IGNORED

The Knight Rider 2600 project

HardWork

7 hours ago, TrekMD said:

This may be closer:  Fatal Run

Fatal_4.png

Definitely more like this than a top down, such as Spy Hunter. I've also thought that for the plethora of driving/racing games that exist for the 2600, there aren't many that have a "plot" of sorts, like a mission embedded in the game or that alternate to other games within itself, kind of like Alien or Gremlins. I could easily see a Knight Rider game that is a cross between Fatal Run and Berserker or Keystone Kapers, but maybe with your avatar avoiding the enemy character to deliver a floppy disc or something. All set to a .midi soundtrack of the show and featuring a tanned blonde woman at the end of each level. Maybe a Kit feature, maybe you get extra levels when you collect pleather pants. 

Yeah I said it. I think Hasselhof was wearing pleather. 

• Like 2

On 1/1/2011 at 12:47 PM, Brian O said:

I did a quick Google search, and it appears team Savage has a website, with some Knight Rider 2600 screenshots:

http://www.teamsavage2600.com/projects/works_in_progress/kr2600.php

They actually look pretty good!

-B

Got me in 2021. I let my guard down for only a decade to finally succumb. I am never gonna give up on this thread.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

This is a cool thread! :) 

Maybe Hardcastle finished this ROM decades ago and he hasn't decided to share it yet?  

KnightRiderBunny.thumb.jpg.dd2cb2a3d5cfd57e781dcc3d60ddbc45.jpg

HardWorkMaybeHavingTooMuchFuntoShareThisROM.thumb.jpg.08552fa23122c227c62fdaabd4245399.jpg

I'd be having way to much fun with this game program thread to release the game program to fans yet.

You guys must be patient and wait for this game, it could be 33 years again like folks hadda wait for my best seller fortune teller from Princeton New Jersey 

Sometimes even the Original Author has to wait to release a game program encrypted against software Pirates, Knight Rider could be super encrypted too ?

16 minutes ago, Mr SQL said:

I'd be having way too much fun with this game program thread to release the game program to fans yet.

Since 2021 is the year of disclosure (everything is finally going to be released to the public), might as well release this game too.

Of course, most people will no longer care about the game after cures to diseases, free energy, antigravity, food replicators, and other alien tech has been released, so he'll be kicking himself for not releasing the game sooner. When it only takes a few minutes to get to places like the Moon and Mars for a sightseeing tour, playing a video game is kind of boring in comparison. :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Random Terrain is right.

I don't remember about what.

The thing is I have a harmony Cart, OK....I've been waiting patiently since 1979 for a Knight Rider game tape for my Atari VCS.  Listen up HardWork.  I've been so nice...Now Pleeeeeeease,

Release the ROM!

There's no since in you not releesin it when ya could of so many teims already...

Don't hoard it up in your golden castle.

Pleease sir,  RELEASE the ROM!!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jaybird3rd said:

An actual Knight Rider game couldn't possibly provide as much entertainment as this thread has done.

At this point, I think I'd much rather (finally!) see a 2600 version of Pancake Boy.

Thx jaybird3rd!

I didn't know about this Pancake Boy business...It's hilarious.

I wasn't a member of AA back in 2003 when all this started, but one of his early posts I found really odd that nobody called him out on:

On 5/16/2003 at 2:33 PM, HardWork said:

<snip>

4. I am 29...

<snip>

6. I have studied game design & history for 20 years.

<snip>

So he started his study of game design and [game] history at the ripe old age of 9?  Well, I guess in 1983 there wasn't much history to learn :) 

And considering that in 2003 he was 29, then that means that is he is around 47 now (hopefully).  

And since he hasn't logged into his account since 2006, I am curious how often he visits his magnum opus of a thread here without logging in 

Or maybe he saw the light and created a new account and he is still walking among us today

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, TwentySixHundred said:

I always forget about this thread till it's bumped once again as the yearly tradition. I wonder how Hardwork is doing these days :)

He went to work for Fauxtari. You know, programming is Hardwork. I think neither programming nor English are his primary languages.

giphy.gif

Edited by JasperAK
Insert gif instead of making another post
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, fdr4prez said:

I wasn't a member of AA back in 2003 when all this started, but one of his early posts I found really odd that nobody called him out on:

So he started his study of game design and [game] history at the ripe old age of 9?  Well, I guess in 1983 there wasn't much history to learn :) 

And considering that in 2003 he was 29, then that means that is he is around 47 now (hopefully).  

And since he hasn't logged into his account since 2006, I am curious how often he visits his magnum opus of a thread here without logging in 

Or maybe he saw the light and created a new account and he is still walking among us today

1 hour ago, frankodragon said:

You never know how really old some people are.  Hardwork could of been 14 years old and maybe lied about his age so he'd figured, "Yeah, I'll say I'm 27 instead."  I think there is some member here that his age is over 100 years old.  

5 minutes ago, JasperAK said:

He went to work for Fauxtari. You know, programming is Hardwork. I think neither programming nor English are his primary languages.

I'm compiling all these quotes together as i feel that's the big picture. He's definitely not the first one to come along and talk about their big big plans. I think many get too excited about developing a game, without actually having any programming knowledge.

They come through and think "i have an awesome idea" "im going to do this this and this" "I should tell everyone my plans because they too will think it's awesome". Then they go off for two weeks on a massive high thinking they can conquer the developing world.

Only to realize the harsh reality it will take many months if not years to gain enough skill. It becomes apparent to develop anything let alone their brilliant idea takes alot of time and study.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, TwentySixHundred said:

I'm compiling all these quotes together as i feel that's the big picture. He's definitely not the first one to come along and talk about their big big plans. I think many get too excited about developing a game, without actually having any programming knowledge.

They come through and think "i have an awesome idea" "im going to do this this and this" "I should tell everyone my plans because they too will think it's awesome". Then they go off for two weeks on a massive high thinking they can conquer the developing world.

Only to realize the harsh reality it will take many months if not years to gain enough skill. It becomes apparent to develop anything let alone their brilliant idea takes alot of time and study.

This is the impression that I gathered

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, TwentySixHundred said:

What's amazing is that he announced a three-year development period. I almost believe he was being realistic about some of his capabilities. The introduction of his team on the other hand made me realize that he had rapidly gone off the rails. You know, it seems like rapidly because I read the entirety of the thread over the course of few hours, but it seriously has gone on for almost 20 years! How much time passed before people started realizing how this would likely end; it's been a twenty-year train wreck. Oh if only I could have enjoyed this thread like an 18-year old scotch.

• Haha 4

45 minutes ago, JasperAK said:

What's amazing is that he announced a three-year development period. I almost believe he was being realistic about some of his capabilities. The introduction of his team on the other hand made me realize that he had rapidly gone off the rails. You know, it seems like rapidly because I read the entirety of the thread over the course of few hours, but it seriously has gone on for almost 20 years! How much time passed before people started realizing how this would likely end; it's been a twenty-year train wreck. Oh if only I could have enjoyed this thread like an 18-year old scotch.

I knew it would end like this 18 years ago!  That was part of the fun.  Currently, the fake VCS un-console has only provided 3 years of entertainment.  It has its work cut out if it hopes to even come close to this masterpiece!  If Hardwork was forward thinking, he could have fleeced people for tens, maybe even double tens of dollars in upfront money to "build a community and gauge interest"™!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, TwentySixHundred said:

I think it's fine to have grand ideas, and I think it's fine to have ideas that never end up becoming reality. Not all ideas end up being practical, and sometimes our muses lead us elsewhere.

At the same time, I think it's good to maintain a sense of humility about these ideas and the process as well. It's also okay to ask for help if you are in over your head, or to admit that you are out of your depth. The humility needed to admit this and to seek help from others is part of what helps people eventually succeed at producing great things further down the road.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TwentySixHundred said:

I get that all the time at the University where I work (in the CS field).  These types are usually quite arrogant, and full of 'piss and vinegar'.  They have big ideas about how they will develop these huge games, and think they're experts just because they play games.  Then they complain that the projects we give them are too hard; projects that are probably 100 lines of code at most.  Usually by the end of the year they've washed out and transferred to Business or some related field.  I guess it's the academic version of 'Eternal September'.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Karl G said:

I think it's fine to have grand ideas, and I think it's fine to have ideas that never end up becoming reality. Not all ideas end up being practical, and sometimes our muses lead us elsewhere.

At the same time, I think it's good to maintain a sense of humility about these ideas and the process as well. It's also okay to ask for help if you are in over your head, or to admit that you are out of your depth. The humility needed to admit this and to seek help from others is part of what helps people eventually succeed at producing great things further down the road.

Couldn't agree more, there is no issues with having the ideas. It's more the arrogance as Stephena mentioned that lands them the flak. Like you were saying sometimes it's best to reach out to the community for a hand, especially if it's something you really want to do. There is nothing wrong with swallowing a bit of pride, rather then coming across as knowing it all, then stuck in the mud. Even if the questions can be embarrassing or novice that's what the community is all about, it may well help someone else wishing to endeavor the same road later down the track ?

2 hours ago, stephena said:

I get that all the time at the University where I work (in the CS field).  These types are usually quite arrogant, and full of 'piss and vinegar'.  They have big ideas about how they will develop these huge games, and think they're experts just because they play games.  Then they complain that the projects we give them are too hard; projects that are probably 100 lines of code at most.  Usually by the end of the year they've washed out and transferred to Business or some related field.  I guess it's the academic version of 'Eternal September'.

Yep and nearly every programming related board on the internet has atleast a few aswell. I feel you either have the passion and desire or you don't. It runs much deeper within then just wanting to make a game. Those who really have that passion don't mind and enjoy learning the basics before jumping in the deep end. Personally i enjoy messing around with test projects just to learn new things and see what i can achieve, more-so then actually writing full games (they can get tedious). Anyway i guess some just don't like to suck it up, zip the lips and soak in knowledge from others more experienced. Anyway i couldn't agree more

Edited by TwentySixHundred
  • Like 4