IGNORED

New MAME release

mizapf

1 hour ago, Gary from OPA said:

and how in the hell to i disable that horrible disk drive sound, it is hurting my ears!

Sorry to hear you have trouble with that sound. Let me assure you that I put LOTS of efforts in time into that subproject to make it somewhat believable, and I still believe it to be one of the most valuable additions to MAME. For more detail, see the explanations on https://www.ninerpedia.org/wiki/MAME_Floppy_sound_emulation.

The sound in UAE was one of the features that made me interested in emulation, and was one of my dreams to realize in MAME.

That said, I know the sounds are not liked by everyone, but frankly speaking, what I do have some trouble with is when people treat it like some nuisance or imposition when it just suffices to ask whether there is a way to turn the sounds off or to lower their volume.

You can turn down the volume in the Sliders menu.

(Sorry if I react a bit harshly, but you're not the first one, and I seem not getting used to that over time.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, mizapf said:

Sorry to hear you have trouble with that sound. Let me assure you that I put LOTS of efforts in time into that subproject to make it somewhat believable, and I still believe it to be one of the most valuable additions to MAME. For more detail, see the explanations on https://www.ninerpedia.org/wiki/MAME_Floppy_sound_emulation.

The sound in UAE was one of the features that made me interested in emulation, and was one of my dreams to realize in MAME.

That said, I know the sounds are not liked by everyone, but frankly speaking, what I do have some trouble with is when people treat it like some nuisance or imposition when it just suffices to ask whether there is a way to turn the sounds off or to lower their volume.

You can turn down the volume in the Sliders menu.

(Sorry if I react a bit harshly, but you're not the first one, and I seem not getting used to that over time.)

sorry, i am noobie when it comes to using mame. -- and i not used to the old-school floppy sound, been a while, all my real hardware ti99 systems have much quieter 5.25" and 3.5" floppy drives, i stopped using the large full-height original floppy drives from ti for a while now. -- plus the tiny tin speakers on my laptop are horrible, can't even listen to youtube on them.

so how do i access the sliders menu? to adjust the volume?

Open the MAME OSD menu (the main control window of MAME) by pressing TAB in "UI controls enabled" mode. This mode is toggled by the ScrlLock key; please refer to https://www.ninermame.org/using/keyboard/uimodekey for more information if you want to use another key for that.

In the OSD menu there is the selection "Slider controls", the channel is named "flopsndout" (for each drive). I actually have it at 60%. Note that since there is no visible feedback in the emulation, those sounds may be the only indication that "something is happening".

23 minutes ago, mizapf said:

Open the MAME OSD menu (the main control window of MAME) by pressing TAB in "UI controls enabled" mode. This mode is toggled by the ScrlLock key; please refer to https://www.ninermame.org/using/keyboard/uimodekey for more information if you want to use another key for that.

In the OSD menu there is the selection "Slider controls", the channel is named "flopsndout" (for each drive). I actually have it at 60%. Note that since there is no visible feedback in the emulation, those sounds may be the only indication that "something is happening".

What no blinking LEDs for the PEB cards. Just joking. Maybe someday. Also does the floppy sound change to a hard drive sound? If it's different device being accessed. Still haven't figured out how to get speech working even tho the speech roms are there. I guess that a command option in the batch startup.

33 minutes ago, Gary from OPA said:

What no blinking LEDs for the PEB cards. Just joking. Maybe someday.

Yes, "artwork" is an existing MAME feature (for Arcade machines), so this may be feasible.

Also does the floppy sound change to a hard drive sound? If it's different device being accessed.

I considered this indeed, but it's a bit more difficult to get good sound samples. Only the old Seagate drives are loud enough to deliver good sounds.

Still haven't figured out how to get speech working even tho the speech roms are there. I guess that a command option in the batch startup.

In MAME, the Speech Synthesizer is modeled as a PEB card (device "speech"). Some time, I'll add a sidecar Speech Synthesizer.

mame ti99_4a -ioport peb -ioport:peb:slot4 speech ...

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, mizapf said:

In MAME, the Speech Synthesizer is modeled as a PEB card (device "speech"). Some time, I'll add a sidecar Speech Synthesizer.

mame ti99_4a -ioport peb -ioport:peb:slot4 speech ...

Is there a option for the Corcomp triple tech card to add clock and I guess that would not include speech so it would be two slots on the PEB?