IGNORED

Is RETROPIE the end of real Atari gaming?

alortegac

I don't mind when new technology is used to replace old one, but only if it is done properly and professionally. Certainly not the case of Raspberry Pie and related. Atari 2600 is designed to display 15 kHz non interlaced video. Raspberry Pie does not allow that. That pretty much translates it into the same category as any generic mobile device or computer that can do exactly the same. Mimic Atari 2600 not properly not professionally. Please do not argue with use of external video converters - the properly built system would never ever require such thing.

Emulation was my gateway into the hobby... starting with C64S in the early 90s, followed with MAME, Stella, etc. The idea behind RetroPie is nothing new, it's just a more convenient package than has been available in the past.

There will always be people like most the folks here who prefer the original hardware, and even more who don't care quite so much about a 100% authentic experience. The more options available, the better, IMO.

Yet another thread to ignore - never belonged here in the first place.

Have fun with your RetroPie's all! Know for a fact I'll be playing REAL hardware looooooooooooong after your silly shit has burnt up and you've forgotten how to reconfigure it. Assuming you haven't ditched it in disgust quickly after using of course. ;)

Yet another thread to ignore - never belonged here in the first place.

Have fun with your RetroPie's all! Know for a fact I'll be playing REAL hardware looooooooooooong after your silly shit has burnt up and you've forgotten how to reconfigure it. Assuming you haven't ditched it in disgust quickly after using of course. ;)

You are doing a fantastic job ignoring apparently :P

It's just emulation. It is not an end to actual collecting my any stretch of the imagination. I don't agree with this being sold though...not only illegal but immoral. It's free and anyone can set that up. I have set up a few of these but when I sell them I am charging for the hardware, not the software. I have one configured with RetroPie and it is great actually. It is a convenient fix, portable and it gives me a sense that I have some other way to continue to play games should my old hardware die on me. I am not using it however for a replacement. Just a backup :) Nothing beats having the original goods ;)

• Like 2

RetroPie on an R-Pi is nowhere near a premium experience. IMHO all it does is turn people away from emulation.

Sorry, I don't agree with you there. That's like saying affordable cars turn people away from car ownership. Of course a Honda Civic isn't an E-Class.

The Raspberry Pi has only helped fuel the popularity of emulation. Due to it's size and price, there's more projects for emulator setups than I've ever seen. Middle of the road vanilla tech sites are running articles on how to set up a retro gaming center. For example: http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/raspberry-pi-retro-game-guide/

I don't ever remember the same level of public visibility for setting up a dedicated X86 rig. Seeing how a Pi setup only costs you as much as a few trips to a local fast food joint, it makes sense.

Even highly visible price speculating shelf decorators are getting their hands on Pis stuffed in cart cases. Of course it's not running the latest up to the minute cycle accurate versions of emulators, Dolphin isn't going to run, no PS2 etc.. but it'll play through pretty much everything else. That's all the vast majority of people want. You're average mid to late 30's person who just wants to run through SNES games they remember, isn't going to care the core is a port of some SNES9x revision., let alone even worry about it isn't the latest and greatest update to Higan. They just want to play some DKC and Metroid.

• Like 4

RetroPie on an R-Pi is nowhere near a premium experience. IMHO all it does is turn people away from emulation.

I disagree. It got me back into emulation in a big way. I'm actually doing more emulation on my computer because of what I can do on Retropie.

• Like 3

Retropie will let me play games and systems Ill never own.

I can switch from system to system in the blink of an eye.

No dirty cart connectors or RF or composite video or region problems. No boxes of carts to search through.

It also has HDMI output for compatibility with modern TV.

There will always be purist and collectors but I like to play the games (instead of collecting boxes and cartridges) and I have so many systems and games in a small package, what not to like?

• Like 3