IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

Punisher5.0

When some of you say 256GB costs too much I just Googled it and found 512 GB for $60 also I have not read that you can't use more than 1 SD card.

They have shown accessories for holding Game Cards and more than one SD card. So, I think that means you can use more than one. The Switch can support up to 2 TB and they are considering allowing external USB drives from the dock. The feature is already there but they haven't activated it since it is still under consideration because of the issues with going to handheld mode.

• Like 2

I certainly don't disagree with your points, you are right. I guess I just find the transition to digital collections awkward in general so that aspect ends up being a wash for me. Spinning disk and solid state storage has come down a lot but games got huge fast. I have had good experiences with my 3DS but I have a relatively small library and the games are pretty small themselves. I'm assuming the games won't be smaller than the Wii U titles and those wipe out the Pro Wii U storage rather quickly.

Now the account / licensing system...I'm skeptical of how they'll do there and I do care about that. Every other platform I have that aspect is nearly wonderful and at use useful.

If you care about Wii U, plug in an external USB drive and your storage worries are over. I have a 200GB laptop drive on mine, which is plenty for all the stuff I want to buy --and I'm all digital. Wii U games are tiny, like most 3DS games.

When some of you say 256GB costs too much I just Googled it and found 512 GB for $60 also I have not read that you can't use more than 1 SD card.

A name brand 256GB card still costs $200. That price will come down, but for now the biggest MicroSD from a company I'd trust is a 200GB for about $70. 128GB is the sweet spot at around an affordable $40. I wouldn't bother with the no-name cards, it's not just the money, but the reliability of the information you want to store.

Meanwhile, a 64GB Sony-only card for the Vita is still over $100 and only sold in Japan. I'm glad Nintendo seems to do the right thing with media, at least.

• Like 3

Beware of fake SD cards that misrepresent the data capacity. Cheapest I found on Newegg was $156 for a 256Gb Micro. Neither Samsung nor Sandisk makes a 512Gb card yet. I did find a pair (x2) of $128 Gb cards for $91 though, so price per Gb increases wth capacity when you're on the bleeding edge. And I would not trust Amazon or eBay resellers since they likely order from shady places like Aliexpress. And I have placed orders from "US seller" before only to recieve epacket from China.

• Like 1

I would stick to a name brand SD card. Also, there are sales all of the time on these things all if the time depend on the vendor and week.

Did they say anything about what the USB-C port would be used for? Additional storage is one obviously one. Can't see a GPU upgrade unless it supports something like Thunderbolt 3 (highly doubt-expensive) as there could be bandwidth limitations if it just supports USB 3.1. Not all USB-C ports are created equal.

Writing back to the game card for patches and updates... okay in theory, but a mess one someone's cart gets bricked because something funky happens with the update.

• Like 1

Any future everdrive would be a PC running the server software nintendo uses, if that's not made available then software that behaves like what the console would expect. Connectivity would be by wi-fi or bluetooth or ethernet cable. Whatever. The concept is simple. But difficult in the details.

But, since this cart slots, just put the information on the carts. There's 1TB SD cards ready for release this year, and bigger capacities on the way, we're nowhere near the limit of what can be packed into FLASH memory. Each new layer of silicon brings gigs more memory. And hundreds of layers can be stacked.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 2

You can get a class10 microsd card 128GB for $40, but to go to 256GB currently is like triple that. It will come down.

The system itself uses game cards along the size of vita/3ds in dimensions in their own slot. Some people are speculating both ways, no on inside is saying though, if the cards can be saved to. Some think some games will install into the storage, some do not as well. I would lean towards NOT because to have a physical Zelda game, to have it install could end up eating 1/2 your system storage(with firmware figured in already) which is stupid but not unthinkable.

I currently have a 64GB card in my shield tablet i don't use a heap of, if I had to I have a spare 32 I could swap and put a 64 in the switch would likely last a LONG time since like Stardust I'm anti-digital if there is a better option.

People have been going on about the controllers being too small. I have dug up dimensions online, and it appears that the JOYCONS are the width the Gameboy Color, the height of around a GB Micro/Wiimote laid sidways (with the included strap/buttons in the box) and the buttons/stick look to be New3DS (not XL) sized which is just fine. Screen appears to be 6" diagonal, on par with your standard tablets. Unless you're planning on doing a 2player same screen FPS the joycons are all you'll really need in most cases so it's a 2P setup out of the box which we haven't had since the 90s and thoe pads are basically SNES layout conformed with an analog included.

I have trouble taking stock in all DF says in their pre-days of hardware being out. They dogged on Sony and MS and were somewhat full of shit using secondary and tertiary sources. Until it is out, in their hands, and they stress test Zelda I'd take the NOA pr president lackeys word over theirs as they're making a LOT of assumptions lately about what the hardware can do since they don't have it and can only go by numbers off a few known chips and guess the limits despite Nintendo said a lot of customization was done to the parts. It's not a stock Shield Console/Tablet in power but it's also not as great as Shield 2 coming eventually either.

• Like 1

I would suspect that if every system has at least 32GB of storage that save games, patches, DLC, etc., would probably go on that, versus the game card, i.e., it will have a dedicated folder on the internal system storage. I'd MUCH prefer it to go to the game card, then it would make a bit more sense to me to buy cartridges I don't really want (again, me preferring all digital on modern systems), but I would suspect having a read/write card would be too risky. I hope I'm wrong, though.

• Like 1

WTF is this? Really a game or some stupid demo? Looks like way too much work. :lol:

Video "gaming" really is evolving into something I just have zero interest in anymore. A cow milking simulator now? Yeah, this looks like great fun - NOT! Can we pretend to pitch some hay, shovel some shit, vacuum the house and do the dishes next? Please? :rolling:

I think this milking a cow simulator game will be some sort of mini game probably on a game with 50 other mini games. Like the Wii/Wii U's "Party Games". Stupid little games like that are pretty fun with a group of friends/family especially after a few adult beverages. It's like a game of skill/speed.

Most people will use their Switch to play Zelda, Mario, EA game sims, RPG's, etc..

That "Arms" game looks like it'll be really fun. They didn't show any sports games except FIFA. I hope they come out with a Wii Sports for the Switch. Using the better motion controls will make it a more fun experience.

I think this milking a cow simulator game will be some sort of mini game probably on a game with 50 other mini games.

Two things come to mind

This is the company that gave the world wario ware, then charged 9.99 for stupid mario run whatever who cares just last month

• Like 1

It would be fun if it saved to the cart. I never had the money for new games growing up and part of the fun for me was seeing what saves existed from the last owner.

I love how some games I buy secondhand had were like sitting at the final boss door, whereas others didn't even finish the first area. I used to leave the stock saves and start my own game on the new one, then delete them after I surpassed the last area the previous owner reached. Rarely I find a save file that goes halfway through the game; it's usually shortly after the beginning or near the end.

I recently acquired a SM64 cart that had all but one secret star unlocked. I slid down the Princess slide in 19 seconds and there was the last power star. Kind of neat to unlock the final star for once... :D

• Like 1

I would suspect that if every system has at least 32GB of storage that save games, patches, DLC, etc., would probably go on that, versus the game card, i.e., it will have a dedicated folder on the internal system storage. I'd MUCH prefer it to go to the game card, then it would make a bit more sense to me to buy cartridges I don't really want (again, me preferring all digital on modern systems), but I would suspect having a read/write card would be too risky. I hope I'm wrong, though.

Ten years from now your Switch breaks. You get a new one from a secondhand store.

Physical games: you keep your library. :D

Digital downloads: you lose everything. :sad:

• Like 3

^Damn right. They tried so hard with the last (current) generation to go digital completely as much as possible within the limits of the internet we have these days. MS got in deep crap over it too trying to work with EA and a few others to blackball second hand sales by tagging files inside their system. The gamer outcry was awesome they got shamed into doing a 180 that really crippled their sales for a couple of years as seemingly sheer revenge. The reality is once we get into a nation where gigabit download speeds are the norm, knowing this from my brother who is a game producer in the console world, Sony and MS want to go to a download only box with no physical media. The choke point of the slow internet speeds is all that's stopping it anymore. They'd rather tell you what you can buy, when you can buy it, control if and ever if there's a sale on media, and never allow you to resell it (or the entire box itself and its contents) to another person so they can't be denied a dollar ever again. If they could changes things overnight, they'd pull this Monday morning if they could. Be happy you have the Nintendo Switch and others using little cards or discs because you can treat your games like a used car...use it, sell it, use the funds to buy another.

It does surprise me, not so much with the under the drinking age types but the older people why they don't have a problem over digital downloads. People our age know what it means to own stuff vs being sold a rental/lease contract you have no control over and have to abide by the rules or get kicked out. Digital is a curse unless you control the actual file (like only GoG.com and some stand alones do.) It's why I usually won't spend much at all and rarely ever over $5 for a non physical game. You never know when you will be denied access to it in the future or even have it removed from your service. And yeah, what if a system fails once a company moves on and they decide to wipe the updates(for bugs/changes) or the game itself from the server -- you're out thousands of dollars because it's just 'easier' to have a download. I'd rather take the hard road and control what I pay for when I can afford to pay for it.

• Like 5

Ten years from now your Switch breaks. You get a new one from a secondhand store.

Physical games: you keep your library. icon_mrgreen.gif

Digital downloads: you lose everything. icon_frown.gif

It is like the computer age version of libricide.

"See it's... It's no good, Montag. We all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal. So, we must burn the books, Montag. All the books."

• Like 2

Excellent points Tanooki. Physical media affords first sale doctrine. You own something tangible, the media itself. That's why I will never trust any "cloud" based service with my data or purchases.

Schitzo, I had to read 451 in high school. Very ironic considering it was on paperback. Companies essentially "burn" digital media when it is permanently removed from service, or a game that requires phone home to an online service no longer functions because said service ceases to exist. Vaporization of digital files through deletion, corruption of data, or discontinuation of services is somewhat an analog of burning books.

• Like 2

From what I've read they are read-only. It makes sense to me though. The game being on the Game Card and then everything else like saves being on internal memory and/or SD carts seems the same to me as a PlayStation game being on a disc and then the saves being on the memory card. Anyway, I think I would prefer a mixture of both. Something like buying the Game Cards and then installing the games into a big SD card. That would give me more portability while having back-up copies.

Excellent points Tanooki. Physical media affords first sale doctrine. You own something tangible, the media itself. That's why I will never trust any "cloud" based service with my data or purchases.

Schitzo, I had to read 451 in high school. Very ironic considering it was on paperback. Companies essentially "burn" digital media when it is permanently removed from service, or a game that requires phone home to an online service no longer functions because said service ceases to exist. Vaporization of digital files through deletion, corruption of data, or discontinuation of services is somewhat an analog of burning books.

I think we watched the movie in school and read the book. I think all these dystopian books/movies with tele-screens, wallpaper TV's, etc. subconsciously play a part in why I find flat panel TV's ugly. Anyway, I would consider anything designed to prevent things from making it to the future like book burning.

• Like 1

I think this milking a cow simulator game will be some sort of mini game probably on a game with 50 other mini games. Like the Wii/Wii U's "Party Games". Stupid little games like that are pretty fun with a group of friends/family especially after a few adult beverages. It's like a game of skill/speed.

It is- the milking thing is part of 1-2-Switch. You know, the game whose demo video screamed "I should be the pack in! No one will pay $50 for me!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7p47TOmicQ

My overall opinion of the Switch right now... actually pretty positive. I don't care much for specific processor numbers & such- I want good, unique, games. That's what's been shown for the Switch. The idea of a game where you don't look at the screen is interesting (although definitely not full-price-game material as presented). Arms has a terribly stupid art design but a fun-looking concept (sort of a cross between Virtual On and Wii Sports Boxing in an ugly, ugly jacket). I like Puyo Pop & Tetris, so I'm curious about combining the two. And that Octopath Traveler teaser screams Yasumi Matsuno, and if he's actually involved I'm VERY interested.

Is it a day 1 purchase? No, the actual launch lineup is weak (It's Zelda & Friends!)- but maybe in the summer depending on how quickly development of these other titles shapes up. Almost certainly by its first birthday.

For me, this is punctuated by Xbox actively trying to stop me from wanting their system. Guys, seriously, I don't want or need Call of Duty/Halo clone #612. I wanted to fight giant monsters with my f**kin' badass dragon friend! I mean REALLY! I'm a collector! Let me have a damn reason to collect already!

Edited by HoshiChiri
  • Like 2