IGNORED

Bought out GameGavel.com, need community input.

PikoInteractive

Guess they don't want to honor the existing 'free' accounts anymore.

When I paid for my lifetime account, it did NOT come with stipulations. I was one of the first ones and if people actually do a search I started a thread about it here or GameTZ a VERY long time ago, might have done it on both sites I don't remember, promoting the lifetime membership.

At any rate a site that specifically targets a certain audience that lets face it is quite small, will not do very well when it pisses off it's target audience and the users that helped make it what it is.

If you don't want to honor my free account that is fine. I will not support the site or even mention it to fellow gamers. It can sink along w/my $20.

The biggest mistake here was keeping a name and user base w/out keeping prior agreements.

• Like 3

GameGavel is dead.

Then that is fine, However if the auction site runs w/that name it is not dead, just switched ownership. Gamespy Arcade is now dead. However back in like 2001 ish I purchased a lifetime membership there and years later they sold out to some company which I can't remember it's name. The point is while it was still Gamespy Arcade regardless of whom owned it they honored the lifetime free memberships.

I can see it now, how many of you guys would be complaining if Nintendo sold out to a different company and when your $300 system had problems they told you tough shit your warranty was an agreement you made with the previous Nintendo establishment.

How about you buy a season pass, lets use the Buffalo Bills since they just got a new owner, then all of the sudden you find out your season passes you paid for are no longer valid because they were under prior agreements w/past owners and the new owners no longer want to honor prior agreements.

• Like 2

Out of curiosity I went to the gamegavel.com site to see what all the hoopla was about. Nothing. I got a few in-my-face (optimally positioned) advertisements about concert tickets and microphones. I searched for Atari and got served yet another ad about CD-DVD replacement parts.

So. No. It's a dead site. Under construction. Whatever. I'm going to eBay to get some fish tank parts now! Bye!

• Like 1

I'll address the suggestions later on today.

But quickly @icemanxp300

Unfortunately we just bought the domain, logo, name, and Ip. We didnt buy game gavel llc. That business probably is or is going bankrupt and are liquidating assets to pay creditors etc.

So we are not responsible for lifetime memberships. The site will be built again from the ground up, the only thing that will stay the same is the domain, name and logo, social media accounts.

In that case I will never use that site, A guaranty from the original site was promised and now taken away

NOT GOING to be taken in again

• Like 1

In that case I will never use that site, A guaranty from the original site was promised and now taken away

NOT GOING to be taken in again

Not honoring the original website's promises, yet expecting to reap the benefits of the original website is rather two-faced. A double standard.

It's all too convenient to both the sellers and buyers of such websites. The only consumer defense that comes to mind is not subscribe to or use such sites/services/software. I learned this early on in the dotcom era, with some software packages - product changes hands and I lose the benefits I was promised.

Some may justify it by saying it's only a cheap subscription or whatever. But this 12-page (and growing) thread would disagree. It's too bad Piko had to soil his reputation by dealing with Kennedy, not once with the Chameleon, but twice, again, for gamegavel.

• Like 1

Not honoring the original website's promises, yet expecting to reap the benefits of the original website is rather two-faced. A double standard.

It's all too convenient to both the sellers and buyers of such websites. The only consumer defense that comes to mind is not subscribe to or use such sites/services/software. I learned this early on in the dotcom era, with some software packages - product changes hands and I lose the benefits I was promised.

Some may justify it by saying it's only a cheap subscription or whatever. But this 12-page (and growing) thread would disagree. It's too bad Piko had to soil his reputation by dealing with Kennedy, not once with the Chameleon, but twice, again, for gamegavel.

WELL SAID. The ORIGINAL SITE guaranty should of been INCLUDED in the negotiations. An outstanding
GUARANTY / PROMISE should of been ironed out before giving it away. Since you are still using the same NAME
and site ip

THIS is no way to retain the ORIGINAL users who made an attempt to get this off the ground and are now
just pushed out.

I dont see much future for a company that starts out KICKING the original users

Edited by FND

It's looking pretty safe to say you guys' $20 investment eight years ago will be worth the same next year as it is today. Keep fighting the good fight.

The best part of all this recent outrage is the the username who posted this (emphasis, mine):

Just got this email:

"Hello GameGavel.com Users!

Hello Guys! This is Eli Galindo, the new owner of Gamegavel.com.
I acquired the website along the RETRO video Game magazine at a fire asset sale from the previous owner.
I am barely officially reaching out to all members as I had to validate all the membership emails that were active. I'd like to talk about the future and my plans for the website.

First off, I'd like to let all the premium/unlimited members of the website know that your account will be grandfathered. You will keep the benefits you have with the account you paid to the previous administration. There will be new features on the site which you will be welcome to upgrade to once they are rolled out.

The site will be running as it is for a while; we plan to re-make the auction website from scratch using Django. The current system is licensed and not proprietary; that, and it being about 1999 technology were the reasons that made me decide to re-make it from scratch. This will allow us to make new system features, a responsive website, along with a mobile friendly one. However it will take a long time for us to roll out the update (we are only 2 guys!). Again, the Gamegavel.com site will run as is and will work with the current website features.

Some of the things that we'd like to add is classifieds (free) and inventory management system (feed listings to your ebay, amazon, and gamegavel account as well as update inventory in real-time through all 3 marketplaces). This will allow sellers to list on GG and control inventory on ebay and amazon without having to de-list items, or reduce stock quantity, etc.
In the mean time, we'll be doing some out-reach to sellers at conventions to bring quality listings and auctions to the website, if you see me at any of the retro conventions I normally attend, please reach out and talk to me.
If you have any comments or questions please don't hesitate to contact me at this address (gavelgame@gmail.com). I am currently a bit busy fulfilling the Iron Commando IndieGogo as well as running the Mega 3D Noah's Ark Kickstarter (Shameless plug, but check it out if you are into NES and Genesis games); but should be able to answer emails fairly quickly (24-48 hours).

Kind regards,
New GameGavel Team"

• Like 1

It's looking pretty safe to say you guys' $20 investment eight years ago will be worth the same next year as it is today. Keep fighting the good fight.

The best part of all this recent outrage is the the username who posted this (emphasis, mine):

Well that's very interesting, seems I never got that email BUT find it very telling.

Seems they are already making promise they wont keep

Edited by FND

How about you buy a season pass, lets use the Buffalo Bills since they just got a new owner, then all of the sudden you find out your season passes you paid for are no longer valid because they were under prior agreements w/past owners and the new owners no longer want to honor prior agreements.

As if anyone would buy Buffalo Bills season tickets.

:P ;) :-D

• Like 2

I'll address the suggestions later on today.

But quickly @icemanxp300

Unfortunately we just bought the domain, logo, name, and Ip. We didnt buy game gavel llc. That business probably is or is going bankrupt and are liquidating assets to pay creditors etc.

So we are not responsible for lifetime memberships. The site will be built again from the ground up, the only thing that will stay the same is the domain, name and logo, social media accounts.

This shouldn't have even been said. They should be honored straight away. It makes me think the people involved in the gamegavel sale/transaction are in it just for trading the IP. Don't see the TLC deep hobby interest like when it and classic gaming were new.

As far as keeping the social media accounts? Yes. The SM accounts are the product. You are the product!

• Like 1

I have no idea what you're talking about, but you're raging about a dead website.

Dont feel I am Raging ? Only stating my disapointment

and to clarify I was referring to this emeil statement apparently sent

by the new owners.

"First off, I'd like to let all the premium/unlimited members of the website know that your account will be grandfathered. You will keep the benefits you have with the account you paid to the previous administration. There will be new features on the site which you will be welcome to upgrade to once they are rolled out."

and now recanted

Where?

EDIT: And BTW that lifetime membership came with FREE Listing AND SELLER Fees

Edited by FND

Mmm.. either way, the site is defunct. And I can't imagine it ever being resurrected into anything worthwhile.

IMHO we should just let this thread fade away. Only called back when needed to illustrate a point if and when other websites chose to behave similarly.

Dang, I didn't realize how important was Gamegavel to some of you guys.

There was like 5 people listing games on it on selling when I took the site off. And actually the Marketplace is all done, but need to do some beta.

We won't have listing fees, only final sale fees which I already said that unlimited users would be grandfather. I don't understand the fuss about that? Are you guys mad because you will be grandfathered?

Other features were branded store page, which I didn't even thing was much of a feature and will be free.

The only thing to give to old unlimited accounts will be no commission fee.

Also, you will need to use stripe if you want to use the site. You welcome to use it when Marketplace is in beta, and claim your no fees account, or you are welcome to use other far more popular marketplaces like ebay, Amazon, and Etsy.

Im not a "have a free coke" kind of guy like Mike, so I will not be paying attention to whining. IF you want to claim your free account, great! If not, I don't really care. That website is not going to be what it was anyways.

So yeah, cheers!

Edited by PikoInteractive

Mmm.. either way, the site is defunct. And I can't imagine it ever being resurrected into anything worthwhile.

IMHO we should just let this thread fade away. Only called back when needed to illustrate a point if and when other websites chose to behave similarly.

Agreed, But the Title of this Thread was specifically asking for community input :-D

EDIT: And the above response says all I need to hear

Edited by FND
  • Like 1

The problem here is not one but many. Many different things were said multiple times. That email was sent but it was also stipulated in this thread he was setting conditions that must be met for lifetime memberships to maintain those memberships and one was we had to log in which last I knew we could NOT!

But I thought of a compromise that should work pretty well. What I am going to do is to grandfather any free account that has listed/sold items up to 4 months prior the cutoff date. Cutoff date is when we move to a new platform so it should be a while from now. So there is plenty of time for everyone that wants to keep their unlimited account to list stuff for sale and be active.

Win Win!

We have been waiting for updates but there hasn't been any.

At this point I really don't care what does or doesn't happen. This is what happens when communication just drops off completely and people make up their own determinations on what's going.

As far as I see, gamegavel is a lost cause and not worth the hassles to deal with especially when I'm pretty sure it was purchased w/out the knowledge of basically everyone having a lifetime account. The main user base of income was gone before Piko even started.

• Like 1

If people dont want to use it that is Pefectly ok too. It gets lots of registrations anyways.

Is not going to make me sad that some people choose not to use, that is totally fine.

Still doesnt mean I wont list things for sale and get some other vendors to register.

There is still traffic, and registrations, the least I could do is have it online, list some stuff, and offer people that paid an unlimited account to list for free.

If people dont want to use it that is Pefectly ok too. It gets lots of registrations anyways.

What is there to use?

There doesn't even appear to be an auction site anymore, just some marketplace that says under construction.

What are people going to be a vendor of? I don't see a single item for sale by anyone so if people can't see what you are selling what is the point?

• Like 1

EDIT: And BTW that lifetime membership came with FREE Listing AND SELLER Fees

Keatah was being Keatah by trying to stir up trouble by quoting a post after the one where Piko said he'd honor memberships. August 2017 comes after May 2017, last I checked. He literally did what you guys are again complaining about--and the crazy part is that Iceman apparently forgot Piko already gave in. Take a deep breath, fellas!