IGNORED

The 7800GD (New 7800 Flash Cartridge?)

SainT

Do you really want one?  

166 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in buying a 7800 SD cart (expected price around £60-£70)?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Hopefully we'll have the HOKEY at some point and it has a reasonable price. I havn't seen any cost info on it yet.

I hope so too. I hate the idea of people sacrificing working POKEY's from Ballblazer carts and such for more games, when they're needed to keep A8 machines working. HOKEY will be a great solution for 7800 carts, but the computers (and I guess the XM) need the real deal for the SIO, potentiometer and keyboard support functions.

I can only see competition as a good thing. It would be nice to have a choice of SD carts. Did anyone gripe when Mateos stuff came out? Right now we have nothing so the chance of at least one cartridge making it out the gate would be a godsend.

I have supported Fred by buying his Harmony Encore but I find his lack of at least a small update here (how long does it take to write a small update post?) regarding H2 process is frustrating. Seems like everyone here is speaking on his behalf and giving reasons why we have not heard from him.

Lets face it, we would all like to hear directly from him. How about it Fred? (not sure he even reads this)

SainT you have communicated more about the projected project then we have heard from Fred.

If you can get a reasonable working SD flash cart out, Ill buy it.

Go for it SainT!!

• Like 2

SainT - Im all in on your Jag SD cart and cant wait! Im prettysure most others here are waiting on Fred to fix the last few bugs on his 7800 SD cart to purchase. You def have some great ideas and have delivered in a few other areas like Fred, but it might be best to hold off any future plans until Fred backs out.

Just my $0.02 which is prob worth $0.02 pesos

• Like 1

It'll be a little while before I get as far as putting pen to paper (so to speak) on the 7800 cart. But saying that, I now have a 7800, and a pretty good understanding of the 2600 and 7800 mappers which need to be implemented. So I'm getting a bit obsessed now, which is always a good thing. :)

If there's no movement on Fred's cart before I get time to make a start on this, make I start I shall. :)

Edited by SainT
  • Like 9

I was thinking about the thread about buying the ROM's for homebrews and these two carts competing. I think Fred could get a competitive advantage if something like this was worked out. Sell a deluxe version that includes on the SD card all the 7800 ROM's in the store(the ones the devs agree to anyway), each dev gets their cut from each sale, have it sold in the AtariAge store, rename it and have strong AtariAge branding to it something like"The AtariAge 7800 Harmony Cart: Devs Gotta Eat Edition" with the blue AtariAge look and logo(maybe a label contest to look for the best look with that criteria), and a purchase includes a subscription to AtariAge. Then sell the cheaper standard edition without the extras. That would make it feel like the "official" 7800 flashcart and would help to support devs. There could even be a deluxe version like that made for the original Harmony Cart.

• Like 3

I understand CPU's frustration, but the way I look at is, and this is no fault of his.....but many times homebrew gets announced for classic consoles, and people get really excited. That excitement builds and builds to a point, and then it pops and sort of dies out. When the project becomes released, the excitement comes back. Point is that often people lose interest very easily. If the project takes too long, they get frustrated, and vent against it. In addition, on the dev side, again I think people overhype things, and when they realize there's hard work and a lot of time and money to be spent, they can't go forward.

Opcode SGM is only now seeming to be on a firm leg, and moving forward, years after it was initially released and followed by turmoil. 7800XM seems forever doomed, to a point where even if it does get released, all enthusiasm is gone. It's tough to sell anything on a 30 year old system, there's just a very small niche for that. PMP 7800 stuff sold because he created it quickly, and the games were simple to play and make for him. They were proven titles, too, which helped.

I would love for Fred's cart to be released, and it may well before SainT has the time to get out of the gate.

• Like 1

I don't see why there can't be two devices available performing the same function. id love to get an H2, and if it were available now I'd have already bought one. But if Saint is able to put one together, I'd buy that too. I have a Everdrive MD, which also plays almost all SMS games, but I still bought a Master Everdrive. I also have the ability to play all those games on PC emulators. and on my CFW Sony PS3. And my android tablet. And my Surface for work. And my iPhone. And my PSP-1000. And my Free McBoot PS2. And from original carts on original hardware that I also have.

Edited by 78001987
  • Like 1

I understand CPU's frustration

I just offered my opinion on batari's cart. I made my decision for now, NO MORE. Not fun when only 6 people use something you spent months on. It has very little to do with Fred's work. More to do with weirdos, like the hairdryer dude. I still have several tubes of EPROM's, which cost about $4.00 each, sitting around, with the anniversary #2 cart data, nevermind the printed sheets of labels that are done for it (some people were lucky to get one of these, mostly free). Just done for now.

Just don't want Fred to get discouraged.

• Like 3

I just offered my opinion on batari's cart. I made my decision for now, NO MORE. Not fun when only 6 people use something you spent months on. It has very little to do with Fred's work. More to do with weirdos, like the hairdryer dude. I still have several tubes of EPROM's, which cost about $4.00 each, sitting around, with the anniversary #2 cart data, nevermind the printed sheets of labels that are done for it (some people were lucky to get one of these, mostly free). Just done for now.

Just don't want Fred to get discouraged.

Did you stop putting these out because lack of interest from buyers?

I was under the impression that the multicart(s) that you had made (the anniversay carts) you only made a limited run of them because that was all you had time for, and you weren't making them anymore?

also - for the devcart - it's a great tool for devs, obviously - but there aren't that many 7800 devs, are there? Also - wasn't it restricted from running commercial roms? that might have hampered interest in it a bit.

Did you stop putting these out because lack of interest from buyers?

I was under the impression that the multicart(s) that you had made (the anniversay carts) you only made a limited run of them because that was all you had time for, and you weren't making them anymore?

The problem started here.

also - for the devcart - it's a great tool for devs, obviously - but there aren't that many 7800 devs, are there? Also - wasn't it restricted from running commercial roms? that might have hampered interest in it a bit.

Do you mean like these commercial ROMs?

:ponder:

I still have several tubes of EPROM's, which cost about $4.00 each, sitting around, with the anniversary #2 cart data, nevermind the printed sheets of labels that are done for it (some people were lucky to get one of these, mostly free).

These would sell in minutes if you offered them. Carts that is. :)

• Like 2

Bingo, if you are talking about #2 Anniversary cart. But maybe someone else will release the ones that already have all the materials produced, I won't even make them, just give the crap to someone else to produce. :)

If you're not going to do it, it would be nice to pass the baton. Just saying. Also that stock you've got sitting around isn't doing you any good right now. If you're sure you're not going to use it, send it to someone who will, even if it's at a small loss for what you paid.

Bingo, if you are talking about #2 Anniversary cart. But maybe someone else will release the ones that already have all the materials produced, I won't even make them, just give the crap to someone else to produce. icon_smile.gif

But why did you stop just because Yurkie complained? If I stopped what I was doing every time someone complained then my wife would never have sex with me.

• Like 6

But why did you stop just because Yurkie complained? If I stopped what I was doing every time someone complained then my wife would never have sex with me.

I don't think we should be questioning his decision. He chose to halt a project that he had already sunk money into so I would assume he had a valid reason for it. His last post indicates he's willing to pass it on, so don't worry about it. I'm pretty confident it's going to happen. ;)

• Like 1

I don't think we should be questioning his decision. He chose to halt a project that he had already sunk money into so I would assume he had a valid reason for it. His last post indicates he's willing to pass it on, so don't worry about it. I'm pretty confident it's going to happen. ;)

well, at the risk of sounding argumentative - he was admonishing people for wanting an SD cart at all - because it's "piracy" in his estimation, and was lamenting the fact that someone else might make another one now, since the Concerto project has been stalled for quite some time.

it's a very mixed message. it sounds like he's saying piracy is bad, unless you're part of a certain club of 7800 devs who are allowed to make carts that pirate things, because they invested a lot of time and money in coming up with technology that allows piracy.

I mean, nobody here is asking for under the table repros of homebrew games, where the original dev doesn't get their cut - like they would if the carts are purchased direct from the dev himself or through the atariage store. And no one is releasing pirated roms of homebrew games that the original dev hasn't released themselves (Thanks Bob!)

So the only things being "pirated" are roms of 37 year old commercial games developed by game companies that no longer exist. SD Carts aren't really piracy in that respect, unless they are sold with an SD card loaded up with ROMs that the seller isn't entitled to distribute - which no one is doing as far as I know.

I guess I just don't really understand what constitutes piracy, and what doesn't. It seems very vague and fluid.

well, at the risk of sounding argumentative

It's never stopped you before. :roll: Who exactly are you arguing with?

he was admonishing people for wanting an SD cart at all - because it's "piracy" in his estimation,

In all seriousness, I'm having trouble finding where this was said. A quote would help.

• Like 1