IGNORED

Ultimate Atari Cart (Electrotrains) PURCHASE Thread

MacRorie

I wanted to mention that there is an error about the Ultimate Cart in the Topics for Newbies thread comparison chart for the MultiCarts and SIO replacements. It says you can load single disk atr's, symbolized by the Yes and (1) in the ATR row under Ultimate Cart, but it does not.

I noticed that too. The UNO Cart can load single disk ATRs but the Ultimate Cart cannot.

I noticed that too. The UNO Cart can load single disk ATRs but the Ultimate Cart cannot.

I noticed its lack of ATR support is mentioned a couple other places, but I think in the end, a lot of people may use the "big downloadable chart" to make a final decision with cluttered memories of the different carts' details. I've read a couple posts of someone surprised when they could not load ATRs with their Ultimate SD cart. I don't know how big of an issue it is, though, with A8 emulation as well as PC/Mac to machine devices available (SIO2PC/USB/SD, etc.), but it could be an unpleasant surprise.

There is a workaround that I have used, though it isn't terribly convenient. You can create an Atarimax cart image that contains ATR files using the Maxflash Studio software. Put the cart image on your Ultimate cart and load it when you boot. Then use the Atarimax menu to select the ATR you want to run. I've used this technique to copy ATR images to floppy disk.

There is a workaround that I have used, though it isn't terribly convenient. You can create an Atarimax cart image that contains ATR files using the Maxflash Studio software. Put the cart image on your Ultimate cart and load it when you boot. Then use the Atarimax menu to select the ATR you want to run. I've used this technique to copy ATR images to floppy disk.

Still, sounds like a useful work-around. When you say "load it when you boot," do you just open the cart image like you would another file or folder on the Ultimate Cart or is there something special to be done when booting to get the AtariMax multicart image to load properly?

Still, sounds like a useful work-around. When you say "load it when you boot," do you just open the cart image like you would another file or folder on the Ultimate Cart or is there something special to be done when booting to get the AtariMax multicart image to load properly?

Yes, just open it like any other cart image. Also, you can put more then one ATR images in the atarimax cart image you build and switch between them with ctrl-shft-numkey. So I would put dos2.0 in the first slot and additional atr's in the following slots. My physical drive was set to drive 2. I would boot dos2.0 from the atarimax menu then use ctrl-shift to switch the images I was going to copy into the drive 1 position. Then just copy D1 to the physical D2. But now I have an Sdrive^2 so I don't have to mess with all that anymore. :)

Yes, just open it like any other cart image. Also, you can put more then one ATR images in the atarimax cart image you build and switch between them with ctrl-shft-numkey. So I would put dos2.0 in the first slot and additional atr's in the following slots. My physical drive was set to drive 2. I would boot dos2.0 from the atarimax menu then use ctrl-shift to switch the images I was going to copy into the drive 1 position. Then just copy D1 to the physical D2. But now I have an Sdrive^2 so I don't have to mess with all that anymore. :)

I just got an SIO2PC, but I skipped the $50 registration/support option, so I may or may not be vexed by the free APE software for a while, since I have not tried it yet. Your work-around may be easier (or not) in the short-term. I've relied on Altirra emulation in the past for ATRs but trying to move to real hardware now.

I wanted to mention that there is an error about the Ultimate Cart in the Topics for Newbies thread comparison chart for the MultiCarts and SIO replacements. It says you can load single disk atr's, symbolized by the Yes and (1) in the ATR row under Ultimate Cart, but it does not.

Corrected, thanks.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks. Apologies for the delay in getting that fixed and thanks to Philsan for fixing it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I received my Ultimate Cart and it is awesome. I tested it out with a few games to see if everything was functioning as expected, and it did a great job. However, when I loaded up the SD Card with a couple hundred games, there is no longer an index. I noticed that the games are “numbered” A - B - C etc. Based on that, is the SD Card limited to 26 games per Card or is there a way to get an entire collection on one card? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I hadn’t noticed any SD Card limitation in the Forums. Wish I hadn’t invested in a 32 gb Card since so little space is taken up. Live and learn I guess.

By the way...

Thank you for a great product!

I received my Ultimate Cart and it is awesome. I tested it out with a few games to see if everything was functioning as expected, and it did a great job. However, when I loaded up the SD Card with a couple hundred games, there is no longer an index. I noticed that the games are “numbered” A - B - C etc. Based on that, is the SD Card limited to 26 games per Card or is there a way to get an entire collection on one card? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I hadn’t noticed any SD Card limitation in the Forums. Wish I hadn’t invested in a 32 gb Card since so little space is taken up. Live and learn I guess.

By the way...

You can have loads of files on the sd card - its good to organise them in subdirectories since the firmware slows down reading very large directories, but you can have way more than 26 in any directory, just use the keyboard commands or joystick to page through them.

If you didn't receive a copy of the instructions for the cart, they can be downloaded from the github site at:

https://github.com/robinhedwards/UltimateCart/blob/master/UltimateCart_UserGuide.pdf

Robin

By the way...

In that stack of papers included with every order, you should find the user manual (it is an exact copy of what is at Robin's original site). However, in reviewing it to answer your question, It does not detail the keystrokes for changing directories, so I will add a paragraph. But, the keys are described at the bottom of the screen.

So, in short, your best bet, of course, is to put them into directories, BUT THIS IS NOT REQUIRED. Just keep scrolling up or down with the arrow keys ;-)

Here they are :

Arrow keys will move you up and down, Left/Right keys will move you UP/Down a directory. Control+Up or Down will move you up or down a page of entries. Shift+Control+Up/Down will move you to the start (up) or the end (down arrow) of the entire list of entries in that directory.

Does this mean that the pre-order Ultimate Carts have all shipped? I'm crossing my fingers in anticipation!

Sorry, no. They are shipping out in order of pre-order. The first 8 either shipped or are shipping tomorrow. The balance will ship on or after 21 Nov.

By the way...

Here's the paragraph I added. Anyone should feel free to comment on its clarity. Thanks!

List Navigation

Whether you choose to organize your files in folder/subdirectories or just pile them all in the root directory, you can navigate through the files in a variety of methods.

Joystick: Up moves you up the list and down, obviously, goes down the list. Fire starts the file/changes to the highlighted subdirectory.

Keyboard: Any associated letter will start the corresponding file/change to the directory. Up arrow will move up the list. Down arrow will move down the list. Once you have reached the bottom/top of the screen, it will scroll to the next page (if one exists). Left arrow will move to the prior directory, if applicable. Control+Up [or Down] Arrow will move up/down to the next page (if applicable). Shift+Control+Up [or Down] Arrow willmove you to the Start/End of the entire list of files.

You can disable the cartridge (using the X key) if you want to boot normally (e.g. to disk) and leave the cartridge plugged in (to avoid wear and tear).

• 1 month later...

My cartridges images I have are in XEX format,can this read XEX files..?

Yes ... but ... I much prefer to use .CAR format images with the Ultimate Cart. This is partially because the file (EXE/COM/XEX) versions of some games differ slightly from their cartridge based counterparts. Mostly, though, I want the Ultimate Cart to *BE* the cartridge that it's emulating.

I would recommend searching out .CAR format files for using on your Ultimate or, alternately, finding .BIN or .ROM format and converting them using the HTML Java based converter tool.

I posted the entirety of my Ultimate Cart files in the other "Ultimate Cartridge Usage" thread. They are separated into folders by file type so that might be a good place to get a start.

Yes, thank you. I was posting from my phone and it's much harder for me to make links this way. :)

I was actually looking for that post a week or two ago to point a friend toward, but I'd forgotten who'd posted the collection and couldn't find it. Very nice curated set, by the way! And most of those aside from the very large ones will work on an UNO Cart as well (which is good for me! :D )