IGNORED

So I Got Lost In the Forest...

I have a very specific memory when I was a kid circa 1982, and my friends and I tried some weed as kids would do..., and then I went straight home. Of course the first thing I do as usual, is start up my Atari, and the game I remember playing was Zaxxon. I felt very uncomfortable because I could feel my long hair brushing against the back of my neck and my shoulders and I was hyper-sensitive to it. :lol: I couldn't get into the game and I couldn't wait for the effects to wear off.. but yeah that's funny.

I LOVE smoking weed while playing games. In fact I do that all the time! Especially love getting baked while I do my radio show and play games on the air. Finally a thread like this lol.

My favorite games to play while stoned lately:

Super Mario Bros 1 & 2 (3 kinda bored me while stoned)

Cadash (Arcade)

Fast RMX (Switch)

Street Fighter 2:Championship Edition(Arcade)

Bubble Bobble

I can land the plane in Top Gun for NES while stoned. Better than drinking definitely.

• Like 5

I LOVE smoking weed while playing games. In fact I do that all the time! Especially love getting baked while I do my radio show and play games on the air. Finally a thread like this lol.

My favorite games to play while stoned lately:

Super Mario Bros 1 & 2 (3 kinda bored me while stoned)

Cadash (Arcade)

Fast RMX (Switch)

Street Fighter 2:Championship Edition(Arcade)

Bubble Bobble

I can land the plane in Top Gun for NES while stoned. Better than drinking definitely.

I was hoping you would chime in!!

Sent from my non beer holding hand.

It's completely Legal where I am at now too(California). So I don't feel any shame in smoking before a gaming sesh,and I don't care if someone thinks what I am doing is wrong. Screw those squares!

There is nothing bad about smoking weed,in fact it's much more healthier than drinking. To each their own though.

• Like 2

I also hate that any expression of dissent in this arena just leads to bashing.

I'm not a big fan of smoking weed or doing any other kinds of recreational drugs. I think that whatever problems that drugs supposedly help you with could be better handled with therapy.

Having said that, there's nothing wrong with discussing marijuana on here, considering that it's now legal in a number of states for medical and/or recreational use. There's also no need to jump into the thread and complain about it. If you don't think the topic is appropriate to discuss on here, then that's your right. You can exercise that right by ignoring the topic completely instead of posting in here to express your displeasure. Complaining serves no purpose other than to open yourself up to "bashing", so stop playing the martyr.

EDIT: On the other hand, such a topic might be served better being discussed in the Off Topic forum.

• Like 3

I've been sober this whole week actually and still feeling good. I don't over smoke.I do have periods of sobriety where I concentrate solely on my work.

What I don't get is why drinking is more acceptable than pot when it is clearly more detrimental to one's health. I've had alcoholic friends who have passed away from over drinking,but I never

heard of anybody dying from weed.

Asides from that I enjoy a good smoke before a good game of Gauntlet lol. Nothing wrong with that. Atari was actually built on weed. If anybody cared to listen to my interviews with HSW and Nolan Bushnell they mention even Atari HQ had a room where they specifically smoked pot and exchanged ideas. I feel this topic belongs here. The taboo needs to be broken.

• Like 5

There is nothing bad about smoking weed,in fact it's much more healthier than drinking. To each their own though.

Back when I was a stoner I asked my shrink how much brain damage pot does since at the time it was helping with my anxiety and I was curious about if the trade off was worth it. He laughed and answered with something like,"The pills I am giving you are causing way more permanent mind altering effects than pot ever could!"

• Like 5

Let's have a political thread about marijuana. We can make a poll! Then we'll talk about the SCOTUS nominee!

On second thought, let's not.

I haven't smoked pot in donkeys years. I used to all day every day. I wasn't into video games at the point, however. What I used to love to do stoned is go on long drives and listen to music. After I gave it up I feared that certain music would lose it's meaning for me (Pink Floyd, I'm looking at you). The good news is that none of those interests waned. In fact, I picked up video games as an avid hobby.

• Like 1

I think that one pun early on was pretty on the nose. If getting high on weed still made that guy insufferable playing games, it wasn't the games, it was him, and he probably was lucky you were stoned or it could have gotten ugly had your mind been sharper. The games are fine as long as you don't have some underlying burnout that helped expose. I know i've had burnout which is why I've been parting off so much crap so I can just focus on one thing(or two) at a time at most so I can actually enjoy it once more...and no amount of pot would fix that even if I were into that junk.

...also ripping on brittney spears in how she looks now? She's still hot. I know it's fun to dogpile on her after she went penguin shave head crazy nuts but still. You want aged badly look at a lohan.

I think that one pun early on was pretty on the nose. If getting high on weed still made that guy insufferable playing games, it wasn't the games, it was him, and he probably was lucky you were stoned or it could have gotten ugly had your mind been sharper. The games are fine as long as you don't have some underlying burnout that helped expose. I know i've had burnout which is why I've been parting off so much crap so I can just focus on one thing(or two) at a time at most so I can actually enjoy it once more...and no amount of pot would fix that even if I were into that junk.

...also ripping on brittney spears in how she looks now? She's still hot. I know it's fun to dogpile on her after she went penguin shave head crazy nuts but still. You want aged badly look at a lohan.

Lohan is cracked out, Brittany has aged gracefully into MILF territory. It's also the perception too- Brittany was unbalanced after years of no privacy or childhood, also she seems to have a somewhat perverse sense of humor. Lohan has an ugly, entitled personality, abuses people, looks for free drinks in clubs etc.

But what do I know? I'm just done middle aged dude who likes to talk about video games.

So THAT'S the trick...

LOL I can also land the Top Gun plane while drunk! Ok I think you gave me an idea for a new Youtube vid. How to land the Top Gun plane while stoned...

The B and A buttons are for deccelaration and accelaration. Simple. Just follow those instructions closely and you'll land the plane.

I haven't been stoned in almost ten years. I never did a lot to begin with so I don't really miss it. If recreational use was legal where I lived I might do one once in awhile after work if I'm done for the day. I never played games stoned, but I did play Aliens: Colonial Marines fairly drunk and enjoyed it pretty well. When I started playing sober I had a few "....Oh geez...." moments when I started noticing the game's issues and stupid tude moments.

Personal opinion, Have fun, enjoy life...Just don't put yourself or others in danger...

and Nobody should ever have gone to jail for possession of a plant. Also to my knowledge, unless you're talking about mixing it with other things, nobody's ever died due to pot.

Interesting story, although I can't guarantee it's true, is that pot is the reason Britney shaved her head. Rather than just getting the "usual" drug test, the courts were giving her the hair follicle test. Rather than have this on her record, she shaved her head, and the "mental breakdown" angle may (or may not) have been played up for publicity...

I think popping in to note disapproval of drug use commentary does, in fact, serve a very important purpose- it helps establish what is & isn't OK to discuss on a forum. One guy brings up a topic, one guy doesn't like it, the resulting comments let us see where the forum at large stands. Apparently, Atariage is a '420blazeit' kind of place. *shrugs* whatever.

As a complete & utter teetotaler, I am curious- what exactly is the appeal of discussing stoned and/or drunken antics? To me, these kinds of things always have this immature tinge to them- "tee hee, we're so bad & edgy!" At the same time, I'm so far removed from the topic at hand, I feel like I'm superimposing my grade school D.A.R.E. lessons over what is equivalent to discussing high score runs in Galaga. I wouldn't mind some insight, I have no frame of reference for this stuff.

• Like 2

Regarding the OP, I find that nothing sucks the fun out of playing retro games quicker than trying to play them with somebody who you know doesn't give a crap about them and/or doesn't remotely share your enthusiasm for them. That's why, with few exceptions, I strongly prefer to enjoy the hobby in solitude.

An engineer at work got let go a few years ago after a pee test revealed he had been partaking in the witch's lettuce, so it just doesn't seem worth it for me even if it were something I wanted to do. If I have a vice it would be beer--craft ales to be more specific. Even still, I 100% acknowledge that pot is safer than alcohol to use. To me this fact is plainly obvious, and it blows my mind that archaic laws and the fading echoes of reefer madness propaganda are still able to blind some people to reality.

As a complete & utter teetotaler, I am curious- what exactly is the appeal of discussing stoned and/or drunken antics? To me, these kinds of things always have this immature tinge to them- "tee hee, we're so bad & edgy!" At the same time, I'm so far removed from the topic at hand, I feel like I'm superimposing my grade school D.A.R.E. lessons over what is equivalent to discussing high score runs in Galaga. I wouldn't mind some insight, I have no frame of reference for this stuff.

Where do you see "we're so bad and edgy?" I simply see some people relating personal experiences in a light-hearted fashion. So what? I could just as easily express curiosity to a teetotaler, asking why they struggle so much to contain their impulse to be condescending and sanctimonious over things that they are perfectly free to abstain from if they like.

Cue the turn to argumentum ad absurdum - "I just don't see why it's necessary to funnel gallons of vodka and puke all over oneself to enjoy videogames" or "Unless you're sad with your life you should be able to enjoy games just fine without smoking a pillowcase full of hash" as if these scenarios remotely resemble what anybody is talking about.

• Like 4

The only time I actually came close to getting "high" was during building a model building using Testors cement in the red tube when I was younger. My brain wanted to smell more of that stuff but somehow I broke free before getting "addicted" to sniffing that stuff. Then I knew there was a safer alternative, Testors in the blue tube.

I think popping in to note disapproval of drug use commentary does, in fact, serve a very important purpose- it helps establish what is & isn't OK to discuss on a forum. One guy brings up a topic, one guy doesn't like it, the resulting comments let us see where the forum at large stands. Apparently, Atariage is a '420blazeit' kind of place. *shrugs* whatever.

In the movie Half Baked there are scenes where they will go through different kinds of smokers. One of them is the "Enhancement Smoker":

So, the point of the OP discussing playing video games on weed is from the perspective of enhancement smoking. It is hard to explain to non-smokers or people who never been but it is kind of like discussions about if CRT effects enhance the experience of playing games but in this case it is "weed effects".

Concerning the immaturity of the topic, in my offline experience, people react to me being a retro gamer as being as immature if not more than when I was a stoner:"You're a stoner? Me too!" "You're a retro gamer? What are you? Ten years old?"

• Like 1