IGNORED

Virtual Jaguar Loader 3D GUI Front End for Virtual Jaguar

WAVE 1 GAMES

I would like to announce that I will be working on a 3D front end for the Atari Jaguar emulator Virtual Jaguar for Windows. This will be an add on to the existing program that will allow you to select your game with a connected controller and do things such as view a 3D representation of the game boxes and cartridges. You will also load 3D cartridges into a 3D console. You will also have the option to load and view instruction manuals for every supported game. (these will be .pdf files) This will work through file association within windows and the program I am creating will run in the background as a type of easy access full featured launcher. I have already tested this theory and it WILL work. Please note that only 41 games are currently compatible with VJ so not all games will be included in this 3D GUI. In the future as Shamus improves his compatibility issues to support more games I will provide update patches to include those games within the 3D GUI. I do not know what I am going to call this front end yet and I am open to suggestions! This image depicts what the game selection screen may look like in a 3D GUI for Virtual Jaguar

post-45896-0-67757800-1483498415_thumb.png

Edited by Jeffrey_Bones
  • Like 4

Yep, I'm sure this will be released.

There's some proof of concept for you buddy. This is me launching Virtual jaguar and loading D2K within the existing map screen of my DKC fan game. This is the windows environment not the Jaguar. I am more than familiar with how to do things here. This will be a piece of cake and it's not the first time somebody has made a front end for an emulator. Do ignore the slow down when D2K launches, this is only because Bandicam, VJ and DKC3D are all running in the background plus I am downloading a movie.

As soon as I stopped Bandicam it went back to full speed. This was just to show you Madman

• Like 1

I'm not really familiar with hyperspin but from what I can gather in the videos I just watched, this idea is essentially the same I guess. except you will be able to view a virtual box, cart and console in the form of 3D textured models. Also I want the ability to grab the game's instruction manual on the fly, let's say you are trying to figure out just what am I doing in Aircars (I still can't figure that one out) you may want to hit a hotkey button and pull up the Aircars manual on the fly in digital form. Similar to what the Wii U does now with their digital game manuals. Using 3D models to represent the game boxes and console doesn't really add anything to functionality, this is more aesthetics but I still want to do it that way. I agree with Sporadic this needs to be a thing where users can input their own box art and instructions as most front ends allow you to do that anyway. I have some other ideas for this front end too but I don't want to get ahead of myself. Functionality is the most important thing right now

I will say Hyperspin, which is a multi emulator frontend, does a lot of the stuff already. I've got it set up on my MAME machine in the garage to produce a display similar to this video -

The ability to link to manuals during game would be good, but as you are running on a PC you could always tab between the manual and VJ. I'm not trying to be negative - I'm just trying to see it's unique selling point.

• Like 2

I'm not trying to be negative - I'm just trying to see it's unique selling point.

Considering the state of Jag emulation right now, I'd say that anything new to the Jag emulation scene is its own unique selling point.

• Like 2

After all the feedback to this project I have received I have decided to call my front end Virtual Jaguar Loader or VJL for short. I would also like to add that Chris Schlosser, the same guy who has helped me with my other projects (Neon Centipedez, DKC2 3D, Retropia 2) is doing the 3D models for the Jaguar controller, console and cartridge. I will share the results on here as soon as he updates me on his progress of the models!

post-45896-0-30317200-1483618364_thumb.png

PS: anybody know how to get admin to change the name of this thread to Virtual Jaguar Loader 3D front end for VJ?

Edited by Jeffrey_Bones
  • Like 1

So I decided to start working on the 3D models for the boxes. I haven't quite finished setting up the actual GUI yet and I am still toying with how I want it to look and feel. BUT I wanted to see how the boxes would look so I just stuck them in my DKC 3D fan game as I will be using the same 3D engine for the GUI. Then I decided to have some fun and I swapped out Diddy Kong for Bentley Bear! I really enjoyed that so I am sharing it here just for the hell of it! :)

• Like 2