IGNORED

Super Nintendo Classic Edition - SNES Mini thread

Rev

They're far from the real deal. Nub on the directional pad center isn't the same. Buttons triggers feel different and less responsive. Plenty of in depth breakdowns out there that show this. The 2nd gen originals (ones without the engraved logo), are unmatched.

Same company did the switch pro controller i believe and the d-pad there is lacking as well.

They are still high quality, and close enough of a replica that someone who hasn't held a controller in 20 years won't know the difference. I hardly notice any difference in feel during actual gameplay, only that yeah, if I hold controller A and controller B in my hand, I may notice some slight difference in feel. The internals are changed ever so slightly that they are not drop in replacement parts for the vintage controllers. However given the scarcity of these things and the fact that many casuals who pick up Mini consoles probably don't have original hardware laying around, I just don't see a market for classic controller to original console adapters.

You can buy ten packs of silicone membranes for NES and SNES controllers on ebay all day long for cheap. 99% of the time, a deep clean and replacement of worn membranes will make any crusty old worn out controller feel factory fresh.

And lastly, the Dpad on my Switch Pro controller is flawless. I don't see what the effing deal is with the complaints. It's by far the most comfortable modern controller I've ever held.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that things are similar enough where it matters. If you want a proper hands-on comparison, use a NOS controller, not one that's had 25 years of wear and tear (I did this and the feeling is nearly identical, apart from the matte finish of the Classic controllers)..

And lastly, the Dpad on my Switch Pro controller is flawless. I don't see what the effing deal is with the complaints. It's by far the most comfortable modern controller I've ever held.

Agreed. The Switch Pro Controller d-pad is excellent and the controller as a whole might even be the best I have used these last few generations.

• Like 1

We've been working on an adapter to Use the nes classic/snes classic controllers on actual original consoles. How popular would this be?

I mean you could use New high quality controllers with your old consoles.

I love everything about this idea. It'd be nice if they doubled as extension cords, but extensions are cheap so maybe it doesn't need to.

I bought an SNES at my local Gamestop on the 11th when they were in stock online (called ahead and they had several). I've been poking at it some, and the controller quality is outstanding. At least as good as the first-gen 8Bitdo controllers, but even with the longer cable the cables are short. Still not sure what Nintendo is thinking.

It's currently plugged into the HDMI port of my PC monitor. It's the real deal as far as emulation quality goes. Really enjoying it way more than I thought I would. I had originally intended to just flip it on eBay (I didn't do anything extraordinary or wait in long lines, so I wouldn't feel too bad about it) but curiosity got the better of me. :lol:

Edited by derFunkenstein

They are still high quality, and close enough of a replica that someone who hasn't held a controller in 20 years won't know the difference. I hardly notice any difference in feel during actual gameplay, only that yeah, if I hold controller A and controller B in my hand, I may notice some slight difference in feel. The internals are changed ever so slightly that they are not drop in replacement parts for the vintage controllers. However given the scarcity of these things and the fact that many casuals who pick up Mini consoles probably don't have original hardware laying around, I just don't see a market for classic controller to original console adapters.

You can buy ten packs of silicone membranes for NES and SNES controllers on ebay all day long for cheap. 99% of the time, a deep clean and replacement of worn membranes will make any crusty old worn out controller feel factory fresh.

re: snes classic controllers, close enough isn't good enough for me but to each their own.

re: switch pro

It's comfy, no doubt. 360 is better though in that regard. The d-pad and buttons are strictly inferior to the wii and wii u controllers for example (probably the best all time), triggers and analog sticks are better on the switch. I register the wrong direction all the time on my pro d-pad and yes everything is updated. It's a physical problem, not software. It's too high profile and clicky. The buttons are too big. The analog stick buttons are also really bad compared to the wii u, crouching in zelda is a nightmare for instance. Battery life is godly though, and compared to the garbage joycons (anyone with decent sized hands anyway), it is a major upgrade. But def not the be all end all controller.

Really hope a better 3rd party bluetooth one comes along (hori I'm looking at you).

Edited by Tusecsy

Anyone else notice the jumping delay in DKC? It makes the game unplayable to me. After 20 years of knowing when to jump I had to relearn it because of the delay. I had several deaths from missed jumps.

Also, I played SF2T today on real hardware and it was like night and day. I didn't lose a single match (lost over 10 on the classic) and pulled off 9 out of 10 haudukens.

Also noticed playing both games on the Classic they had washed out looking colors. So yeah the original is the only way to play in my book.

So, regarding scalping prices, they are not doing so well for scalpers. I have seen consoles being sold on eBay for $139.99 with free shipping. So if someone buys that at that price, here is what they will have to deduct :

$139.99 Purchase Price

- $79.99 Retail SNES Classic Price

- $ 4.00 Average Sales Tax

- $16.00 Average Shipping Costs

- $14.00 eBay Final Value Fee

-----------

$26.00 Total Profit

Not exactly scalping heaven, is it?

• Like 2

So, regarding scalping prices, they are not doing so well for scalpers. I have seen consoles being sold on eBay for $139.99 with free shipping. So if someone buys that at that price, here is what they will have to deduct :

$139.99 Purchase Price

- $79.99 Retail SNES Classic Price

- $ 4.00 Average Sales Tax

- $16.00 Average Shipping Costs

- $14.00 eBay Final Value Fee

-----------

$26.00 Total Profit

Not exactly scalping heaven, is it?

Shortly after getting the SNES Classic, I paid $90 + free s/h for a new Famicom Classic Mini on Amazon (US seller). How much profit do you think he made? Can't be a lot. :P

Unless that Fami Mini fell off the back of a truck, he probably made none.

I'm honestly glad if he didn't make bank off it. Karma's a bitch. He had 40 units available. Tanooki posted the link a few pages up. Probably a scalper who waited too long before desperately trying to unload stock, but at $10 more than SNES retail, the price was right for an import. And yes, it was genuine Nintendo product and not a knockoff. :thumbsup:

And if you can't stand it, there's a deal on amazon right now, dude has just 40, but it's the FAMICOM (not super famicom) mini -- US amazon, US shipper.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01M1VMFUA/ref=dp_olp_collectible?ie=UTF8&condition=collectible&m=A3JEMH57T5GOEH

Saw this on reddit, guy posted it after buying one and claims it's a legit new item and not aftermarket.

If you're that hard up, its $90 shipped. Just hakchi the damn thing and put the SNES library on there you want.

I ordered a Fami mini for the collection; thanks for the tip. A 50% markup over retail (tax free btw) is not unreasonable for imports. :thumbsup:

I might need to procure an extra long HDMI cable for this one, LOL! :P

Anyone else notice the jumping delay in DKC? It makes the game unplayable to me. After 20 years of knowing when to jump I had to relearn it because of the delay. I had several deaths from missed jumps.

Also, I played SF2T today on real hardware and it was like night and day. I didn't lose a single match (lost over 10 on the classic) and pulled off 9 out of 10 haudukens.

Also noticed playing both games on the Classic they had washed out looking colors. So yeah the original is the only way to play in my book.

This is the TV you're playing on. I've plugged my Classic into three different displays and had three different experiences:

32" Westinghouse - input latency (the time from pressing a direction to the time I jumped) was awful

46" RCA - lag was reduced, but still not really great

24" Dell UltraSharp U2415 PC monitor - lag was basically non-existent.

I've come to the conclusion that you either need a fast TV with a gaming mode (neither of my TVs have it) or you need a PC monitor in order to really play classic games on a modern display. The Classic and my RetroPie reacted similarly on all three displays, and as a result I've ordered a 27" ViewSonic VA2759-SMH 27" monitor (VGA and HDMI inputs). The VGA on my Westing house works well with one of these S-Video to VGA adapters for my actual consoles (less lag than HDMI since the TV thinks I'm using a PC), and I expect the ViewSonic to do similar.

• Like 3

This is the TV you're playing on. I've plugged my Classic into three different displays and had three different experiences:

32" Westinghouse - input latency (the time from pressing a direction to the time I jumped) was awful

46" RCA - lag was reduced, but still not really great

24" Dell UltraSharp U2415 PC monitor - lag was basically non-existent.

I've come to the conclusion that you either need a fast TV with a gaming mode (neither of my TVs have it) or you need a PC monitor in order to really play classic games on a modern display. The Classic and my RetroPie reacted similarly on all three displays, and as a result I've ordered a 27" ViewSonic VA2759-SMH 27" monitor (VGA and HDMI inputs). The VGA on my Westing house works well with one of these S-Video to VGA adapters for my actual consoles (less lag than HDMI since the TV thinks I'm using a PC), and I expect the ViewSonic to do similar.

I'll have to try a different one but I would be surprised if it made a difference. I can play other systems on the same tv with no delay. Also I haven't noticed the delay on other games yet. I'll have to try out SMW next.

I never thought I had any delay playing PS3 and PS4 games on that RCA TV, but it wasn't until I got a RPi3 that I started feeling the lag. I thought it was the Pi and stuck it in a drawer, but when the SNES Classic behaved the exact same way I tried that system on the other two, and it was resolved on the PC monitor. Dug out the Pi system and it was also fixed.

• Like 2

So where is this thing? I thought that it was going to be more available (or actually available) unlike the NES Classic. Not much is written about the status of this one either.

While there's obviously more supply than the NES Classic fiasco, you still have to be vigilant and actively find out when they're available and get to the store when they are.. because while there isn't a huge "rush" by masses to snag it, they still will be most likely sold by end of day. As it currently stands, no one's going to find it heading out on a Saturday casually browsing stores.

Yeah, i get that, but I'm not finding any information of availability. At least last year, there was some info. It's really odd...

The last restock I'm aware of on 10/14 (where I snagged 2 more.. one for my sister in law & one as a christmas gift) was publicized, and we even spoke about it here telling everyone to head out. :)

e.g. https://www.gamespot.com/articles/snes-classic-edition-back-in-stock-at-gamestop-and/1100-6453942/

Or just get a real super nintendo off ebay. You can play more games. And with my nakitek game saver + I don't even miss save states. It just like having a mini. Unless you have to play star fox 2. Otherwise all 20 can be had on cart. Or a multicart as others have suggested.

He's looking for a SNES Classic.. not the same thing.
This is a classic gaming board. I don't know about you guys by MY assumption here is everyone has an SNES and several carts and an sd2snes at this point, (including many other consoles) already. :P
Edited by NE146

Thanks. I used Brickseek last year for the NES (but had no luck) and when I looked in recent weeks for theSNES, they didn't list any stores as having inventory. At least on occasion, I saw the NES in stock in theory... I'll keep checking though.

I heard Target purged Brickseek from accessing their inventory. Still no way to check Gamestop and Best Buy. Best bet is to get lucky or just hang around every morning until they get some.

So glad I camped out launch day an hour and a half before Target opened.