IGNORED

Diamond GOS 3.0

walter_J64bit

51 minutes ago, Peri Noid said:

Ok, so it's a bit different banking scheme and therefore it's not possible te reuse the same hardware without changes in control logic. I'll just keep using the universal carts I have. 

The SDX cartridge uses a GAL for the logic, it should be possible by changing the ROM and an updated GAL together, unfortunately the GAL is not socketed.

7 minutes ago, BillC said:

The SDX cartridge uses a GAL for the logic, it should be possible by changing the ROM and an updated GAL together, unfortunately the GAL is not socketed.

No socket is not a problem, I can desolder GAL and install a socket. But I'd need to have a proper GAL code, which I don't have. That's a problem.

@classics / AtariMax had done a v2.0 ROM for the AtariMax 128KB model as effectively the bank scheme is the same with different port access and so the $D5xx access can be remapped it's model, however I have read on this or the other 3.0 thread that this can then make it conflict with other models if used in a pass-through way. However if you are using it stand-alone then that would be an option.

11 hours ago, Wrathchild said:

@classics / AtariMax had done a v2.0 ROM for the AtariMax 128KB model as effectively the bank scheme is the same with different port access and so the $D5xx access can be remapped it's model, however I have read on this or the other 3.0 thread that this can then make it conflict with other models if used in a pass-through way. However if you are using it stand-alone then that would be an option.

There would be a conflict if using it with a stock SDX cartridge or an Incognito/U1MB/intSDX modified computer, but the bitsofthepast Super SDX cartridge changed the $D5XX banking logic to match that of the SIDE2 cartridge. 

This means the Diamond GOS ROM on an ICD SDX board with original GAL should work concurrently with a Super SDX board, this should also apply to a multicart version of Diamond GOS.

Correction: The original Diamond GOS ROM probably wouldn't work since the GAL logic doesn't match the ROM, but a ROM modified to use the SDX banking logic would. This modified Diamond GOS ROM is likely that used in the Atarimax Maxflash cartridge multicart images.

Edited by BillC

• 7 months later...

Ok, so I have the Super SDX cartridge from @Dropcheck, currently upgraded to 4.8, planning to upgrade it top 4.9 soon, and I have the reproduction Diamond 3.0 from @kenames99 with his upgraded GAL logic. So will I be able to use these concurrently?

Also, assuming they will work together, do I plug Diamond cart into the pass-thru of SDX cart, or vice-versa? (I made a custom case by modifying my original The!Cart case I had on hand as I had moved The!Cart into an original 800 style cart shell I also modified)

I'll also planning on using my MyIDE II CF card drive with both, currently sitting atop the SSDX cart and working well with FJC's boot driver for SDX & MyIDE II.  Has anyone yet tried a MyIDE II or SiDE 2/3 or other SD card cart drive with Diamond 3.0 cart and SDX cart all together yet? Has anyone else made labels for Diamond GOS 3.0 carts yet?

My 1200XL currently isn't working, so I haven't been able to test any of this on my own yet, so I just thought I'd ask. I'll have my 1200XL running again in the near future and have been thinking about getting it all working together. @kenames99's cart PCB for Diamond is so short I cut The!Cart cart case nearly in half to make it work, and it's completely hidden inside the 1200XL's cart slot! Of course if I have to plug Diamond into SDX, then all three carts will be showing...

20210916_150239.jpg

20210916_150310.jpg

Edited by Gunstar

56 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

As for SIDE3: it will emulate the Diamond cart type anyway, so the physical Diamond cart would be redundant in that scenario.

Do you have any hint how to combine Diamond cart AND U1MB+Side3 mounted Diamond GOS floppies? I wonder, if it's possible...

25 minutes ago, Peri Noid said:

Do you have any hint how to combine Diamond cart AND U1MB+Side3 mounted Diamond GOS floppies? I wonder, if it's possible...

I see no reason why not, with hard disk partitions thrown in. Mount disk media as required in the loader, mount the cartridge, and everything should work.

• 1 year later...
On 2/10/2021 at 1:50 AM, MrFish said:

Here's the banking information for both, at least as it applies to current emulation standards.

+---------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Type 10: Diamond 64 KB cartridge                                          |

The cartridge has 8 banks mapped to $A000-$BFFF. An access to $D5D7 selects
 bank 0, $D5D6 - bank 1, etc. An access to $D5D8-$D5DF disables
 the cartridge.

| Type 11: SpartaDOS X 64 KB cartridge                                      |

The cartridge has 8 banks mapped to $A000-$BFFF. It also contains an
 additional cartridge slot which allows to plug a second cartridge in.
 An access to $D5E7 selects bank 0, $D5E6 - bank 1, etc. down to $D5E0. An
 access to $D5E8-$D5EB disables the SDX cartridge and enables the second
 cartridge. An access to $D5EC-$D5EF disables both cartridges.
 Accesses to all addresses on page D5 always reaches the second cartridge,
 even if it is disabled by SpartaDOS or if the SpartaDOS cartridge itself is
 enabled.

D5 is 1101 0101

E5 is 1110 0101

So maybe we only need to switch 5'th and 6'th bit in GAL (decoding logic)? I mean A4 and A5.

Edited by xangel
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I made some analytics over "Diamond GOS 2 for MaxFlash 1Mbit.atr"

It is in TXT file in attachment (sorry but in polish).

Next what I did was modifying Diamond GOS 3 to work with MaxFlash 8Mbit. File in attachment.

It works on real Atari with MaxFlash 8Mbit and Atari ST mouse.

Now can anyone tell me few things?

Why I have vertical barred picture, when I saw clean colorful pictures in this thread?

How to force it to work with SIO2SD? Because I can't load anything from SIO2SD.

Now I'm trying to build real hardware. It will be modified Sparta DOS X 64k cart.

As in the description above, I should modify address decoder to decode $D5Dx instead of $D5Ex. It should be done by swithing A4 and A5 lines.

Then it should switches off cart when A3 is 1 (decoding $D5D8-$D5DF).

Schematic is attached.

It works (before modification) as SpartaDOSX 4.22 (64k), but it doesn't work (after modofication) with DiamondGOS3.rom

Any suggestions?

DiamondGOS logic.png

Diamond GEOS 3 (MaxFlash 8Mbit image).atr AD D0 D5 na AD 00 D5.txt

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, xangel said:

Why I have vertical barred picture, when I saw clean colorful pictures in this thread?

I have them too so it's not only your problem. I think, it's the matter of PAL vs NTSC or NTSC artefacting, I should say (I'm running on PAL since my only NTSC machine is an 1200XL and it doesn't accept AVG nor Side3 that I can use to run the cart image).

How to force it to work with SIO2SD? Because I can't load anything from SIO2SD.

Works for me without any additional action. Just works.

Now I'm trying to build real hardware. It will be modified Sparta DOS X 64k cart.

Maybe it would be easier to adopt it to Jatari Cart by @jhusak? Or the one by @gienekk?

Could you submit your converted ROM file only, not in a form of an ATR image, please?

Edited by Peri Noid

I've tested it on Altirra: if You choose machine type: NTSC and turn on NTSC artifacting, You will have green picture similar to Atari ST.

If You switch to PAL and turn on NTSC artifacting, You will have purple :)

Floppy works OK. I've tested DOS II+ ATR images on SIO2SD.

Also attached Diamond GOS3 Utilities.ATR works fine, but it disappears after reset.

Diamond GOS3 Utilities.ATR