IGNORED

Any retailers selling new Wii U?

Just got the last pro controller in the valley. It was marked $37, but rang up at $25.

When I bought the five pro controllers yesterday they were all marked at $50. I asked them to price check one before I pillaged the case. They said if it rang up for $25 that's what I'll get them for but they do not price match their other stores. So even if they don't appear to be on sale at your nearby store ask them to run a price check. It might ring up at $25.

Went to gamestop today. Even used was 199 for 8gb and 250 for 32gb. He said in 1 year maybe they will come down. The new Zelda is coming out for WII U. So demand is still high he said.

Nintendo sells refurbished units on their website. 32GB for $200. You can pick white or black, they come with Nintendo Land, they have a 1 year warranty, and they look brand new.

Edited by Hyper_Eye

But switch is 300 so only 100 less not much.

Yeah but it has a significant library (especially if you count the Wii library) and some of the best games are Nintendo Selects titles. So for $300 I got a console that looks brand new with a 1-year manufacturer warranty and 5 games. To compare there are only a couple games for the Switch in total and they are all $50 or $60. The most anticipated of those is also available for the Wii U and there is barely a difference between the two versions. Walmart is also selling peripherals at clearance prices so I was able to buy pro controllers for $25 a piece. So I would contend that the difference between them is more significant than $100.

Will the console be $100 or less in a year? Maybe. It's Nintendo though and right now Nintendo stuff is retaining value better than anything else in the industry. To me the gamble wasn't worth it when I could pull the trigger on the Nintendo refurb with a full year warranty. That's just my take on it. If the price drops I won't feel like I lost because I'm enjoying the console right now. Besides I don't know how long the online component will be available so I'd like to enjoy it while it's there.

Edited by Hyper_Eye

The appeal of the switch is the the tiny carts that look like sd cards or ds cards. WII and WII U CDs scratch and break after a while. And oroginl (2006 WII) is 80 dollars at gamestop now. And there used to be 50 dollar units once I think. But compared to its 250 it originally was 80 is not bad. So WII U will eventually be cheap too hopefully. The tablet controller is expensive so for that reason it might never be. But in 1 year after switch becomes popular the WII U might go down in price.

Isn't 007 the one a few months ago that was telling people that if they wanted a deal on a new Wii U, just wait until March?

New Wii U's largely dried up several months ago, so I wouldn't suggest holding off again now in the hope that used Wii U prices will drastically slide in a few months time. They might, but I bet they don't at Nintendo's online store and GameStop is very much a lottery where condition is concerned.

You might be able to get a cheap Wii U from there before they stop carrying the hardware in the future, but in who knows what condition. $200 from Nintendo.com for like-new hardware, a 12 month warranty just like new hardware carries, and all the 1st party accouterments included that you'd of gotten buying it off the shelf new doesn't strike me as such a terrible deal considering the Wii U's library of exclusives it opens up.

And now is certainly the time to be buying accessories and many games like the Nintendo Selects lineup. We're at a point where besides a couple of used games that have climbed in price and perhaps a half dozen releases that still go for close to original MSRP new like Mario Kart 8 and Super Mario Maker, game prices will likely never be cheaper for the games one is likely to be interested in.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

And now is certainly the time to be buying accessories and many games like the Nintendo Selects lineup. We're at a point where besides a couple of used games that have climbed in price and perhaps a half dozen releases that still go for close to original MSRP new like Mario Kart 8 and Super Mario Maker, game prices will likely never be cheaper for the games one is likely to be interested in.

We're at kind of a weird point with the games, at least- while they'll certainly be price drops as Gamestops & the like clear out the obsolete system, the question remains if anything good will be around for those drops. I say get your must-haves now while they can found, and watch anything else very closely for drops, or signs the supply is about to dry up.

This is just speculation of course, but I have a feeling we won't be seeing massive price drops on the secondhand market for the Wii U. It was Nintendo's least performing dedicated console (sans-Virtual Boy), and as it's been stated, there's a lot of great software for it. You might be waiting around a long time if you're trying to find one for $100. $150 may even be pushing it. Anyone potentially interested in one should buy one for the $200 from Nintendo. There is more than enough software to justify it.

• Like 1

We're at kind of a weird point with the games, at least- while they'll certainly be price drops as Gamestops & the like clear out the obsolete system, the question remains if anything good will be around for those drops. I say get your must-haves now while they can found, and watch anything else very closely for drops, or signs the supply is about to dry up.

Speaking of games, is it just me or is Twilight Princess HD getting impossible to find?

Nintendo's online store has Captain Toad with Amiibo for $20 and Star Fox Zero for $30. Pretty good prices for these.

I'd grab Star Fox, but have spent about $150-$200 in Wii U stuff the past few weeks. Doubt this one will be hard to get cheap in the future, given the reviews and how easily it can still be found new right now despite the Wii U's demise. But I also bet $30 new will be a tough price to top by any significant amount.

Edited by Atariboy

Nintendo's online store has Captain Toad with Amiibo for $20 and Star Fox Zero for $30. Pretty good prices for these.

I'd grab Star Fox, but have spent about $150-$200 in Wii U stuff the past few weeks. Doubt this one will be hard to get cheap in the future, given the reviews and how easily it can still be found new right now despite the Wii U's demise. But I also bet $30 new will be a tough price to top by any significant amount.

Yeah those aren't bad, but you also have shipping costs. I wonder if local stores will drop their prices?

Speaking of games, is it just me or is Twilight Princess HD getting impossible to find?

I got the last copy my local Best Buy had, extremely beat up packaging due to their four pronged security tag. It looks as though someone had attempted to wrestle it off. Anyway I had the clerk open the package and the game and Amiibo inside were immaculate. $60. Do not expect a price drop on this title. As a late release, it won't have sold as much as others that got the Selects treatment. Funny how Breath of the Wild came out almost exactly one year after Twilight Princess. Another thing to consider as well, with Nintendo moving towards Switch carts, they may as well have shut down the disc pressing plant.

So many physical disc "Nindie" titles out for the Wii-U are bargain basement prices right now, new sealed. I suspect a few of these may well become hidden gems after existing stock dries up.

Makes me all the more glad I bothered going to a Wal-Mart a few hours after their Thanksgiving evening sale started last November, since they still had Twilight Princess with Amiibo in stock for $25.

I almost didn't bother, picturing them disappearing 90 seconds after the sale started. :)

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1