IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

Punisher5.0

Have gamers become this jaded, every game I saw blew me away. The Mario game alone is worth buying the system, it looks incredible. Xenoblade 2 OMFG!!!! I am actually excited over a new Sonic game, The ZELDA game, it took both hands to get my jaw off the floor. I know I am buying one.

Or maybe, just maybe you are easily impressed.

• Like 2

You play one "free" NES game per month and then you have to buy it? Are you kidding me? *chuckles*

Yeah, that really is complete nonsense. If Sony and Microsoft can give away multiple (and sometimes big budget) games a month without breaking a sweat, then certainly Nintendo can give away a single dirt cheap Virtual Console game a month, particularly since they're asking for a similar subscription fee. Hopefully that's one of the policies that they're not going to be Nintendo stubborn about and not change.

Although I'm fully onboard with the Switch (I would never not be with a new major platform), I can absolutely understand the many criticisms about this particular launch. I do have some reservations about the potential success of this device because of that. I'm certainly not ready to say that this won't be another Wii U.

• Like 5

Have gamers become this jaded, every game I saw blew me away. The Mario game alone is worth buying the system, it looks incredible. Xenoblade 2 OMFG!!!! I am actually excited over a new Sonic game, The ZELDA game, it took both hands to get my jaw off the floor. I know I am buying one.

Agreed. At least Nintendo is trying something different. I'm a fan of all three harware manufacturer (Microsoft for PC only) and honestly I don't feel that I need another machine that plays COD 5000. I want a solid piece of hardware that has good games and I think Nintendo can pull it off with the Switch. Nintendo seems to be the only company interested in Sharing a couch type of gaming and that's what I like. I like playing games together with my family and not some loser A-hole that lives in mommys house still and plays games online all day. That's not fun to me at all.

Agreed. At least Nintendo is trying something different. I'm a fan of all three harware manufacturer (Microsoft for PC only) and honestly I don't feel that I need another machine that plays COD 5000. I want a solid piece of hardware that has good games and I think Nintendo can pull it off with the Switch. Nintendo seems to be the only company interested in Sharing a couch type of gaming and that's what I like. I like playing games together with my family and not some loser A-hole that lives in mommys house still and plays games online all day. That's not fun to me at all.

Well, to be fair, they have to try something different since they don't like to compete on power any longer or even launch near the same time. And I'm not sure I agree fully with the whole couch thing. While Nintendo certainly is emphasizing local multiplayer (in a relatively high portion of the announced games, although obviously several are single player only), the competition (outside of PC) is no slouch in that regard either (there are big, established libraries on PS4 and Xbox One), and to get the full (more than two player) experience on the Switch is not going to be cheap (first party accessory prices are sky high, and that's even discounting owning another unit).

With the above in mind, it would have been nice for Nintendo to put this out at $249.99. It would taken some of the sting out of some of the other deficiencies. Regardless, my biggest concern for the whole endeavor is that we're not necessarily seeing great third party content in the 2017 pipeline at the moment. That may not bode well given past history.

• Like 1

With the above in mind, it would have been nice for Nintendo to put this out at $249.99. It would taken some of the sting out of some of the other deficiencies. Regardless, my biggest concern for the whole endeavor is that we're not necessarily seeing great third party content in the 2017 pipeline at the moment. That may not bode well given past history.

It depends. I've seen the prices of Nintendo dev hardware and that's a bit of a sticking point with Nintendo. Microsoft and Sony have done more to attract Indies than Nintendo. I would imagine that quite a few smaller studios and Indies grew up playing Nintendo and would jump at the chance to become developers for them. And the ingredients are all there. It just needs a bit of enthusiasm and less stuck-in-the-past corporate bullshittery from Nintendo. Microsoft have been giving away Xbox One dev units to devs that they've approved, and that includes Indies. If Nintendo do that then it looks like they only do it with larger companies.

Switch would be a good place for Nintendo to start changing their ways. There are a lot of smaller developers who have plenty of experience dealing with tablet devices and you can virtually guarantee that devs will be able to use Unity to develop their games.

The way I see it, the Switch isn't trying to lure 3DS customers yet. The 3DS still has about a year or so of viable marketability in it, and Nintendo will ride that as long as they can (why toss a successful system out the door when its still making money?). The Switch, at the moment, is replacing the Wii-U, and taking the focus as the dominant traditional console. When it's time to retire the 3DS, Nintendo will suddenly find a way to offer a Switch at a handheld price.

BTW: launch and first-year titles: http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/753735/Nintendo-Switch-LAUNCH-TITLES-Full-games-list-March-release-date

A future cost reduced SKU with smaller screen, no dock, and hard-wired Joycons would be a possibility for migrating existing 3DS fans. I agree though the 3DS has life in it still, but it's really up to Nintendo if they continue developing games for it or simply let it die. Switch needs a smaller SKU with true "mobile" form factor though to be a true 3DS replacement.

Well, to be fair, they have to try something different since they don't like to compete on power any longer or even launch near the same time. And I'm not sure I agree fully with the whole couch thing. While Nintendo certainly is emphasizing local multiplayer (in a relatively high portion of the announced games, although obviously several are single player only), the competition (outside of PC) is no slouch in that regard either (there are big, established libraries on PS4 and Xbox One), and to get the full (more than two player) experience on the Switch is not going to be cheap (first party accessory prices are sky high, and that's even discounting owning another unit).

Agreed on the price. It should have been $250. I guess we will see on the quality of the unit.

As for multiplayer. Based on what I've seen personally it seems like the industry is going for more online multiplayer than local

Perhaps. In the land of plenty (i.e., the current bountiful and abundant gaming landscape), it's admittedly hard to be impressed. At the same time, we are still dealing with a modestly spec'd system that's retailing for more than some people expected and a fairly anemic launch window line-up bereft of any notable exclusives (and as cool as Zelda is, it's not even an exclusive).

For all practical purposes, it is exclusive. The Wii-U port is really just a fan service or last hurrah. I expect Wii-U will get buried shortly after Switch's launch. I still need to pick up Twilight Princess and it appears to be gone from most retail shelves.

^ Hey, looking closer, is that Kristen Schaal from Last Man On Earth? She was also in a Weird Al video...

attachicon.gifIMG_0036.JPG

Totally right. She must have shot this skit during the off season. Been following Last Man on Earth since it's inception. The "bad" chemistry between Phil and Carol really is comedy gold. I also like that they have to stick with a small cast. You get to intimately know the actors, unlike the usual dramas where they are constantly pulling in cameos and extras and I lose track of everyone.

• Like 2

Well, I could not stay up to watch the video, so I was content to read things.

1. This is a wait and see for me at that price. I have way too much of a backlog, and really don't need yet another system.

2. How big is that controller when the system is docked and the Joy-Cons are put together? From the looks of things, I would probably prefer the Pro controller, but buying another controller for $70.00.... shessh

3. The only game that really interests me is the Zelda game. I'll either get it for the Wii U or just wait. I still have the two Wii Zelda games to play (well, technically one of them is the remake)

4. The rental system for a paid online service is stupid. There is no excuse to have it only free for a month, especially if it is going to be a VC game. Take a note from Sony and MS here. Should be playable as long as you have a subscription.

5. If I buy a digital game on my console, is it tied to my login or the console. Not clear in the stuff I have read.

6. Rumors abound that there will be no Netflix et al. Not sure I care about that. There are Roku's and AppleTV, Amazon whatever for that.

7. Too early to bash it and call it a failure. There is some potential here... ball is in Nintendo's court to see if this system is worth it to me say a year from now.

Super Mario Odyssey looks really, really good!

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=dVXX3ZXu0zg

Amazing. I just can't stop watching this video. :lust: I find it so ironic however the GTA/Lego City Undercover stylized metropolis populated with lifelike proportional humans, and Mario's body is twice as high as he is tall. Basically Mario has the proportions of an overgrown toddler. :P

It would be neat if they insert a Hyrule themed zone in this game, or let Mario blast into outerspace for a Galaxy throwback level.

And my wish for another sandbox-style exploration world for Mario has been granted. I wonder if the cities are bounded by invisible walls (SM64 and Sunshine all had invisible boundaries) or if you can just go on running forever, like with the desert village, it would be neat if you could just keep running for some distance before you hit the edge. Or traverse between areas BOTW style without using the airship.

Super Mario Odyssey looks really, really good!

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=dVXX3ZXu0zg

honestly I got quite the vibe of sonic adventure 1 and 2 watching that, which I didnt like either, outside of that, most of the trailer was scenery panovers, and introduces a gimmick, mario's hat. Not exactly flipping out if you cant tell

Course, if Sonic is like Fat Axl, then Mario is like a rapping grandpa IMO

Edited by Osgeld

I'm surprised we don't have more tech specs. I'm still waiting on real CPU specs and RAM. I'd also like to know the capabilities of the USB-C port. I was happy to see the system can be expanded with SDXC cards because that 32 gig drive could get full fast.

We didn't get much more than a game list and an MSRP. Which was plenty, I suppose. But the "big reveal" only confirmed what we'd already speculated. And that's okay.

I dunno, when you're only interested in one company's games, maybe you're entitled to a little irrational fanboyism. :-)

I'm surprised we don't have more tech specs. I'm still waiting on real CPU specs and RAM. I'd also like to know the capabilities of the USB-C port. I was happy to see the system can be expanded with SDXC cards because that 32 gig drive could get full fast.

We didn't get much more than a game list and an MSRP. Which was plenty, I suppose. But the "big reveal" only confirmed what we'd already speculated. And that's okay.

I dunno, when you're only interested in one company's games, maybe you're entitled to a little irrational fanboyism. :-)

"The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild File Size Is 40% of Switch's Storage"

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-file-size-i/1100-6446937/

What were they thinking? Wii-U launched with 32Gb 4 years ago. That's got to be worth 128Gb minimum today. At current prices, a 256Gb microSD card will run about $150 at Amazon or Newegg, with Sandisc and Samsung being the only reputable brands currently making them. A 128Gb card runs around $60, but I'll likely need 256Gb if I want to future-proof the system.

I'm not worried shortly after launch, as I plan on buying most software on retail cards. But I do plan on buying a lot of eShop indie games and VC content, and those rumored Game Cube games will be 1.4Gb each. It will start to add up...