IGNORED

Pac_Man Eat n Run

Lewis2907

Quick observations on hardware (2600 Jr., Harmony Encore; 7800, Concerto):

DPC: Returns to title screen after start music (2600 & 7800)

Multisprite: Crashes after title music (2600), plays on 7800 with following exceptions:

• Side tunnels do not work - can't enter them
  • After game over, what looks like a corrupt version of the title screen appears with 'PACMAN MAP' at the bottom and Pac-Man running around in a square pattern
  • If you die with 0 points, the score will wrap around to 99995; further deaths without scoring will keep decrementing the score by 5 points

I should point out that I'm running an experimental (non-public) firmware version on my Concerto, so my results with that cartridge may not match everyone else using a similar configuration.

Batari Basic Team,

Attached are the updated DPC & Multisprite versions. There is now a Multisprite version plays in Javatari. Both Multi play in Javatari, but I removed the titlescreen. 

Let me know if you find issues etc. and feedback is always welcomed, thanks. 

;```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
; Instructions / What works for both (DPC & Multisprite)
;

; If you let the Titlescreen play all the way to the end without pressing the fire button you get a little Pac-Man history.
; Use the joystick to move around.
; Use Select Switch to Pause Game.
; Use BW / Color Switch to bring up and close Map.

; If you get hit by a Ghost you loose five points.

; You start with three lives and at 20, 30 and 50 points you can get an extra life.

; If you see the Fruit the timer starts at the bottom right and you only have some time to grab it before it disappears.  

; Fixed some bugs I found and that x=usr(1536) pointed out.

;

; Future Plans & Update(s):

; DPC - game over, ending screen and other stuff are not exactly what I wanted, but I ran out of space.

; Multisprite - game over, ending screen and other stuff are not exactly what I wanted, but I have more space and need to learn a little more.

; Trying to implement Karl G Cannons sprites at the bottom vice the block look for lives in the multisprite. Ran into a few issues so far. 

; Currently works on my Android with 2600.emu and Stella.

; I don't have any real hardware to test and fix the issues. May buy another 2600 after deployment to try and fix the issues.

20230831_Pacman_Eat_n_Run_DPC.bas.bin 20230831 - PacMan_Eat_N_Run_Multisprite.bas.bin 20230831 - PacMan_Eat_N_Run_Javatari.bas.bin

• Like 1

I think I may have misunderstood part of the gameplay mechanics.  Eating a fruit starts the timer that counts down to when it disappears.  However, it also appears to close off the vertical tunnels and open the horizontal ones for the duration of the timer.  Once it hits zero, the fruit disappears and tunnels revert.  Is this how it should behave?  If so, my earlier comment that the side tunnels were broken is invalidated.

Concerto testing:

• Build functionality is much improved over the previous one.
  • Only crash (black screen) was in the DPC version, right after the start music.
  • All three versions have the jumpy screen bug (known, but figured I'd confirm it for all three).

Harmony Encore testing:

• Javatari version crashes right after the start music.
    • Displays the 'PACMAN MAP' screen with what looks like a corrupt Pac-Man in the centre box.
  • Multisprite has the same crash as Javatari.
  • DPC version displays same crash as when run in the Concerto.

Have to say, it's definitely shaping up.  Looking forward to the more complex mazes of the DPC version.

For Javatari I was able to play the game as with Sella or 2600 emu on my android phone. Not sure why the exits don't work for you, but they seem to work for me. Could be because I'm using Batari Basic then the emulator and probably makes it all work. I will try it in a standalone file with Stella and other emulators.

Maybe I can figure out how to record game play with these emulators. Once I get back to the States I plan to get real hardware and hopefully get it to work on there. Plus I'm working on something else from my childhood in the 80s. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 9/23/2016 at 12:53 AM, Lewis2907 said:

Edited as of 16 Nov 2023. I will post new edits here to make it easier as I'm pretty much gotten as far as i can until i get the Atari 2600+ or get my old real hardware fixed. 

Thanks to RT and atari2600land's Batari Man! plus the other stuff I found online at Bb. I have been working on "PacMan Eat N Run" homage to the Pac Man Table Top version around 1981. I had the tabletop version as a kid and loved that game. Just never really saw  it again to play online.

;```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
;
; Instructions / Gameplay:
;

; You play as the long time favored Pacman trying to rescue Ms. Pacman. You start with 3 lives and can gain an extra life at 20, 35 & 50 points. There are 25 rooms total in the Maze
; Use the joystick to move around and eat the fruit and run as there are no Power Pellets. The goal is to make it to the center room / map and save Ms. PacMan.

;

; Use the left joy stick to move PacMan around.

; Glide along the walls to find the exit to the next room.
; Use Select switch to Pause Game. Press the fire button to resume the game.
; Use BW switch to bring up the Map. Use the Color switch close Map.

; Use the Left Switch A for PacMan to restart at the beginning of the game / original room. (Hard Mode)

; Use the Left Switch B for PacMan to just run over the Ghosts and not be reset to the beginning of the game / original room. (Easy Mode)

; Use the Right Switch A to disable the Map. (Hard Mode)

; Use the Right Switch B to enable the Map. (Easy Mode)

; Currently works on the below:

; Stella 4.7 from 2016

; 2600.emu built 26 Aug 2023 using an Android Phone

; No real hardware to test the game (yet)

;

; Future plans:

; Continue working on the Multisprite version as its about 90% complete and playable now.

; Attempt to do a Standard Kernel version. I saw an example  on how to make a  a few sprites "appear" on the screen at the same time. That will be a challenge.

; Port these over to 7800 basic as I have just started to learn how to code some there.

; Please provide feedback as always.

;

; About me:

; Darrell Lewis aka Lewis2907. I started using Batari Basic back on 27 Nov 2015 while deployed to Afghanistan a second time. Now I'm a LTC in the Army Reserves.

; I was finally able to find something I could understand and sort of self teach myself since it was similar to Basic I learned in elementary school back in the 80's.

; Now I have been able to experiment and learn to make some games. Thanks to everyone who has helped me learn along the way.

The YouTube Table Top PacMan Video

20231116_Pacman_Eat_n_Run_DPC.bas.bin 32 kB · 0 downloads

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm playing around with the Standard Kernel. I have two versions that work so far (kind of). 

1. Standard Kernel is adapted from https://forums.atariage.com/topic/147773-ed-edd-n-eddy-adventurerpg-med-mission-ed-impossible/#comment-1800296 

2. Alt Kernel is adapted from https://forums.atariage.com/topic/340321-2022-atari-2600-games-prototypes/#comment-5115518 

3. If you change a few things in the .bas code you can copy player0 & player1 twice with little to no flicker. Which would help in making some interesting Standard Kernel Games. If you move up to five copies you have the flicker. I think there is a way to reduce the flicker some, but not sure how to accomplish it. Not sure if someone can take a look at the code and have an idea?

4. My plan was to use the missile & ball for Collison detection if that is possible. I recall someone doing that in an example. 

20231216 - PacMan Eat N Run Standard Kernel_Alt.bas.bin 20231216 - PacMan Eat N Run Standard Kernel.bas.bin 20231216 - PacMan Eat N Run Standard Kernel.bas 20231216 - PacMan Eat N Run Standard Kernel_Alt.bas

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Random Terrain said:

If you are using the Standard Kernel, have you tried adapting the program on the bB page?

https://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#maze_32x23

RT, yes that my next plan. Basically using your examples to make the Multisprite & DPC version. Just checking if anyone knows a better code to get 5 sprites to display with out so much flicker. I can get 4 with either code. The EEE is a lot easier to understand which would help in a Standard Kernel game. I'm thinking 64K and make it as big as I can with an idea I have.

• Like 1