IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

Punisher5.0

My wife's pre-order was messed up for whatever reason. Anyway, I saw 9 of them today at Walmart and bought one. I thought I was hallucinating with that many that late at night. They also had the Galaxy New 3DS XL which it along with other models like the 2DS and regular New 3DS I constantly see new stock of coming in and out. So, I don't know what people have been going on about with shortages of Nintendo hardware and/or hardware not moving other than the NES Classic. I also got BOTW Special Edition. That box is huge compared to the Switch's. I got a Zelda themed screen protector with button covers and a skin for the dock. I also got Bomberman. I can't wait to open it all on my next day off(Monday). Anyway, when I held the Switch and BOTW boxes while looking at the huge shelf of accessories that were mostly sold out I could feel the Nintendo Power. That tells me this will be much more successful than the Wii U. Especially since everyone I have spoke to about it rather I know them or they are complete strangers knows what it is. They even seem to understand how high of a demand there is for it. For an example, after I left and went to the gas station I told the clerk that if he or anyone he knows is looking for a Switch that there are 8 at the Walmart down the street. He said that he knows but he doubts they will still be there by the time his shift is over. When I got home and showed my wife BOTW Special Edition she said,"Well, it looks like I have to take back your anniversary present." LOL! :D

• Like 2

I got a Zelda themed screen protector with button covers and a skin for the dock.

You might not wanna apply that skin- apparently the finish on the switch does not hold up to being skinned/stickered over- when removed, logos peel & there's a pitting effect left behind.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/03/05/nintendo-switch-stickers-skins-reportedly-cause-surface-damage

If stickers are that nasty, try this!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/302264633342

There's quite a few of those things on ebay, most of them use cheap t-shirt material for around $10-13 shipped. I paid $15 shipped on that one, and it's more of a soft plush material you'd find used to protect things that can scratch up or wipe them clean. It's a good snug fit over the front half of the dock, inside drops right to the bottom and cut right to fit around the rise where the usb-C port is. I had been getting some smudges but thankfully not scratches/scuffs on my panel from pulling out lately for I Am Setsuna so I popped for it and it's been snug and clean since. I'd suggest that, but for general use, you shouldn't be scratching it unless you're careless then kind of have it coming.

Yeah I have inserted and removed the tablet dozens of times and no scratches whatsoever. I do take care not to drop it and only use it with clean hands and place it either in the carry case or the dock when not in use.

The Zelda themed screen protector with gold accents got messed up despite my best effort to clean the screen, dust particles / crumbs somehow got between the screen and the protector causing nasty bubbles everywhere despite my trying to apply as carefully as possible. I ended up tossing the screen protector cause the OCD in me would drive me crazy with bubbles anywhere on screen. Smudges I can deal with periodically as they wipe easily with microfiber cloth dampened with isopropyl alcohol.

Also multiple reports have confirmed that the officially licensed PDP decals do not cause damage when peeled away. Specifically this issue referred to a single unlicensed 3rd party product that used an "industrial strength" adhesive which pitted the surface either through physical or chemical means, causing cosmetic damage when removed. The Zelda PDP decals are perfectly safe for the product and leave absolutely no residue when peeled away. It is even possible to carefully peel and reapply if misaligned upon first application.

• Like 1

If stickers are that nasty, try this!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/302264633342

There's quite a few of those things on ebay, most of them use cheap t-shirt material for around $10-13 shipped. I paid $15 shipped on that one, and it's more of a soft plush material you'd find used to protect things that can scratch up or wipe them clean. It's a good snug fit over the front half of the dock, inside drops right to the bottom and cut right to fit around the rise where the usb-C port is. I had been getting some smudges but thankfully not scratches/scuffs on my panel from pulling out lately for I Am Setsuna so I popped for it and it's been snug and clean since. I'd suggest that, but for general use, you shouldn't be scratching it unless you're careless then kind of have it coming.

I'm gonna have to make one of those when I get mine. ;)

Yeah I have inserted and removed the tablet dozens of times and no scratches whatsoever. I do take care not to drop it and only use it with clean hands and place it either in the carry case or the dock when not in use.

The Zelda themed screen protector with gold accents got messed up despite my best effort to clean the screen, dust particles / crumbs somehow got between the screen and the protector causing nasty bubbles everywhere despite my trying to apply as carefully as possible. I ended up tossing the screen protector cause the OCD in me would drive me crazy with bubbles anywhere on screen. Smudges I can deal with periodically as they wipe easily with microfiber cloth dampened with isopropyl alcohol.

Also multiple reports have confirmed that the officially licensed PDP decals do not cause damage when peeled away. Specifically this issue referred to a single unlicensed 3rd party product that used an "industrial strength" adhesive which pitted the surface either through physical or chemical means, causing cosmetic damage when removed. The Zelda PDP decals are perfectly safe for the product and leave absolutely no residue when peeled away. It is even possible to carefully peel and reapply if misaligned upon first application.

Yeah some of the reports of scratched screens are fake. I've seen pics of horizontal scratches. You would either have to be completely stupid and slide the system from the side to dock it or they were put there by completely unrelated terms. It's sad the length people will go to to get hits on their channel.

• Like 1

Sounds like Lego City Undercover is a pretty lackluster port. Load times for instance are only reduced slightly. So 70 second downloads are still over 50 seconds and so on. A significant improvement to be sure, but not the huge leap people were expecting to see.

Not a bad way to play the game it appears from early impressions, but enhancements and improvements seem few and far between, with only minor improvements to the primary issue of the Wii U original. And it's a full price game despite the presence of a $20 Nintendo Selects rerelease on the Wii U.

Sounds like Lego City Undercover is a pretty lackluster port. Load times for instance are only reduced slightly. So 70 second downloads are still over 50 seconds and so on. A significant improvement to be sure, but not the huge leap people were expecting to see.

Not a bad way to play the game it appears from early impressions, but enhancements and improvements seem few and far between, with only minor improvements to the primary issue of the Wii U original. And it's a full price game despite the presence of a $20 Nintendo Selects rerelease on the Wii U.

IMHO, this lazy port should have been released as a $30 title. I enjoyed the original n Wii-U and would like to play through the game again in the future, but I'm not paying $60 for the privilege.

• Like 1

IMHO, this lazy port should have been released as a $30 title. I enjoyed the original n Wii-U and would like to play through the game again in the future, but I'm not paying $60 for the privilege.

This all day. I was waiting to hear on this one, but in the end, I'm not sure I'd even bother at all now. That's just f'd up entirely only kind of fixing the terrible load times. Was it really that hard for those peons to do it right with more room to work with than the problematic constraints of the WiiU? You look at the immense scope of Breath of the Wild, and wonder why kind of crap they were smoking not able to buffer even a fraction of that world without some PS1 era load times going on. Then to kick (again) Nintendo, Sony, MS, and PC fans in the teeth asking $60 for a barely if any ginned up port of a years old Lego game is the equal of a digital cock punching basically.

I'll buy it, sure...when people on ebay catch onto their shit and get rid of it for around $10-15 on your platform of choice. :) I see no reason to give money to a developer that lazy, ever. This isn't even a Switch thing as it's a new thing to try and wonder since WiiU was a hot turd, this is just messed up across the board whatever the format. If you're going to ask full price, you better damn well step it up like Nintendo did with Wind Waker and then later the Twilight Princess HD updates. That showed a true remastering care that earned those dollars.

• Like 1

I see no reason to give money to a developer that lazy, ever.

I'll buy it, sure...when people on ebay catch onto their shit and get rid of it for around $10-15 on your platform of choice.

unless its pirated, the developer still makes money off of a sale and is encouraged to produce more shitware, just at an even lower quality, cause they can sell 15$ games for games that cost them 3$ per unit to produce including development and give a crap resources

hince the problem

This all day. I was waiting to hear on this one, but in the end, I'm not sure I'd even bother at all now. That's just f'd up entirely only kind of fixing the terrible load times. Was it really that hard for those peons to do it right with more room to work with than the problematic constraints of the WiiU? You look at the immense scope of Breath of the Wild, and wonder why kind of crap they were smoking not able to buffer even a fraction of that world without some PS1 era load times going on. Then to kick (again) Nintendo, Sony, MS, and PC fans in the teeth asking $60 for a barely if any ginned up port of a years old Lego game is the equal of a digital cock punching basically.

I'll buy it, sure...when people on ebay catch onto their shit and get rid of it for around $10-15 on your platform of choice. :) I see no reason to give money to a developer that lazy, ever. This isn't even a Switch thing as it's a new thing to try and wonder since WiiU was a hot turd, this is just messed up across the board whatever the format. If you're going to ask full price, you better damn well step it up like Nintendo did with Wind Waker and then later the Twilight Princess HD updates. That showed a true remastering care that earned those dollars.

Don't forget Mario Kart 8 Deluxe with proper battle courses and all DLC packs included day one! That's worth paying $60 for again IMO. I think I'd rather have that than an all new Mario Kart that doesn't live up to 8.

unless its pirated, the developer still makes money off of a sale and is encouraged to produce more shitware, just at an even lower quality, cause they can sell 15$ games for games that cost them 3$ per unit to produce including development and give a crap resources

hince the problem

How so? Second hand sales don't earn the developer a dime. :ponder:

^Well I can't stop people from buying it, but buying their mistake for a small fraction of the price you don't end up punishing yourself, only the clowns overcharging on nearly half decade old games for full price with minimal effort to do anything extra to fix it.

If I can get it off a disgruntled old owner for 25% of the MSRP, they get a little back. I get to try it out. WB doesn't get my $60. Only they suffer. Seems like a win win to me. It's not encouraging anything as to them it's one sale, not two. That's why a lot of industry types initially got behind that hotly failed abusive garbage MS talked about for their One system blocking out the resale of games physically bought tagging them to the hardware. All that DRM howling and shaming while Sony sat back, laughed, and welcomed anyone who wanted to not deal with it and the Ones sales never recovered or caught up over that dumb stunt.

• Like 1

I'm not surprised at Lego City Undercover being a lazy port. It was a lazy game in the first place. Before its release on the Wii U I had really high hopes for the thing. It's still hard to understand why this game is so poorly optimized when the vast majority of games are just fine in that department.

I'm not surprised at Lego City Undercover being a lazy port. It was a lazy game in the first place. Before its release on the Wii U I had really high hopes for the thing. It's still hard to understand why this game is so poorly optimized when the vast majority of games are just fine in that department.

I found it to be the best Lego game I ever played, by creating an original GTA style IP and not gameplay shoehorned into scenes from a trilogy of movies. Aside from the long load times, it was a fantastic game with a lot of content and stuff to do. Not as large as say Zelda: BOTW, but still pretty good on the content, and made innovative use of the gamepad. I also rather enjoyed the collectathon aspects as well. Tons of secrets and Easter Eggs all over the game world. They even have a Mario style warp pipe in there, and question blocks, stars, and Bill Blasters.

But yeah, them load times when transitioning between the hub world and a stage area were pants...

Since you already paid full price for the Wii U version would you say that it still may be worth full price for someone like me that doesn't own a Wii U and therefore it would be a new game to me? In other words, do you feel like it is only worth $30 as a repurchase but was and still could be worth $60 for a first time purchase?

Bored and read the last few comments at NeoGaf about this game. While not a great source of information, it suggests that the patch for Lego City is just 500 mb's and that the game runs in 1080p in docked mode (Versus 720p on the Wii U, as I recall).

I'd still love to know the story about how such misinformation ended up on the rear of the case. It's easy to make a plausible guess on how something like the incorrect controller information ended up on the case insert for the Wii U version of Zelda, but it's hard to spin this one in a way that makes much sense.

Intentional sabotage by a disgruntled employee that wasn't noticed in time, perhaps? If so, it certainly had the desired effect in getting everyone in an uproar. :)

Edited by Atariboy

How about how there's no such thing as bad press?

What would have otherwise been an underwhelming full price re-release of a 5 year old game that probably would have flown under the radar on most systems instead became a huge hot bed of speculation, complaining, guessing, anger, acceptance, and pleasure by vast amounts of gaming information resources from the media to messageboards and facebook type stuff. They didn't have a pay a dime and got millions in advertising in comparison (much like the last election, look up how much both sides spent as the gap is stunning.)

• Like 1

Since you already paid full price for the Wii U version would you say that it still may be worth full price for someone like me that doesn't own a Wii U and therefore it would be a new game to me? In other words, do you feel like it is only worth $30 as a repurchase but was and still could be worth $60 for a first time purchase?

As a first time purchase, I could see a $60 value in it. It's like with stuff like Skyrim and Super Street Fighter II Ultra, as a Nintendo gamer, I've never had an opportunity to play said games despite them being out for years prior, so those are worthy purchases to me. However, I think publshers need to take a look at perceived value. If a release for another system sells for $20, will enough gamers see value in it as a $60 release? What is worth $60 to me may not be worth $60 to another gamer and visa versa. Pricing is a sensitive subject as well. 2 million sales at $30 versus 1 million sales at $60 nets the same amount of profit for the company, yet places the game in the hands of more players. Brand dilution is also something to think about. Look at the Disney "Vault" versus Nintendo VC, reissuing each classic movie/game each generation. Nintendo games rarely go on sale creating perceived high value. Disney utilizes a similar tactic whereas other movie studios or AAA developers cheapen their brand by releasing the same game a year later with $30 worth of DLC packs for $30, which would have cost $90 upon release. Apple's another company that relies on high perceived value. Something to think about.

TL;DR: It was worth $60 to me in 2013 when it was brand new because I'd never played it. Is it worth $60 to you in 2017 as a "new" game? That's up to you to decide. :)

• Like 1