IGNORED

Any retailers selling new Wii U?

I haven't seen BOTW Wii-U version anywhere. Not that it matters as have been enjoying the game on the Switch, and I heard they removed all the dual screen features for the retail release to make both versions nearly identical. Wouldn't want any features exclusive to the Wii-U, would we?

Dual screen placing the + menu on the Gamepad would make playing the game a hindrance. Sometimes you need to swap armor, weapons, or take food / elixors in the heat of battle, and bumbling around in a gamepad menu whilst action takes place on screen would be a great way to get killed. Pausing the action to swap inventory is necessary IMO.

Perhaps the Shieka map - menu would have been a better fit, but as you navigate the map with the same controls you use to move Link, so a lot of stuff would need to be redesigned to accommodate any dual screen usage, which would detract from the Switch port. I think there is very little in the way of exclusive features in either version aside from a slight graphical boost while playing docked on the Switch tablet.

So it is fair that while most of development was on Wii-U, it was co-designed with both consoles in mind.

I haven't seen BOTW Wii-U version anywhere. Not that it matters as have been enjoying the game on the Switch, and I heard they removed all the dual screen features for the retail release to make both versions nearly identical. Wouldn't want any features exclusive to the Wii-U, would we?

Dual screen placing the + menu on the Gamepad would make playing the game a hindrance. Sometimes you need to swap armor, weapons, or take food / elixors in the heat of battle, and bumbling around in a gamepad menu whilst action takes place on screen would be a great way to get killed. Pausing the action to swap inventory is necessary IMO.

Perhaps the Shieka map - menu would have been a better fit, but as you navigate the map with the same controls you use to move Link, so a lot of stuff would need to be redesigned to accommodate any dual screen usage, which would detract from the Switch port. I think there is very little in the way of exclusive features in either version aside from a slight graphical boost while playing docked on the Switch tablet.

So it is fair that while most of development was on Wii-U, it was co-designed with both consoles in mind.

When you tame and name a horse, it would be nice to have the gamepad touch screen keyboard available.

In Wind Waker HD they allow you to do all of those things on the pad without the game pausing. If you need to you can pause and proceed to use the gamepad. At the very least the slate is an in-game gamepad. I have gotten over the gamepad thing and I'm playing with the pro controller. The game has been fantastic so far.

• Like 1

In Wind Waker HD they allow you to do all of those things on the pad without the game pausing. If you need to you can pause and proceed to use the gamepad. At the very least the slate is an in-game gamepad. I have gotten over the gamepad thing and I'm playing with the pro controller. The game has been fantastic so far.

Yeah the Sheika slate is clearly an in-game Gamepad. Kinda like the tablet Chase McCain used in Lego City Undercover. They could have integrated the Gamepad menu in the Wii-U port but said content was removed when development went to the Switch. It would have made a nice bonus for buyers of the Wii-U version. One other thing to consider, having an HUD on the gamepad screen would have taken GPU resources away from the main screen, and BOTW is very likely the most graphically impressive game in the entire Wii-U library.

One other thing to consider, having an HUD on the gamepad screen would have taken GPU resources away from the main screen, and BOTW is very likely the most graphically impressive game in the entire Wii-U library.

Yeah I have noticed that if you hit the home button and then close the menu the game spends a few seconds loading before it resumes. It seems like they partially suspend and store memory contents to disk when the Wii U menu is opened. There could be other games that do the same thing but this is the only one I've seen do that. That's a pretty good sign that they are utilizing every bit of the resources available to them.

• Like 1

I never played that one. I should probably get it before it goes ass up in cost on the secondhand market. If it is open world BOTW style gameplay, I would probably enjoy it.

HUGE open world. I think I logged 90 hours into it and didn't do any of the post-game stuff. If you grab it (I think it's on clearance now) make sure you download all four of the data packs from Nintendo as they'll make the load times non-existent.

• Like 1

Don't think I'll get a deal locally on Super Mario Maker. Down to 1 copy left locally I noticed, and I imagine quite possibly won't be restocked. :(

Hopefully this one with its large print run (Nearly 4 million units and the 7th best-selling Wii U release) and companion 3DS conversion, will end up one of the cheaper 1st party Wii U releases used if I never see a deal for it new online. Especially if the Switch gets a Super Mario Maker 2 with all the same features carried forward and with many additions added to the formula, it's hard to imagine the Wii U version having lasting value like many 1st party Nintendo releases have.

I just can't bring myself to spend $60 on this one at this late date a year and a half after release and with the Wii U on the fast track out, especially when I'm not sure how much fun I'll have creating my own courses or checking out other people's creations that can't even be strung together into a cohesive experience akin to a traditional Mario platformer.

That price seemed fine for something like Breath of the Wild that was all but guaranteed to be worth every penny (Only my 4th $60 Wii U game, I think), but $30 is more like what I'd want to pay for such an experimental release as this one. that may or may not hook me.

Edited by Atariboy

That is my biggest complaint when it comes to buying a Nintendo console. For the most part first party games are what you are going to buy and most of them just don't ever come down in price. I can buy Playstation and Xbox exclusives for $15-20 after a couple of years but Super Mario Bros. U, a launch game, is still $60 at the console's eol. It's ridiculous.

• Like 1

That is my biggest complaint when it comes to buying a Nintendo console. For the most part first party games are what you are going to buy and most of them just don't ever come down in price. I can buy Playstation and Xbox exclusives for $15-20 after a couple of years but Super Mario Bros. U, a launch game, is still $60 at the console's eol. It's ridiculous.

To be fair, NSMB U now comes with Super Luigi U, and Super Luigi has gotten stupid on the used market. That considered, $60 isn't that bad. But, I do see your point.

HUGE open world. I think I logged 90 hours into it and didn't do any of the post-game stuff. If you grab it (I think it's on clearance now) make sure you download all four of the data packs from Nintendo as they'll make the load times non-existent.

If they still have it at Target/Best Buy next time I make my rounds, I'm buying it...

If they still have it at Target/Best Buy next time I make my rounds, I'm buying it...

Wal-Mart, if they still have it, marked it down to $30. Two weeks ago when I was looking for Zelda on the Wii U, both of my local Wal-Marts still had copies of it.

Wal-Mart, if they still have it, marked it down to $30. Two weeks ago when I was looking for Zelda on the Wii U, both of my local Wal-Marts still had copies of it.

I still have the collectors edition sitting around untouched.

Honestly, I think my main deterrent to getting a Switch is my backlog.

Seems like people are unloading Wii and Wii U games as things I haven't seen for awhile are back in our local shop. Looks like now is the time to grab anything that I overlooked.

Any opinions about Pinkmin 3 and Donkey Kong tropical Freeze? I think $7 for Zombie Wii U is a given. Not a big loss if I hate it.

I was surprised to see the re-release of Bayonetta 2 was at $40. Did the re-release get a low print run? I have my copy with the original included, and isn't going anywhere unless I wind up in a pine box. Even then, my wife may just shove all of my crap into crates, not wanting to deal with it.

Seems like people are unloading Wii and Wii U games as things I haven't seen for awhile are back in our local shop. Looks like now is the time to grab anything that I overlooked.

Any opinions about Pinkmin 3 and Donkey Kong tropical Freeze? I think $7 for Zombie Wii U is a given. Not a big loss if I hate it.

I was surprised to see the re-release of Bayonetta 2 was at $40. Did the re-release get a low print run? I have my copy with the original included, and isn't going anywhere unless I wind up in a pine box. Even then, my wife may just shove all of my crap into crates, not wanting to deal with it.

DK is a great game. A nice nod to the originals. Some parts are really hard though. I've been stuck on an Octopus level for months now.

Well I picked up the last copy of Xenoblade X my local Best Buy had: $56.99 Huge markdown, came to $62 with tax included. :P

DK tropical Freeze is an excellent game. It plays better than DK returns for Wii somehow. Pikmin 3 is also great, but you have to watch the time. Sometimes it is sad when little Pikmin don't make it back to the ship. I got DK TF for free with Platinum promotion and Zelda WW with Mario Kart 8 promotion, Pikmin 3 I picked up before the supply dried up completely until they released the selects edition. If you plan on picking up either game, get the Nintendo Selects before the supply dries up.

Make sure you download all four of the data packs for Xenoblade X, it makes the load times nearly nil. They take hours to download and install though since they're huge.

I shall heed your sage words next time I fire the console up. Might as well rip the shrink wrap off. No plans on selling it.

Tropical Freeze and Pikmin 3 are great. Definitely check them out.

Bayonetta 2 (single disc version) should still be $30 if you can find it. Estarland has them in stock for that price, NIB. Used copies for $25. I'm not sure if the print run was low, but if you're paying more than $30, you're probably paying too much. Link: https://www.estarland.com/NintendoWiiU.cat..product.50030.html

*edit:

Gamestop apparently has them NIB for $25: http://www.gamestop.com/wii-u/games/bayonetta-2/128293.

I don't see any new copies on Best Buy's website, or at Amazon.

Edited by Austin

I shall heed your sage words next time I fire the console up. Might as well rip the shrink wrap off. No plans on selling it.

Yeah, I need to install them now even if I don't plan on playing it just yet. We don't know for how long the servers will be up, and I wouldn't want an inferior disc only experience without the updates or download files to reduce load times.