IGNORED

Sega Saturn Bomberman advice?

Hey guys,

My son bought a Sega Saturn, and I know he wants to get Bomberman.

Where are the best places to look for this and what is a fair market price these days?

I am assuming EU and Japan imports won't work on his U.S. Saturn right?

Would appreciate any advice.

As mentioned, the EU and Japanese versions should run on a NA machine with the replay cart. Haven't actually tested it myself yet because most of the games I seem to find are text heavy Japanese games where I would be lost.

All Saturn games seem to be overpriced these days, and desirable ones are more expensive, of course. The Saturn Bomberman is supposed pretty good and is known for it's multiplayer capbility. Now, just how much should be pid for any game is a debatable topic. I've tended to go to pricecharting.com to see what people seem to be paying for games. It is showing about $140 loose, $300 complete, and over $400 new. Whether it's worth that or not... really up to you. (I believe these are for the NA version, not sure about imports.)

As a very serious Sega Saturn collector (530 + Games) I can tell you that the Saturn Bomber-man is pure magic.

I do believe that it is the only version that allows 10 players with 2 multi-taps! I have set that up many times and the friends and I will play for hours.

The game does not have a lot of text so if you get a Japanese version it should not be a problem as the game is pretty straightforward.

If you can find it for 200 or less jump at it, as it really is the ultimate party game of all time!!

Either way, pick up an action replay, tons of great imports on the Saturn and many cheaper than the US version. For Bomberman I'd probably just burn a copy rather than pay the going price if you just want to play it. Unfortunately the heyday of cheap NOS Saturn controllers are gone, but you should still be able to find some for a nice price. Enjoy the Saturn, it's a great system!

Unfortunately, the US version of Saturn Bomberman is stupid expensive. The Action Replay will allow you to play imports on the US console, and that combined with a Japanese copy of Saturn Bomberman should be considerably less expensive than a US copy by itself.

Japanese Saturn Bomberman ($28 shipped) - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Saturn-Saturn-Bomberman-Japan-SS-/222293991385?hash=item33c1c11fd9:g:QGAAAOSw44BYEEpf

Action Replay Cart, new in box ($35 shipped) - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Action-Replay-4M-Plus-Ultimate-enhancement-for-your-Saturn-console-/172343186608?hash=item28207454b0:g:KhwAAOSw4shX2rqn

The AR is an amazing asset to any Saturn collection. If your son ever decides to purchase games that require RAM support, it has that functionality built in. It also acts as a cheat device and acts as a memory card as well (just have to reset the console to back up data to it once you are done).

I should also clarify there's another Japanese one dubbed, "Bomberman Fight!!". Looks like it's a twist on the formula but with 3D graphics. The original Saturn Bomberman is what he wants, but this might be worth checking out too. It's about $28 shipped on eBay just like the original game. (video footage).

• Like 1

You may want to look into Psuedo Saturn as seen in the link below.

http://ppcenter.webou.net/pskai/

I have still not used it but it seems to get good results and then you can use cheaper media like a CDR. Remember though you may need to up the laser power if you go for cdr's and cdr-w disks. For that there is an adjustment to me made inside the unit which is pretty easy to get to. Counter clockwise I believe is more and clockwise is less.

Really its getting the 8-10 controllers together that will be a pain so good luck.