IGNORED

New MAME release

mizapf

testing on PI5

bookworm os without xwindows - fail  display doesn't work no matter what I use..

bookworm with desktop - works fine, set up local tipi emu install with matt's updates for bookwork (not avail on public git yet) seems to run geneve at full speed imho

I made a ti basic program in gpl that runs at about the same exact speed on the real geneve as the mame geneve

• Like 3

My times on different computers:

Compiling with gcc

make -j8 REGENIE=1

i7-7700K:       2773 secs (46 min 13 secs)
i5-12600KF:    1424 secs (23 min 44 secs)
i7-13700:       1132 secs (18 min 52 secs)

I created a new build script containing all home computers of that time that I either had or that I knew of, but never got. Build time is 340 secs for my i5-12600KF:

make -j12 SOURCES=src/mame/ti/ti99_4x.cpp,src/mame/ti/ti99_4p.cpp,src/mame/ti/ti99_8.cpp,src/mame/ti/geneve.cpp,src/mame/ti/ti99_2.cpp,src/mame/ti/cc40.cpp,src/mame/commodore/c64.cpp,src/mame/amiga/amiga.cpp,src/mame/commodore/vic20.cpp,src/mame/commodore/pet.cpp,src/mame/commodore/c128.cpp,src/mame/sinclair/zx.cpp,src/mame/sinclair/spectrum.cpp,src/mame/trs/coco3.cpp,src/mame/trs/dragon.cpp,src/mame/trs/trs80.cpp,src/mame/atari/atarist.cpp,src/mame/atari/a2600.cpp,src/mame/amstrad/amstrad.cpp REGENIE=1

(containing the TI family plus VIC20, C64, C128, PET, Amiga, ZX81, ZX Spectrum, TRS80, Tandy ColorComputer, Dragon 32/64, Atari ST, Atari 2600, and Amstrad 464/664). Contact me if you need ROMs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, mizapf said:

My times on different computers:

Compiling with gcc

make -j8 REGENIE=1

i7-7700K:       2773 secs (46 min 13 secs)
i5-12600KF:    1424 secs (23 min 44 secs)
i7-13700:       1132 secs (18 min 52 secs)

I created a new build script containing all home computers of that time that I either had or that I knew of, but never got. Build time is 340 secs for my i5-12600KF:

make -j12 OVERRIDE_CC=$GCC OVERRIDE_CXX=$GPP SOURCES=src/mame/ti/ti99_4x.cpp,src/mame/ti/ti99_4p.cpp,src/mame/ti/ti99_8.cpp,src/mame/ti/geneve.cpp,src/mame/ti/ti99_2.cpp,src/mame/ti/cc40.cpp,src/mame/commodore/c64.cpp,src/mame/amiga/amiga.cpp,src/mame/commodore/vic20.cpp,src/mame/commodore/pet.cpp,src/mame/commodore/c128.cpp,src/mame/sinclair/zx.cpp,src/mame/sinclair/spectrum.cpp,src/mame/trs/coco3.cpp,src/mame/trs/dragon.cpp,src/mame/trs/trs80.cpp,src/mame/atari/atarist.cpp,src/mame/atari/a2600.cpp,src/mame/amstrad/amstrad.cpp REGENIE=1

(containing the TI family plus VIC20, C64, C128, PET, Amiga, ZX81, ZX Spectrum, TRS80, Tandy ColorComputer, Dragon 32/64, Atari ST, Atari 2600, and Amstrad 464/664). Contact me if you need ROMs.

So 22 mins is really decent.  Incredible what this Apple Silicon is capable of with so little power consumption/heat.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2023 at 6:32 AM, mizapf said:

Hmm, still a bit slow. What do you get for a simple

./mame ti99_4a -bench 30

./mame geneve -bench 30

(i.e. without any peripherals attached)?

Just ran this with the geneve option and got 188% with the PI 5 and the OS that comes with it.

• Like 1

Sounds good. Let the normal Geneve boot and check the emulation speed after a minute of running. If it's still > 99%, the RPi 5 is again a good deal faster than the 4 and can finally run the Geneve emulation. The hardest test would then be the TI-99/8 with -hexbus hx5102 option.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mizapf said:

Sounds good. Let the normal Geneve boot and check the emulation speed after a minute of running. If it's still > 99%, the RPi 5 is again a good deal faster than the 4 and can finally run the Geneve emulation. The hardest test would then be the TI-99/8 with -hexbus hx5102 option.

mame geneve -bench 60   192%

mame geneve -bench 120 193%

tipi@rpigeneve:~/Desktop/MAME $ mame genmod -bios 2.00 -colorbus busmouse -peb:slot5 speech -peb:slot3 horizon -peb:slot4 speech -peb:slot2 memex -peb:slot8 hfdc -peb:slot8:hfdc:h1 generic -peb:slot8:hfdc:h2 generic -peb:slot8:hfdc:h3 generic -peb:slot8:hfdc:f3 525dd -peb:slot8:hfdc:f4 525dd -hard1 Bootdisk1.hd -hard2 Bootdisk2.hd -hard3 Bootdisk3.hd -flop1 dsdd1.dsk -flop2 dsdd2.dsk -flop3 dsdd3.dsk -flop4 dsdd4.dsk -peb:slot7 tipi -conn rpi.localhost -bench 60
/bin/bash: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US.UTF-8)
/bin/bash: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US.UTF-8)
V3D 7.1 not supported by this version of Mesa.
libGL error: failed to create dri screen
libGL error: failed to load driver: vc4
ALSA lib seq.c:935:(snd_seq_open_noupdate) Unknown SEQ default
Average speed: 154.38% (59 seconds)

5 hours ago, mizapf said:

No, I meant, please try it without -bench to get the real performance.

Gotcha,

mame genmod -bios 2.00 -colorbus busmouse -peb:slot5 speech -peb:slot3 horizon -peb:slot4 speech -peb:slot2 memex -peb:slot8 hfdc -peb:slot8:hfdc:h1 generic -peb:slot8:hfdc:h2 generic -peb:slot8:hfdc:h3 generic -peb:slot8:hfdc:f3 525dd -peb:slot8:hfdc:f4 525dd -hard1 Bootdisk1.hd -hard2 Bootdisk2.hd -hard3 Bootdisk3.hd -flop1 dsdd1.dsk -flop2 dsdd2.dsk -flop3 dsdd3.dsk -flop4 dsdd4.dsk -peb:slot7 tipi -conn rpi.localhost

This gives 47.5% with pretty much everything loaded with a 1024*768 screen in mame.ini

With an 800x600, I get 68.4%.

This is *way* too slow. We had such an issue with the Raspi5 some weeks ago already, so this looks like something odd. On the Raspi4 I get a 78% with graphics.

Could you please try it with a reduced setup (including just the boot drive)?

mame geneve -bios 2.00 -peb:slot5 speech -peb:slot8 hfdc -peb:slot8:hfdc:h1 generic -hard1 Bootdisk1.hd

BTW, did you notice that you have two speech synthesizers in your setup thicket?

Please also compare the respective performances for these three options:

-video soft

-video opengl

-video bgfx

with a 1024x768 window

@mizapf

OK

No video options at 1024x768 62.77%

Option with -video soft at 75.96%

Option with -video opengl at 83.51%

Option with -video bgfx at 63.00%

On another note, all testing has been done with v .261.

In the process of using GDM2K to copy files around, I have been getting MAME lockups.  It seems to be less of an issue if I use the MDOS copy command, but VERY frequently with GDM2K so it is triggering something unexpected.  It does not matter if I am trying to copy from a HRD, HDS drive, or from a TIPI connection.

• Like 3

Copying between DSK1 and DSK2 with GDM2K did not cause any problems; I tried it 6 times in a row, from 2 to 1, from 1 to 2 etc., without lockups.

I suppose HRD is Horizon; I'll try that next. How do I have to configure it for use in GeneveOS? (CRU base, Phoenix base, Split mode, Phoenix split) I guess I also need a REMAP.

I have the HRD's setup  as:

CRU 1600

Phoenix CRU Base OFF

SW2 Hideswitch OFF

JP4 Split Mode - Geneve Mode

JP2 Phoenix Split - Off

I also have a second HRD that would be at CRU 1400.  I have tried eliminating one of the HFRD's just in case there was an issue with 2 present.

As far as the Machine Configuration for the HRD's, I have them setup as below.  I have tried changing circuit count and memory circuit type to 512 but that did not resolve the problem either.

I have Memory Circuit count - 32

Memory circuit type - 128Kx8

DSR memory size  - 8 KiB

Optional 32Kib Memory Off

RAMBO support - Off

The drives are formatted with GenCFG provided below.

In AUTOEXEC, I have the statements:

LATDRIVE = P

SCSMAP 39

SCSMAP 58

ASSIGN J=SCS3:

ASSIGN N=SCS5:

GENCFG.zip

29 minutes ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

Phoenix mode should not be used with GeneveOS.  It is a deprecated hardware option that is not supported. 

I updated that field.  I had it set to OFF, just did not write the word.

37 minutes ago, 9640News said:

I updated that field.  I had it set to OFF, just did not write the word.

Sounds good.   I noticed you set JP4 to "Geneve".  I am not sure what the right setting is here, as this jumper may be limited to Phoenix operation.  I looked at the construction guide information for JP4, and must confess I don't quite understand the intent nor configuration options as documented.  The guide will need to be updated to reflect the current state for the Geneve.

9 hours ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

Sounds good.   I noticed you set JP4 to "Geneve".  I am not sure what the right setting is here, as this jumper may be limited to Phoenix operation.  I looked at the construction guide information for JP4, and must confess I don't quite understand the intent nor configuration options as documented.  The guide will need to be updated to reflect the current state for the Geneve.

This is how I interpreted it:

https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/c28177f9060a1449096a7e3c30d55c4d54b923ad/src/devices/bus/ti99/peb/horizon.cpp

Maybe you can have a quick glance at the top comments, see whether I got it right. At least it is the base on which I emulate the HRD.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2024 at 2:00 PM, Captain Cozmos said:

I had no idea that this thing played Dragon's Lair.

Many moons ago I asked about it and Kurt Coder said it would never be implemented because it was an active franchise so I wonder what changed.

non sequitor? did you mean to post this to the mame thread?

I understood his comment in the way that there is an arcade version of Dragon's Lair, and that one is what Kurt Coder referred to as not possible to implement. In our case, though, MAME has nothing to do with the implementation of DL by Tursi.

• Like 2