IGNORED

Ataribox

This is purely speculation, but there are similarities with these renders and those of the RetroVGS and Coleco Chamelon. It wouldn't surprise me if the same Hong Kong-based studio, Delaney Digital, did these too.

-For starters, they have their own Atari 2600 concept console. Not the same, but could have led to an Atari project.

-Many of their renderings are on a basic gradient background (though this may be pretty typical).

-The Ataribox intro has electronic music, just like the RVGS video did. For fun, start the Atari video and then hit the RVGS to play consecutively (there's about 1 second difference in the big logo reveal).

- And finally, a Blade Runner-esque logo created by Delaney and posted on May 4th, 2017 without any explanation that I can find:

post-39941-0-55530300-1500305951.gif

It's all circumstantial and doesn't affect the project at all. However, as an avid follower of the RVGS/CC debacle I'd be very amused to find if they did do the renders for yet another crowdfunded console idea that probably has no physical product to showcase.

• Like 6

Is it too late to point out that Atari in 2017 has nothing to do with Atari of the 70s & 80s? You might as well call it the InfogrammesBox... or the HasbroInteractiveBox. It's not the same company. As much as I love the legacy, I'm not pretending that Atari somehow hung on and survived to the present day. Of course, if they put out a great product I might be interested but that has little to do with the Atari name being slapped on there.

It's been pointed out before. But I've come to realize that Tramiel Atari had little to do with 70s Atari either. They axed most of the staff, moved the HQ and didn't even take the arcade division.

This is purely speculation, but there are similarities with these renders and those of the RetroVGS and Coleco Chamelon. It wouldn't surprise me if the same Hong Kong-based studio, Delaney Digital, did these too.

Good catch. I was looking for him, too.

Small correction:

Delaney digital dot NET is in Hong Kong.

Delaney digital dot COM is our guy: http://www.delaneydigital.com

and he's got a +44 dialing code, which puts him in the United Kingdom.

• Like 2

Delaney Digital Atari design, shamelessly ripped from http://www.delaneydigital.com/portfolios/atari-console-concept/(which has higher resolution close-ups) as these things have a way of disappearing when lawyers come knocking.

A hypothetical atari console concept inspired by the 2600 Darth Vader which references both the Fuji logo and pastels from the XE.

post-2410-0-13944500-1500310399_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah, not going to click on a video when they have no more information than the rest of us. I was kind of thinking / hoping critical thinking was making a comeback after the CC debacle and the somewhat frosty reception this thing has received so far, but c'mon. HURRY, MAKE A VIDEO THE ATARI IS BACK YAHHHHHHHHH

• Like 3

Off topic, but I assume some of remember the modems where you had to stick the handset into, and instead of a monitor, you had a line printer that only gave the response.

On topic... this could either be yet another emulator in a box (as if we need more of those) or another vaporware product.

Atari in the 80s had nothing to do with Atari in the 70s. Atari in the 90s had nothing to do with Atari in the 80s. ETC.

That's not really true - a good bit of the staff and operations carried forward from the 70s through the 80s. There was still a direct connection to the pre-Warner company. It was still the same corporation into the 90s despite massive staffing changes. Not to mention they carried the same product line. All companies evolve over time, staff changes, etc. but there's a line somewhere between evolution and another company (or subsidiary) buying up the liquidated name. Midway of the 90s wasn't the exactly the same as Midway of the 80s, but it had a lot of the same people, same building, etc. If anyone puts the Midway name on something now in 2017 (WB or whoever) that's completely different.

• Like 4

Quarter to Three: Atari wants in on the throwback console fad

Atari states that they have months of “milestones, challenges and decision points” prior to launch. So why announce anything when they don’t have much nailed down for public release? One could guess that they aspire to end up as an eBay hot-seller like some other retro consoles.

That's not really true - a good bit of the staff and operations carried forward from the 70s through the 80s. There was still a direct connection to the pre-Warner company. It was still the same corporation into the 90s despite massive staffing changes. Not to mention they carried the same product line. All companies evolve over time, staff changes, etc. but there's a line somewhere between evolution and another company (or subsidiary) buying up the liquidated name. Midway of the 90s wasn't the exactly the same as Midway of the 80s, but it had a lot of the same people, same building, etc. If anyone puts the Midway name on something now in 2017 (WB or whoever) that's completely different.

They had different focuses too.

Warner Atari was a videogame company that sold computers on the side.

Tramiel Atari was primarily a computer company that sold consoles on the side.

If you think that's a meaningless difference, if their focus had been games consoles, they might still be relevant today. The computer market was a dead end, they didn't realize it at the time.

Doesn't the current Atari have Nolan Bushnell on the board of directors? You'd think that at the very least Atari has blessing from him. Not that that matters though because most of the individuals that were the heart and soul of the original Atari are likely dead or retired by now.. we can only hope the youngsters that have taken up the reigns can make a brand worthy of the name ATARI. I would like to see a new fresh Atari that learns from the mistakes of the company's past and becomes relevant again with young people.

-For starters, they have their own Atari 2600 concept console. Not the same, but could have led to an Atari project.

-Many of their renderings are on a basic gradient background (though this may be pretty typical).

-The Ataribox intro has electronic music, just like the RVGS video did. For fun, start the Atari video and then hit the RVGS to play consecutively (there's about 1 second difference in the big logo reveal).

- And finally, a Blade Runner-esque logo created by Delaney and posted on May 4th, 2017 without any explanation that I can find:

attachicon.gifatari-logo-delaney-digital.gif

It's all circumstantial and doesn't affect the project at all. However, as an avid follower of the RVGS/CC debacle I'd be very amused to find if they did do the renders for yet another crowdfunded console idea that probably has no physical product to showcase.

You know what? That intro sound effect is almost the same in both videos, as well as the virtual camera panning. They may be related.

I got the email this morning and the concept does sound cool that retro games will be available. But if it's just another Ouya / Forge / Shield type device with licensed retro games as well as indie games, I'll probably pass.

They claim that they aren't trying to info tease, and they're delaying announements to get things "just right". My reaction is that they apparently made a poor decision in going public at all, and if Atari isn't confident that the project is "right" after having moved a decade to study the modern retro market, then I'm not confident that they should be releasing anything at all.

The back-and-forth makes this project look like ameteur hour, nothing more.

• Like 1

They obviously want to tease. Also that design makes me think of an Adidas track suit.

It's a bit sad that the most exciting thing they announce is USB, HDMI and SD cards. That said maybe it will run ROMs? That would be nice.

Edited by Newsdee
  • Like 1

They obviously want to tease. Also that design makes me think of an Adidas track suit.

It's a bit sad that the most exciting thing they announce is USB, HDMI and SD cards. That said maybe it will run ROMs? That would be nice.

Edited by godslabrat

We've been down this road before, come on guys tell me you're not falling for this. Their web sight is asking for Jobs and Dev's.... So shouldn't a system coming to market have that already in place? I know we're all fans of Atari but I don't want a Ouya 2.0 with the fuji logo slapped on it.

• Like 8

Funny, I thought Atari invented the Flashback console fad...

Sounds like they want Ataribox to be a modern microconsole that targets current gamers as opposed to classic gamers with the Flashback 8. I expect there will be ports of Atari's mobile games in addition to the 2600/arcade stuff. How open this will be in comparision with the NVIDIA Shield. will that remians to be seen.

I'm actually going to hope for the best, and I'll be one of the first people to back this project.

If it turns out well, and I hope that it will, I'll be pleasantly surprised. I'll also have a neat new Atari game system. If it flops, and I hope that it won't, I'll have another media box for my collection of failed media boxes.

Either way, I am legitimately excited that a company calling themselves Atari is releasing a new video game console on the market. I also feel that unfounded cynicism is a byproduct of the aging process.

post-27032-0-88444900-1500352729.jpg

• Like 4