IGNORED

Atari Corps multil-ine BBS

As many of you know here I am playing with BBS software to get something older unique up and running on an ST. I was looking at running Michtron 3.0 - Found a cover disk with a bit of a readme file, but wondered if anyone knew if a complete 3.0 manual is around anywhere.

3.0 is about the only one I Think I have a chance of getting work correct with a UDS device.  OH will not work on a TT030 btw.. :) terrible use for a TT anyway.. but its the machine I have setup at the moment.

James

Going from memory here, but there were a couple BBS Express! ST boards that ran

on a TT030. Don't think it supported the extended serial ports/speeds but it did work.

Star...something BBS had one setup? Argh, can't quite remember the name, not up

now anyways.... :(

PS Okay, just went back and checked the docs. BBS Express! ST does state that it

runs on a TT030.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DarkLord said:

Going from memory here, but there were a couple BBS Express! ST boards that ran

on a TT030. Don't think it supported the extended serial ports/speeds but it did work.

Star...something BBS had one setup? Argh, can't quite remember the name, not up

now anyways.... :(

PS Okay, just went back and checked the docs. BBS Express! ST does state that it

runs on a TT030.

Well, I think he meant Michtron won't run on a TT.

SFHQ is currently running on my TT until I get around to moving it (had it on the Falcon at one time too) and I'm pretty sure the Brewing Academy BBS was/is running on a TT as well.

Well for the MichTron, it would seem to run, but then if I exited I would get multi bombs. Now those are just the demo BBS systems that you get with the disk/program. I am hoping to get a good copy of the Manual through Tillek ;) and then get a MichTron 3.0 board up with at least 2 lines. Now MichTron does have its own scripting language, and though articles etc in old forums, magazines, newsgroups, you do hear of multiline MichTron with F mail and other networking, also games, I have not yet identified any multi line/player games, but I would be willing to try if we could get one running. The TT030 has 4 potential serial ports. 9600 baud is fine for a BBS. Two more Lantronics devices, a Spare Router/Gateway to my network, and I could have it up and running. 

I am currently looking around forums to see if anyone did get a Michtron working with Lantronics devices through telnet. So far I have not found anything. I am pretty sure I read an article that it was working on a MegaSTE multi line, but all at 9600 baud, which I think was the max the program supported in its last write.

James

Edited by Bikerbob

10 hours ago, Tillek said:

Well, I think he meant Michtron won't run on a TT.

SFHQ is currently running on my TT until I get around to moving it (had it on the Falcon at one time too) and I'm pretty sure the Brewing Academy BBS was/is running on a TT as well.

Oh, my bad. I thought he was looking for software that would run on the TT. Apologies.  :(

48 minutes ago, DarkLord said:

Oh, my bad. I thought he was looking for software that would run on the TT. Apologies.  :(

Nope all good. Just dont want to run the same software as the #1 Atari BBS in KY ;)  Who knows.. in the end with all the trials and tribs.. maybe I end up with BBS EXPRESS or Ratsoft. 

Hey Tillek did you hear anything more from the Ratsoft Author? you would have thought with Covid he would have had more time to finish up what he wanted to do to get it native to Telnet.

James

1 hour ago, Bikerbob said:

Nope all good. Just don't want to run the same software as the #1 Atari BBS in KY ;)  Who knows.. in the end with all the trials and tribs.. maybe I end up with BBS EXPRESS or Ratsoft. 

LOL!

If you do end up with Express, I'll help you any way I can and I know Tillek would help you with Ratsoft.

1 hour ago, Bikerbob said:

Hey Tillek did you hear anything more from the Ratsoft Author? you would have thought with Covid he would have had more time to finish up what he wanted to do to get it native to Telnet.

James

Huh, is Ratsoft still being supported by it's author? Did not know that. Good thing I tune in here every now and then.  :)

21 minutes ago, DarkLord said:

LOL!

If you do end up with Express, I'll help you any way I can and I know Tillek would help you with Ratsoft.

Huh, is Ratsoft still being supported by it's author? Did not know that. Good thing I tune in here every now and then.  :)

Well thats the question now ... I found him about a year ago.. he was very interested to hear there still were some people interested in his software and he had been kicking around the idea of trying to make it TELNET native, said it really was not that hard with all the ethernet devices out there now and the tcp/ip stack. I said.. YES PLeASE.. and told Tillek about it. I know he was in contact with him also..   BUT I think things went dark after that initial interest.

James

If I recall, the guy who wrote TripLink was here in Sactown. I can't remember if that was multi-line or not. I remember Ratsoft getting popular right before the Falcon030 was released... But most of the boards around here ran on whichever BBS software had "Keep" in its name.

Did the late Curt Vendel have the files for Atari Corp's BBS? Wouldn't that be a trip to get that onto Telnet...

Setup my stfm520(4mb) and MichTron ran like a dream on it. It would seem menus and inputs are timing sensitive. 

On the TT it was a challenge at best. 

So Tillek, looking forward to 3.0 manual which I understand has a manual for the MCL - which will allow me to customize the clubhouse as much as I want. If I get it in the MegaSTE then for shoots and giggles I will get 2 lines running.

James

• 7 months later...

I know it's been awhile but I've been having a conversation with Mike from that DC group and

they have an archival site setup (I went back through this message thread and didn't find it

posted already):

http://deadmike.com/DCS/

Looks like there's a ton of stuff there. Not had a chance to look it all over yet.

Hat's off to Mike for his assistance!

image001.thumb.jpg.753f08f9acc60319befcc12f544e7b78.jpg

Edited by DarkLord
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tillek said:

Uh... were you using a Ouija Board?

Umm...label me dense but I'm missing something here...

Oh...or did you mean because of the "deadmike" part? Okay,

I think I gotcha now...  :)

Edited by DarkLord
Clarification...

9 hours ago, DarkLord said:

More information from Mike - this is an advertisement for DC-Port,

from back in the day.

My big takeaway from this is, it didn't just work with Michtron BBS v3.0,

but Forem ST "Elite" as well...

1594506557_DC-Port-Ad.thumb.png.99b9cd77096d6cd89627364a4219e43b.png

Yeah, but I want to know if Forum ST Elite was a real thing that was released, or was it just a "planned but never saw the light of day".

Tired of starting a hunt for things that never existed.

• 1 year later...
23 minutes ago, Tillek said:

Yes... but apparently so do you?

No thats just an image I found online.. only thing I have been able to find.

If you dont have time to scan yours - can you send it to me and I will scan it and send it back to you??

I would really love to learn how to play with this MCL - there are several samples of cool  things done with it, but I dont really understand what I am looking at. 

Would assume there must be a runtime editor software for the MCL - all I have is a compiler that came with the BBS - I would assume there is a way to run it and debug it before you compile.

Thanks

James

Edited by Bikerbob

I thought I was able to confirm with DarkLord that there was nothing on my disk that wasn't on the one he had.

Let me see what I can do about the manual.  I really don't want to send it out (this thing is in good condition) so the challenge was how to scan it without ruining it.