IGNORED

New MAME release

mizapf

19 hours ago, mizapf said:

I'd recommend not to use apt; I don't know which release of MAME they offer in the repository. The release you can get from WHTech is likely more recent.

Did you try this: sudo apt install libsdl2-ttf-2.0-0

libsdl2-ttf-2.0-0 is already the newest version (2.20.1+dfsg-2).
libsdl2-ttf-2.0-0 set to manually installed.

2 hours ago, mizapf said:

Hmm, I can just guess that there is a problem with the SDL support for the Raspberry 5. I don't have one, just a Raspi 4. If you have a Raspi 4, did you check whether this works?

maybe.. It's something to do with bookworm  I'm trying to compile sdl and mame here to see if that helps

I only used the Classic99 and V9T9 emulators, but I do want to try out a MAME setup, but I was wondering is there just a simple pre-built archive with only TI99 and Geneve systems all pre-configured, I do not want any emulation of non-TI systems, so looking for striped down archive that can be up and running with little effort on Windows 8.1 or 10.

3 hours ago, mizapf said:

Yes, the builds on WHTech are TI-only (except for the macOS builds, 'cause I don't have a Mac). It saves a bit of space, but not dramatically, as the core takes up a lot of space itself.

ok, i will check it out. Are the builds on WHTech updated? -- I am not worried about space, just for my own legal reasons I can't have emulators for other systems, so I try to stay away from non TI systems.

The builds on WHTech contain the TI-99/4, TI-99/4A, TI-99/4QI, TI-99/4A with EVPC, TI-99/4P (aka SGCPU), TI-99/8, Geneve 9640, TI-99/2, EVMBUG, Cortex, CC-40, TM990/189, and Tomy Tutor.

I wrote a self-configuration program "mameprep_cygwin" which pulls all required ROMs from WHTech. The ROMs may not be bundled with MAME, so this separation is required. However, it requires that you install Cygwin on your Windows PC, which is quite simple. You should, however, check the additional packages of Cygwin for wget and unzip.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, mizapf said:

The builds on WHTech contain the TI-99/4, TI-99/4A, TI-99/4QI, TI-99/4A with EVPC, TI-99/4P (aka SGCPU), TI-99/8, Geneve 9640, TI-99/2, EVMBUG, Cortex, CC-40, TM990/189, and Tomy Tutor.

I wrote a self-configuration program "mameprep_cygwin" which pulls all required ROMs from WHTech. The ROMs may not be bundled with MAME, so this separation is required. However, it requires that you install Cygwin on your Windows PC, which is quite simple. You should, however, check the additional packages of Cygwin for wget and unzip.

ok, thanks i was wondering what the mameprep was for, i will grab that as well now, and cygwin i think i already have on my pc, will make sure i have the wget and unzip added as well. thanks alot.

• Like 1

So, I just installed the latest Raspberry Pi OS (Debian 12 "bookworm") on my Raspberry Pi 4 on a new microSD card, and things went pretty smoothly.

1. Download the MAME package from WHTech

2. mkdir mame

3. Extract the tar.gz file into ~/mame; cd mame

4. ./mameprep

5. ./ti99

runs the TI emulation, no errors or warnings. I did not even have to install a single library.

@arcadeshopperYou could try to repeat the MAME installation into a ~/mame1 folder and see whether this makes a difference. If not, the issue is with the different hardware of the Raspberry Pi 5.

One thing I noticed: When I download tar.gz files from WHTech, they happen to be doubly-gzipped (should be named tar.gz.gz). That is, if you get a "This does not look like a tar archive", you have to gunzip the file, then retry the tar extraction.

Not sure whether it's the new OS, but the Geneve emulation is now above 86%, so if you don't care about the proper timing and some sound stutters, the Raspberry Pi 4 may actually run the Geneve emulation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pjduplooy said:

Just a quick question.

Is there any frontend like OoeyGUI that I can use with the Linux version of your MAME packages?

there was supposed to be a new version of Ooey but life seems to have gotten in @Shift838's way   maybe he'll have time during the holidays to get it done

1 hour ago, pjduplooy said:

Just a quick question.

Is there any frontend like OoeyGUI that I can use with the Linux version of your MAME packages?

The current version of OoeyGUI works on Windows, MAC, Linux and Raspberry Pi.  It is cross platform compatible since I coded it in Python and made it an executable.

I am still working on the new version to add some features.

• Like 4

Hi Chris

On Debian 12, I get the following error on doing the Mame install step (I have Mame and Mametools installed):

pieter@LENOVO:~/ooeygui$ ./ooeygui
pygame 2.0.1 (SDL 2.0.14, Python 3.8.5)
Hello from the pygame community. https://www.pygame.org/contribute.html
Gtk-Message: 18:10:46.564: Failed to load module "xapp-gtk3-module"
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gio/modules/libgiognutls.so: undefined symbol: g_tls_channel_binding_error_quark
Failed to load module: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gio/modules/libgiognutls.so
/home/pieter/ooeygui/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.29' not found (required by /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libproxy.so.1)
Failed to load module: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gio/modules/libgiolibproxy.so
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gio/modules/libgiognomeproxy.so: undefined symbol: g_uri_is_valid
Failed to load module: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gio/modules/libgiognomeproxy.so
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "ooeygui.py", line 482, in _getmamever
NameError: name 'myos' is not defined
Aborted (core dumped)

Can you help with this please?

A strange data point.

I setup a 99/4a and a Geneve with TIPI support.

with the 99/4a - I can go EA5 - TIPI.UTIL.DM2K <= Works.

In Basic CALL TIPI("TIPI.UTIL.DM2K") - Starts to load, and then locks up.

with the Geneve, pointing to the same TIPI, in the directory UTIL

EXEC DM2K <= Works.

On 12/24/2023 at 5:15 PM, pjduplooy said:

Hi Chris

On Debian 12, I get the following error on doing the Mame install step (I have Mame and Mametools installed):

pieter@LENOVO:~/ooeygui$ ./ooeygui
pygame 2.0.1 (SDL 2.0.14, Python 3.8.5)
Hello from the pygame community. https://www.pygame.org/contribute.html
Gtk-Message: 18:10:46.564: Failed to load module "xapp-gtk3-module"
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gio/modules/libgiognutls.so: undefined symbol: g_tls_channel_binding_error_quark
Failed to load module: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gio/modules/libgiognutls.so
/home/pieter/ooeygui/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.29' not found (required by /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libproxy.so.1)
Failed to load module: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gio/modules/libgiolibproxy.so
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gio/modules/libgiognomeproxy.so: undefined symbol: g_uri_is_valid
Failed to load module: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gio/modules/libgiognomeproxy.so
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "ooeygui.py", line 482, in _getmamever
NameError: name 'myos' is not defined
Aborted (core dumped)

Can you help with this please?

This looks like libraries from different sources mixing up.

Particularly, the libbproxy.so.1 is from your system installation (/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu), and it is linked against a newer libstdc++. The libstdc++ is taken from the ooeygui folder, and obviously lacks the newer symbols.

You should remove or rename the libstdc++.so.6 in /home/pieter/ooeygui so that it is taken from your system installation, not from the local folder. This will, however, possibly not solve the other issues, but it is worth a try.

• 2 weeks later...

Each time they issue a new generation, I'm curious to see whether those new processor generations really give more performance. So when I have the opportunity - as now with a Core i5 14600KF - I try a MAME build with a certain subset of drivers (TI family plus C64 and Amiga) and measure the build time (8 parallel jobs each):

Core i5 12600KF: 360 seconds

Core i5 14600KF: 274 seconds

So it's again a good deal faster. With 12 jobs, the 14600 does it in 229 seconds.

(Don't worry, I can't actually afford to swap my computers every year; it's just that I have two locations requiring an upgrade, and I'm doing that one year apart. Next upgrade is scheduled in about 5 years.)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mizapf said:

Each time they issue a new generation, I'm curious to see whether those new processor generations really give more performance. So when I have the opportunity - as now with a Core i5 14600KF - I try a MAME build with a certain subset of drivers (TI family plus C64 and Amiga) and measure the build time (8 parallel jobs each):

So it's again a good deal faster. With 12 jobs, the 14600 does it in 229 seconds.

(Don't worry, I can't actually afford to swap my computers every year; it's just that I have two locations requiring an upgrade, and I'm doing that one year apart. Next upgrade is scheduled in about 5 years.)

Interesting.  How would my M2 Apple Silicon fair?  :)

23 hours ago, mizapf said:

It would be interesting indeed. You could try to set up a build environment on your Apple. I guess it's not too different from the setup on a Linux system.

Okay I think I'm ready to build.  What were your make command line(s) for the tests?

This is my build line:

make -j8 SOURCES=src/mame/ti/ti99_4x.cpp,src/mame/ti/ti99_4p.cpp,src/mame/ti/ti99_8.cpp,src/mame/ti/geneve.cpp,src/mame/ti/ti99_2.cpp,src/mame/ti/cc40.cpp,src/mame/commodore/c64.cpp,src/mame/amiga/amiga.cpp,src/mame/sega/segaorun.cpp REGENIE=1

Obviously, I forgot to remove Sega Outrun which is still contained in the line, although I did not play it for quite some time now. I got to know and love it on a summer vacation in Spain 1988, in a small arcade hall near the beach.

I'm using gcc/g++ as compiler suite. Alternatively, you may use clang.

On 1/6/2024 at 3:31 PM, mizapf said:

Okay, on my late 2022 macbook air with M2 processor (4 performance and 4 efficiency cores) and 16GB RAM I get:

M2:  236 seconds.

Not bad for a lightweight laptop with no fan. 😎

• Like 1