IGNORED

No excuses, build a FlashROM 99

hloberg

Just build a FlashROM 99 and it was easy and cheap. The board with chips from RaplhB was less than $50. (Ralph is a genius!) the only scary part is three of the chips have to be surface mounted but if you are careful that can be done. This was my first attempt at surface mount and I got it right so anyone can. I did get one of the surface mount chips backward and destroyed it trying to remove it but was able to go down to a local computer store and get a replacement for $ 0.66.

What you can do with this thing is amazing. The nanoPEB/CF7 (or PEB), F18a and now the FlashROM 99 is the new minimum for the TI-99.

Here is by build blog:
https://fieldmouseprojects.wordpress.com/2016/07/18/building-a-ti-994a-flashrom-99/

• Like 4

What you can do with this thing is amazing. The nanoPEB/CF7 (or PEB), F18a and now the FlashROM 99 is the new minimum for the TI-99.

Here is by build blog:

https://fieldmouseprojects.wordpress.com/2016/07/18/building-a-ti-994a-flashrom-99/

I agree 100% it's freaking great! I'm beginning to think that some people, especially gamer's, will never need a Nano-PEB/CF7. With the FR99's drag & drop capability, and all the new images flooding the community, it really is the way to go, especially for a newbie.

I would add one extra item though, JediMatt's 32K will round this out perfectly.

Just to clarify, for future readers, this board is all thru-hole, not surface mounted.

Some of the thru-hole chips need to be soldered directly to the pcboard without a socket to ensure it will fit inside the console when plugged in.

I figured he just meant 'surface mount' to mean that they were not socketed, but directly on the surface of the PCB.

... I figured he just meant 'surface mount' to mean that they were not socketed, but directly on the surface of the PCB.

Terminology is important. In this particular case, a newbie might be scared off of the DIY project, if s/he thought it involved surface mounting of chips, when, in point of fact, it does not.

...lee

• Like 4

Terminology is important. In this particular case, a newbie might be scared off of the DIY project, if s/he thought it involved surface mounting of chips, when, in point of fact, it does not.

...lee

thank you, will make terminology change on the blog. Being not much more then a newbie myself I got the terminology wrong.

update, all fixed and added a good youtube video on the basics of IC chip soldering.

Edited by hloberg
  • Like 3

Hello Friends ! :)

I'm writing because our friend David Caine contacted me that he has 4 Romox Cartridge cases already modified for use with an FR99 (printed label included)

he selling for €30 including an FR99 printed label for Romox shell similar to this example:

post-24673-0-27592200-1469728695_thumb.jpg

for who want one or need more infos can contact David Caine by mail cainehd@gmail.com

No FR99 card is included in the price. ;)

Edited by ti99iuc