno) a replacement!

• Like 1

Why suddenly, people start to buy a plug n' play system?

Because this one is made by Nintendo?

I would like to see a flashback system sold out.

#1: Nintendo >>> Atari

#2: Better game selection (even though the Flashback 7 and Retrobit Generations have tons more games)

#3: AtGames = junk; Nintendo = quality

#4: HDMI >>> Composite

• Like 1

No -- read the other threads, or the Amazon reviews that definitively say that this does NOT work with the NES Classic Mini.

I finally whipped my Edge out tonight and played Donkey Kong on Wii-U VC. No save states, and I think I just had what I believe was my best game ever at 62,000 points! :grin:

This thing is super nice and can be made even better by swapping out the arcade parts. Not sure yet if I'll keep it stock or simply convert it to run on a real NES. I do have the technical skill to clone the original Advantage schematic.

Firmware updates are obviously impossible on either the Mini console or the Edge joystick, and once the Switch comes out and I migrate my VC collection (again) this will have less and less utility since I doubt the NX supports Wiimotes.

• Like 2

Myself, I feel real sorry for that Emio company right about now. They could have made a licensing deal with Nintendo (Like HORI or Ascii would have) and then their joysticks and pads would probably have been guaranteed to work, but the cost would have shot up by about $5-$10. And it looks like they really built a good one with their Edge Stick. I really want one if they can iron out the kinks and make it work with the Classic. I could imagine a refund/recall scenario, whereby with a new sticker on the box, Emios become Wii controllers, but a more novel approach, if it's feasible, would be to come up with some kind of adaptor that makes them compatible. And (Like I say, IF it's possible) then they could ship out boxes of adaptors to the stores (or even to individuals) and they could drop adaptors into each box of New Old Stock, while they create a compatible version for future sales. Honestly, I wish them the best!

Well to their defense they've made a solid product, and until now, nobody has ever created a Classic Controller that interfaces with anything besides a Wiimote. Something in the way the NES Mini handshakes with the Classic Controller is different enough to break cloned controllers but not licensed or first party ones. I don't believe Nintendo set out to sabotage Emio but simply did not test the Mini with third party controllers. I do hope they can recover their reputation at this point but it seems doubtful.

• Like 1

#1: Nintendo >>> Atari

#2: Better game selection (even though the Flashback 7 and Retrobit Generations have tons more games)

#3: AtGames = junk; Nintendo = quality

#4: HDMI >>> Composite

Does it mean everybody throw their old tv sets away?

The last time Nintendo released something everybody bought it was the Wii.

A Wii was at $2000 at Ebay when it was released.

Anyway, if the Switch fails, NIntendo should rerelease the NES, not just a plug n' play system.

I'm surprised you had such a pleasant experience using an arcade stick with Donkey Kong.

Without a 4 way gate, I can't get anywhere in the game with arcade sticks.

I'll admit it's not perfect. I did stick on the ladders momentarily in some cases but luckily it did not cause a death. Also stiff switches help somewhat to avoid hitting diagonals.

I wanted to put a circle or octagon gate in there (not a big fan of squares) but the restrictor gate on the JLF cloned joystick is nearly impossible to remove. I may have to Dremel the tabs a bit to get the restrictor plate off, or drop in a real Sanwa. If I use the dremel, I run the risk of destroying the cloned stick and the Sanwas are like $21 plus Paradise Arcade charges like $14 to ship a single joystick. And if I buy one on eBay, I'm liable to get another clone stick.

I'll admit it's not perfect. I did stick on the ladders momentarily in some cases but luckily it did not cause a death. Also stiff switches help somewhat to avoid hitting diagonals.

I wanted to put a circle or octagon gate in there (not a big fan of squares) but the restrictor gate on the JLF cloned joystick is nearly impossible to remove. I may have to Dremel the tabs a bit to get the restrictor plate off, or drop in a real Sanwa. If I use the dremel, I run the risk of destroying the cloned stick and the Sanwas are like $21 plus Paradise Arcade charges like $14 to ship a single joystick. And if I buy one on eBay, I'm liable to get another clone stick.

I wonder if Sanwa joysticks have the same mounting dimensions as an original Nintendo arcade joystick. They are both Japanese joysticks, so I wouldn't be surprised if they did. A 4-way Nintendo arcade joystick like came in Donkey Kong machines would be as authentic as you can get for playing Donkey Kong. Actual Donkey Kong joysticks tend to be pricey, but the ones they used on other machines were fundamentally the same thing (slightly smaller balltop), and those used to be cheap; especially ones from a VS. or PC-10 machine. I don't know if they still are cheap though. Those came with an 8-way restrictor plate, but are compatible with a 4-way restrictor. The reproduction Nintendo restrictors are nicer than the originals too; they are CNC machined instead of stamped, and they are smooth as greased glass.

Here's the mounting dimensions for a Nintendo joystick:

NFYIN6d.png

Nintendo joysticks are practically indestructable; they are all steel. Most of the well-used ones need nothing more than a good cleaning in the pivot ball socket. Soak one in e.g. gasoline overnight and it makes things easy.