IGNORED

Urquan Masters Port?

leech

I know I posted over on atari-forums.com about a Falcon (maybe ST?) port of this, but now that I think more on it... wouldn't this be very epic of a port to the Jaguar?

Since Urquan Masters is a source port of the 3DO version, and it can use it's assets, this may even be a good candidate for the JagCD, which sadly had so very few games released for it.

Anyone have any inkling of how hard this would be? Definitely could be one of the more popular ports for the system.

http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

Edited by leech
  • Like 1

That was my favorite 3DO game! I say "was" because I had to get rid of most of my video game collection and I had the "Panasonic FZ-10 3DO" system. I have a version for PC. Playing it on a PC isn't the same.

I would definitely purchase a Jag cart of this if it were made (I say cart because I don't have a CD drive :( ).

Edited by pboland

Yeah, I'm not sure if it'd fit on a Cart, at least the 3DO version, since it has some fmv cut scenes if I recall. The original DOS version probably would, but then I think Urquan Masters has the option for either. So maybe a Cart for those that don't have the CD drive?

We just need to find someone to work on the port (my skills are no where near as good as I'd like them to be!)

I keep meaning to put this game first, I've always wanted to play through it but never did. There's a UQM port for Raspberry Pi, which I think would be a fine way to play it, with a d-pad controller but no need for a spinning CD inside an aging 3DO.

I don't know what the difficulty of putting it into JagCD might be, but at least there are a zillion other ways to play it.

Yeah, there is even a port for the N900, which I have. Still the best phone/mini-computer I've ever seen. Was thinking yesterday how much I hated that Nokia killed off Maemo/MeeGo and went with Windows phone....

Main reason I was thinking JagCD port was due to it having so few games for it, but that it should be perfectly capable of this game and source is available.

The content file alone is 11.5MB. There's no way this is fitting on a Jag cart.

That depends on what all is in the content file. If it's mostly raw graphics, they could probably be compressed down, or resampled to get the size down.

You really can't beat Star Control 2 on a decent PC of the time with a Gravis UltraSound 16. The sound was sampled to take advantage of the Gravis in such a way that the sound quality was crystal clear. It used some inherent hardware in the Gravis (I don't know???) that basically made it perfect. If I remember, I think it loaded sound patches so it played it similar to how it would be if you used General Midi on a Roland (but not General Midi).

With every single other sound card, it just used the normal Sound Blaster... which I suspect is what the 3DO and everything else would be too. I only had a Gravis for a short period of time, but the music and sound was... insanely clear.

• Like 1

Star Control 2 on the PC with a standard sound blaster model card, just played all the music using a mod tracker player. I know this, because it was possible on the PC version to rip the mod files back in the day and play them out separately. So it didn't use any FM on the sound cards and was all sampled audio through the sound cards DAC. First PC game I played and remember doing this exclusively. I assumed at the time it was done this way to make porting the game easier between PC and Amiga. The 3DO version uses actual redbook audio for the music and sound samples from there.