IGNORED

Nintendo Classic Mini announced

In the mean time here is a 9news video about the unit.

http://www.9news.com/tech/theres-still-a-chance-to-snag-an-nes-classic-edition/353080459

Holy cow dude! They did an entire 30-minute segment. Now that's dedication. I wonder when the supervisor will pop in and say, "Get back to work! We've got real news to report..." :lol:

I never would have guessed this would happen in a million years...

What gave it away? Bitd NES games, Wii consoles, Amiibo, NES Classic Mini... :roll:

• Like 1

The AllWinner R16 is a quad core ARM A7, like the RPi 2 .... aside the different GPU it's in the same class of powa:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allwinner_Technology#R-Series

(bitchy thing about the Mali/PowerVR GPUs is that there's binary support only, no open-source support as of yet, vs the RPi Z/1/2/3 GPU aka VideoCore IV that's been slowly open-sourced ...... not that it matters I guess).

The question stays though ... aside the nice box and controllers (and theirs maybe future std connector for this kind of things) ..... why bother when you can have all that today on an RPi 2/3 with RetroPie (or other setup)?

Is the box really that worthy? If so someone should start making lots of RPi cases to replicate old systems just for RetroPie sake.

I understand that the SW layer (presentation/selection) is likely much more polished in the NES mini maybe that justifies the added value .... maybe!

• Like 1

The AllWinner R16 is a quad core ARM A7, like the RPi 2 .... aside the different GPU it's in the same class of powa:

(bitchy thing about the Mali/PowerVR GPUs is that there's binary support only, no open-source support as of yet, vs the RPi Z/1/2/3 GPU aka VideoCore IV that's been slowly open-sourced ...... not that it matters I guess).

The question stays though ... aside the nice box and controllers (and theirs maybe future std connector for this kind of things) ..... why bother when you can have all that today on an RPi 2/3 with RetroPie (or other setup)?

Is the box really that worthy? If so someone should start making lots of RPi cases to replicate old systems just for RetroPie sake.

I understand that the SW layer (presentation/selection) is likely much more polished in the NES mini maybe that justifies the added value .... maybe!

Or maybe somebody can make an emulator that looks like the mini. I mean menu wise and all. And let you add 30 of your won roms.

As for why not just get a PI. Well the case has nothing to do with it. This is official (licenced and endorsed) by Nintendo. Raspberry is not official. I know nobody ever got into trouble. But why take a chance.

• Like 1