IGNORED

No More CRTs

toddtmw

Fiar point, but from where I am sitting, you make it sound like you are upset with the poster (me) rather than the author of the article. Like I said, the information you are sharing is informative, but the attiude is off-putting. I would just like to see people try to be a littl emore civil to each other. We're all here because we share a common interest. Some of us have more information than others, I would love to see people share information without putting others down.

Thank you for the insight you have shared regarding this topic.

-Todd

• Like 1

I don't get the negativity myself, really. But, there are always those who get a bit cranky at things. I envy whoever has all those spare CRTs for arcades in those pictures. Must depend on where you live. Here in Ohio, it's becoming a wasteland. People are either multi-cading cabs like crazy or the actual collectors and parts are moving out it seems. I live in east central Ohio or whatever this section is called and collectors and enthusiasts like me are up the creek without a paddle anymore.

I don't see why calling the article clickbait was such an offense to anyone except the author of the article. No negativity (at least from me) was intended to the OP. If anything I think the words levied against those who called ot clickbait were the harsh ones.

Fiar point, but from where I am sitting, you make it sound like you are upset with the poster (me) rather than the author of the article. Like I said, the information you are sharing is informative, but the attiude is off-putting. I would just like to see people try to be a littl emore civil to each other. We're all here because we share a common interest. Some of us have more information than others, I would love to see people share information without putting others down.

Thank you for the insight you have shared regarding this topic.

-Todd

It's the Internet, don't set your standards too high.

• Like 1

If there's demand for them - considering how much the arcade is making a comeback, someone may do a run of CRTs to fill a demand. But it will take some time for that to happen.

Sorry, there isn't a snowball's chance in hell that's going to happen. You would need 1993 levels of NEW crt only arcade cabinet sales for that to happen. This isn't like a hobbyist getting a run of PCBs printed. The amount of money required for getting a CRT factory setup would be astronomical. The machinery, the personnel and training, individual component availability, engineering.... ain't gonna happen unless by some miracle a billionaire arcade philanthropist falls out of the sky and decides to take it on as some sort of charitable venture. Low volume isn't gonna cut it here.

It would make more sense for someone to offer flat panel retrofit kits (which have been around for years now) more widely available using modern components. It's way easier to have a piece of mother glass chopped up into 19" 4:3 sized chunks.

How does one go about fixing the burn-in visible in those CRTs shown in those three photos?

You don't. That would require safely removing the neck, somehow being able to clean out the old phosphor coating. Redoing the coating, and putting the tube back together.

Edited by keepdreamin

I didn't even know that they were still making new CRTs. I'm guessing once the supply of new CRTs run out people will just switch to used CRTs. Are there any issues adapting television CRTs to vertical arcade games or vector games? I don't see the supply of used television CRTs running out for a very long time.

Anyone here ever worked with Hydrofluoric Acid (HF)? The guy in the video was NOT wearing nearly enough PPE for that stuff...

I took 2 years of High School Chemistry and took a Chemistry course in college, and worked with Hydrofluoric Acid even at high industrial concentrations

PPE he is using is quite normal for Hydrofluoric Acid as most people usually have lab-coat, long pants, enclosed shoes, gloves and glasses on and having access to eyewash machine

Also having access to very good ventilation like a fume hood

Hydrofluoric Acid does burn though gloves and clothing but usually it happens over days and of course you would never want it on your skin or eyes and would remove any clothing that was in contact and would wash down your skin immediatly

Edited by enoofu

Out here (AZ) people are buying some really really nice late model CRT TV's for $1 at goodwill and taking them out to the desert and shooting them. So much now that the BLM had prohibited TV's from being used for target practice.

My son found a nice 32" Sony Vega flat Screen for $1 that he uses regularly. Thing weighs a ton.

I had a 1994 Mitsubishi 40 that weighed over 300lbs. Finally got rid of it a few years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

True but monitor technology is improving steadily. I think the next step is to introduce RGB interface boards for these flat screen arcade monitors that allow you to do gradient scanlining and filtering to allow you to create a more old school look. Once they get the kinks out of OLED and make then more affordable plus the addition of Quantum Dot technology we may see flat screen monitors that not only meet but exceed CRT standards at some point in the near future.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

True but monitor technology is improving steadily. I think the next step is to introduce RGB interface boards for these flat screen arcade monitors that allow you to do gradient scanlining and filtering to allow you to create a more old school look. Once they get the kinks out of OLED and make then more affordable plus the addition of Quantum Dot technology we may see flat screen monitors that not only meet but exceed CRT standards at some point in the near future.

This.

I can't imagine it being too long before we're able to accurately emulate CRT's. Sure, there's differences between CRT and LCD/LED/OLED/etc right now. But as time goes on, and tech gets better, the ability to emulate the qualities of a CRT will also get better.

And yes, the article is click-baitey in my opinion. After looking through the other articles on the site, it looks like the same generic, boring, vague journalism you can find on 10,000 other websites. Yawn.

• 4 weeks later...

I've seen some amazing CRT effects done in various emulators. Some even simulate not only the scan lines, color bleeding, artifacting, but also simulate the curvature. If they took the best of breed and put it in hardware, I think you would have something that everyone except the biggest CRT diehards would be happy with.

Not just for games, but SD video content too. SD content almost always looks terrible on an HD TV. If it was filtered through CRT filters, I suspect it would look better.

Anyway, can't you just decase a $5 thrift store TV and use that?

Except for the rare exception, consumer TVs are not directly compatible with arcade game video feed. Trust me, the arcade community would be all over this if it were that easy. They have (as I think I stated somewhere earlier in this thread) found where you can swap in a tube from a consumer TV to an arcade monitor chasis but that has its own compatibility requirements and also isn't an operation for the faint of heart.

Except for the rare exception, consumer TVs are not directly compatible with arcade game video feed. Trust me, the arcade community would be all over this if it were that easy. They have (as I think I stated somewhere earlier in this thread) found where you can swap in a tube from a consumer TV to an arcade monitor chasis but that has its own compatibility requirements and also isn't an operation for the faint of heart.

maybe someone can make an adaptor from the video feed to RF or AV

maybe someone can make an adaptor from the video feed to RF or AV

Quite a lot of adapters and supers guns that do that purpose

It'd likely have to be custom for each arcade cab. Or programmable/universal, which would make it more expensive. And it's a low-volume niche item to begin with. But nice idea. A converter.

Not really as most arcade boards follow the same standards for broadcast

Generally can be done cheaply

sigh. Another one of _these_ articles.

Yes, poorly researched, poorly structured.

But also, you must understand that the problems presented here are only TECHNICAL problems to be solved. Have any of you who are whining actually keeping up with the advances in CRT emulation through shader code? It's developing at an insanely fast rate (I know, I'm right in the middle of it), and within the next decade, we will be able to completely mimic a wide range of tube, phosphor and mask characteristics, which will allow for the intended look to be preserved. It WILL reach the point where we can select a given monitor model and have the support code to simulate the desired characteristics.

-Thom

• Like 1

• 2 months later...