IGNORED

AT Games Intellivision Flashback 2 coming this fall..........

OK, I will NOT go into detail at this time, but positive momentum on something from AtGames that's Intellivision-related that could be a whole lot better than previously anticipated is now underway. If things work out, look for an official announcement in a few months and availability towards the end of the year. To be clear, I'm just posting this update as a courtesy because of the previous all-too-early leaks and then stalls with the progress, so please take what I'm saying for what it is at this point in time, i.e., confirmation that there's hope again for a great new Intellivision product in 2017. Thanks.

• Like 10

That's good news.

I would be fine with a re-run of the 2014 version if it had Imagic and Activision games on board, and/or an SD card slot.

Even sweeter would be some features like we've come to expect from this kind of thing: HDMI interface, and wireless controllers. Wouldn't it be rad to have wireless Intellivision controllers?

• Like 4

Awesome news. And regarding Imagic: it would be great to have Dracula. Always wanted to play that.

It's kind of a cool, fairly ambitious game for its time, but definitely not super playable in my opinion. I did make a point of mentioning it in both "Vintage Games" and "Vintage Game Consoles," however, so take that for what you will.

Unfortunately, unlike Activision stuff, I'm not sure how much access AtGames would have to Imagic stuff (you can see that, or the lack thereof, in our Atari products). I'd definitely like to see their stuff on there, though.

• Like 2

Good news, whatever it ends up being. :)

What's your threshold for getting this? Personally, I would want at least 10 new games that aren't on the original version, along with fixed Tower of Doom.

Bump 'N' Jump, Burgertime, and Lock 'N' Chase. And Diner would be a nice bonus.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Activision lineup be added now that there's a relationship there, but like other possibilities like the Tron games, I wouldn't consider them prerequisites. But Bump 'N' Jump, Burgertime, and Lock 'N'Chase were the gems of the Intellivision library in my eyes, and their absence was disappointing the first time around.

In a slightly related note, I'd love to see the excellent M-Network 2600 conversion of Bump 'N' Jump join their 2600 Flashback one of these days.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Good news, whatever it ends up being. :)

Bump 'N' Jump, Burgertime, and Lock 'N' Chase. And Diner would be a nice bonus.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Activision lineup be added now that there's a relationship there, but like other possibilities like the Tron games, I wouldn't consider them prerequisites. But Bump 'N' Jump and Burgertime in particular were the gems of the Intellivision library in my eyes and their absence was disappointing the first time around.

I would consider at minimum, BurgerTime a must, since you need certain high profile titles to help sell these things. Of course, in terms of adding more content over the last time, there are a lot of factors that go into it, including availability and financial feasibility.

• Like 2

It's kind of a cool, fairly ambitious game for its time, but definitely not super playable in my opinion. I did make a point of mentioning it in both "Vintage Games" and "Vintage Game Consoles," however, so take that for what you will.

Unfortunately, unlike Activision stuff, I'm not sure how much access AtGames would have to Imagic stuff (you can see that, or the lack thereof, in our Atari products). I'd definitely like to see their stuff on there, though.

They had all six Imagic games on the Colecovision Flashback.

Intellivision Dracula is pretty straightforward.

What happened to the Imagic Intellivision properties that is different than the Imagic Colecovision properties?

Whether right or wrong, the Coleco rights holders asserted rights over the IP for the ColecoVision properties that you saw in the digital and physical ColecoVision AtGames' products. No such claims are necessarily made for any other platforms. As a general rule, just because one game appears in one AtGames product doesn't mean it can appear in any other. And yes, it's a damned mess, but we all know IP is a damned mess, so none of this should be a surprise.

In any case, obviously if the next Intellivision Flashback were to move forward, they'll try to get the best games in there. If x, y, or z is missing, though, it wouldn't necessarily be for lack of trying.

• Like 1

Coleco's assertion of rights over Imagic games made ColecoVision Flashback a slightly more interesting product, but I hate to think they might have trampled over someone else in the process. As we've seen in the "strong-arm" thread, they're not necessarily in the right for having done that kind of thing.

For the Imagic properties (games not aquired by companies like Activision), the problem is Imagic no longer exists. So there is nobody to license the games from. If the game properties were not aquired by others, does that mean they are owned by the Imagic shareholders at the time Imagic disappeared? Someone like River West Brands might simply think that the copyrights are unenforceable.

I always thought that overall the Imagic Intellivision games were overrated. Microsurgeon and Truckin are interesting games and I havent really given Safecracker and Whitewater a fair try.

They should be able to make a deal for the data east games from G-mode. From what I heard from Keith R, Activision wasn't interested. The Dreadnaught Factor and Worm Whomper would have been great additions, considering that much of the Intellivision library is not pickup-and-play.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

I'm also hoping that Loco-Motion will be on an Intellivision Flashback 2 since AtGames now has a history with Konami, then also the Activision and Imagic from Intellivision Rocks!

:cool:

Again, Loco-Motion by Konami would be a nice add-on to an Intellivision Flashback 2...

Edited by TrekkiELO
  • Like 1

Loco-Motion would be neat to see. It's one of the few Mattel/INTV releases that has never seen a compilation release, but AtGames already has a relationship with Konami, so maybe it could happen.

Hopefully Happy Trails will be a possibility as well. Seems a shame to successfully arrange a deal with Activision, but then not be able to fully leverage the license across the Flashback family. So hopefully we'll see Activision properties on whatever they have cooking that's Intellivision related.

Some of the Atarisoft releases don't seem ludicrous to speculate on as well, but since they've had a long-term licensing deal with Atari and the Intellivision Flashback 1 appeared without anything like the Centipede port, I doubt it changes.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

The reasons for developing and releasing games 35 years ago may not be the same as the reasons for wanting to showcase the same games today. By that I mean back in the days everyone desired Atari coin-op games (and eventually Nintendo games) on their home systems which is why Atarisoft was there to offer licensed ports instead of blatant clones which as you know in extreme cases went all the way to court. However today, the IP holders might like to showcase the original versions or the ones they're most proud of, but would be more hesitant to license the use of ports - whether inferior, equal or superior to the original game - for other systems.

Back in 1982 everyone wanted to play arcade games at home, the arcade games were where the latest technology was. However, arcade games were designed to frustrate players and take your quarters. And once you were good at them you were forced to play the lower levels over and over again just to get to challenging levels. Thirty five years ago the home games I played most were those original games designed for home. So for me the lack of arcade conversions is not a big deal.

Arcade conversions do help sell these things because of that nostalgia. To include them on an Intellivision flashback will cost licensing money and that goes for the Tron games as well. So to license the games the extra sales would have to justify the cost. And Intellivision games like Defender, Pacman, and Qbert would have double licenses compared to Burgertime, Bumpnjump, and Commando [and maybe Dig Dug]. The sales of Intellivision flashbacks might not be big enough. Does anyone know how Intellevision/Coleco Vision/Atari flashback sales compared in 2014/15. My guess is Atari flashbacks outsold Intellivision five to one.

Edited by mr_me

Does anyone know how Intellevision/Coleco Vision/Atari flashback sales compared in 2014/15. My guess is Atari flashbacks outsold Intellivision five to one.

It wasn't quite that bad, but they definitely sold less than the usual Atari/Sega stuff. Anything related to Intellivision/ColecoVision in the future will be a bit more targeted in terms of production/sales to account for the lower relative demand. There should still be no problem getting one, however, because we're still talking significant numbers produced.

• Like 2

It wasn't quite that bad, but they definitely sold less than the usual Atari/Sega stuff. Anything related to Intellivision/ColecoVision in the future will be a bit more targeted in terms of production/sales to account for the lower relative demand. There should still be no problem getting one, however, because we're still talking significant numbers produced.

Well that will be good news if when this happens

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just happened to be thinking about this topic today. I assume from the lack of news (and a quick search that I did) that Intellivision Flashback 2 is no longer a consideration for release?

I posted about this a few months back, but there are multiple topics for these things. Nothing for this year. Negotiations about producing something may resume next year.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...