IGNORED

Is RETROPIE the end of real Atari gaming?

alortegac

Well if folks like the R-Pi and it fits their gaming needs, well then, who am I to argue? That it has introduced classics to newcomers and satisfies niche couldn't make me happier.

When someone wants a premium experience I hope they take the time and put together an x86 powerhouse, that's all..

I've thought about getting a Pi but I've been very satisfied with the emulation on the Wii. Having said that, no it will never replace real hardware. I did a video recently where I was happy to see that the wiimote actually worked well for paddle games but using a real paddle on real hardware is still superior IMO. I find emulation to be a great alternative to retro gaming but it will never be a replacement.

I personally don't understand what is so appealing about original hardware vs emulators. I mean I still have some original stuff, but it wears down over time. If it's floppy/cassette based, good luck if your disks/tapes still work after 30 years. The keyboards were generally awful to use. Even cartridges may not work properly on old consoles (see NES). Plus they take up extra space I don't really have room for, extra cables everywhere. If you are a true purist then you will of course need a CRT TV for them. That takes even more space. All for some vague warm feeling about having the original logo on the box or whatever it is-- something I can't say I experience. My reaction is more like "Gah! I can't believe I actually used to use this thing! :)"

I find emulators nice and compact, you never have to blow in the cartridges or experience bad disk sectors in a game that used to work. Many can emulate the look of a CRT and input lag is not something I've ever noticed. Plus they offer lots of conveniences and improvements over the original hardware. Different strokes I suppose.

• Like 4

I admit I haven't paid much attention to RetroPie, but it seems like it might exist in too much of a niche to be the end of anything. If I understand it right, the appeal is that it's any easy to set up, all-in-one emulation solution, so the market would be casual game players. Most retrogamers, including pretty much everyone on this forum, either prefers to use real hardware or already has an emulation set up they use and like. I wonder how many casual gamers would seek out RetroPie. It's not something they can just pick up at a store like a Flashback or a classics collection for a modern console. The games aren't right there on the Nintendo store for them to download easily for a small charge. Unless they get one of these pre-loaded set ups from eBay, and with the legal questions around those I wonder how long they will even be available, there's still the matter of loading and setting up the emulator then finding and loading ROMs. Not a big deal for most people reading this, but not something anyone who just wants to play a couple of the games they loved years ago is likely to want to mess with.

The way I see it, RetroPie is just another emulator. It's not even going to be the end of existing standalone emulators, much less the end of "real" Atari gaming.

Edited by KaeruYojimbo
  • Like 3

I love my Raspberry Pi, and Retropie, and while I love how it allows me to play games I've never played before, sometimes I think I get more fun setting it up to my liking, tinkering with it and all that.

I still have my 7800, 2600, 5200, XE computer, and Coleco ADAM, and I'll continue to support homebrewers as I can afford to.

The biggest plus of an emulated system is playing prototypes that the average person would never ever had the opportunity to play, let alone acquire.

• Like 3

The biggest plus of an emulated system is playing prototypes that the average person would never ever had the opportunity to play, let alone acquire.

True - I was playing Bound High for Virtual Boy on my RetroPie recently. It was never officially released. Too bad, as it's a very fun game, that really shows off the VB 3D effect.

• Like 1

And trying out new homebrews.

For all the convenience emulation offers (portability, cost, no cartridges taking up every inch of free space in your house), there's a certain sexiness to playing on real hardware. I can tell people I have an emulator and 700 games on my computer and they don't care. The second they see the 2600 though, they can't wait to go through my collection of half that many carts and play.

Edited by KaeruYojimbo
  • Like 1

For all the convenience emulation offers (portability, cost, no cartridges taking up every inch of free space in your house), there's a certain sexiness to playing on real hardware. I can tell people I have an emulator and 700 games on my computer and they don't care. The second they see the 2600 though, they can't wait to go through my collection of half that many carts and play.

I constantly wonder about how to gussy-up and present an emulation collection so that generates ooohhhs and aahhhhs. I have a few things in mind for our next electronics party not more than 90 days away.

"PC" is so boring. I think the PC aspect of it has to be removed or changed. Because when I substitute "custom-configured hardware and magic software" in place of "PC + windows" there is more interest.

---

One thing is that having had gone to Toys'R'Us or Venture to get new games was super exciting. An experience not comparable to downloading roms via cablemodem.

Edited by Keatah

"PC" is so boring. I think the PC aspect of it has to be removed or changed. Because when I substitute "custom-configured hardware and magic software" in place of "PC + windows" there is more interest.

I kind of see the NES Mini as an example of this. Quality NES emulation has been around for years. ROMs are easy to find. Still, the average person isn't interested. But package a relatively small collection of games into an adorable tiny NES and stores can't keep them on the shelves.

• Like 1

I constantly wonder about how to gussy-up and present an emulation collection so that generates ooohhhs and aahhhhs. I have a few things in mind for our next electronics party not more than 90 days away.

---

One thing is that having had gone to Toys'R'Us or Venture to get new games was super exciting. An experience not comparable to downloading roms via cablemodem.

Retropie hooked up to a 50" TV with an Xarcade tankstick gets a lot of oohs and aaahs.

• Like 3

So full of shit. Dream Arcades owns a warehouse, has been an LLC since 2003, has longstanding strategic alliances for tooling, has been featured in Forbes, on NBC, Playboy, and many other big ticket news outfits. And they have a retail location!

So why do they need our help in tooling up for a mini-bartop? Do they want their future customers to bear the risk? Fuck that. Maybe they aren't as good as they'd like you to believe? They can't tool up by themselves?

These cheap things are just crap !

For portable emulation, you should get a real PSP, it's really a neat machine for, and there are plenty of tutorials to help you build it.