IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Long term strategy would be around building connections between people, supporting your champions and fulfilling the purpose of the community, doing things to encourage growth and bring in new users.

Agreed - at least, on the surface. But what you're talking about is essentially manipulation of that community towards an end. In the context of the Ataribox, the end is to receive at least free publicity from that community in the form of positive SEO, or, in the best possible case, financial support. This community has shown the danger in that approach, which is that we're largely a bunch of jaded contrarian assholes with enough experience to flip it the bird for 200-plus forum pages icon_smile.gif

Note: I'm not accusing you of being manipulative; I do not believe that you are, or have acted in such a manner. But I am filing the idea of shaping opinion on various forms of social media (including forums) under manipulation, because nobody wants bad press following their potential product around before it's even launched.

Without new members communities cannot survive.

True. But it's also up to those new members to learn how to assimilate into those communities. Yes, they should be free to speak their minds and make their opinions clear - but they also need to understand that just because they hold those opinions does not mean that the community is obligated to care about or for it, or to change its general outlook because of theirs.

• Like 6

I considered purchasing the pong table.

Couldn’t convince the wife it would make a good coffee table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Live that Atari Lifestyle, bro. YOLO it to the max.

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 2

nobody wants bad press following their potential product around before it's even launched.

Well, it doesn’t appear Atari tries to hide or manipulate bad reviews. Have you seen the comment section of their Facebook page? Woof

we're largely a bunch of jaded contrarian assholes with enough experience to flip it the bird for 200-plus forum pages

If they actually build it, a bunch of jaded aholes here are still going to buy it. [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, what a long (and winded) thread, & a lot to weigh in on; Ataribox, Dreamcade Replay, Retron 77, penny stocks, P.R. moles, tacos, canned beef byprocucts. I feel like I just watched a David Lynch or Stanley Kubrick film. Definitely a long strange trip. Part of me wants to throw my opinion in the ring (for Sharts & giggles sake), the other part just wants to express my malaise and sarcasm through the contemporary art of memé. Perhaps I'll do both. These are just my opinions and observations, not to be confused with a debate or argument.

As for the Ataribox, It of course, at least "looks" cool. Right? An Atari branded & styled "Steam box-esque" type device would be a nice addition to any game room. But much like Indiana Jones, "I had a bad feeling about this" from the start. After watching the Retro VGS/Coleco Chameleon fiasco, (oh, & BTW, I sooo wanted the translucent pink or purple one! Someone please just sell me an empty shell for my Jaguar for goodness sake!!! <--- Serioulsy, I want one!), and then going to the Ataribox website only to discover a vague teaser video loop and the only interactive click button designed to snatch my email address, I knew it was time to throw in the towel from the start. It had the same "vacuum cleaner salesman vibe" of a pre-approved credit card application letter with just a P.O. box for a return address, and no other company name listed. Did you know your vehicle warranty is about to expire, you only have 30 days left to respond? It would be cool if they just manufactured the Ataribox "futuristic" style joystick as a bluetooth compatible and nothing more. It would sell like hotcakes tacos. But I'm patient, and of course, I'll believe it when I see it, (or more specifically when some other person buys one first and YouTube reviews it).

The Dreamcade products look amazing! I'm just a little confused on how they are skirting the legalities of the software licencing? They clearly show Donkey Kong footage and promote Pokemon, & I know they didn't get the "big N" to sign off on that. Shouldn't they have been slapped with a cease and desist yet, or am I seriously missing some other aspect to this? This almost seems like a high-tech glorified 10,000-in-1 Chinese famiclone operation. But kudos to them for getting an "in the garage" business off the ground. Just hope they don't end up in jail or something horrible.

Retron 77 = I want one (much more than any of this other questionable crap). Mainly because I can play my "Lead" homebrew cart in HDMI. Lead has some tiny graphic details that don't show up well on CRTs. Last I heard, they were trying to legitimately acquire an older build of "Stella" emmu? Rumor is Hyperkin had some legal issues? I haven't heard much about the project in a long time. Is it still a thing? To be, or not to be?

Atari Stock and moleasses, why. why, and WHY? [strictly rhetorical]. Yes, I have a portfolio. No, neither Atari, or any of it's multiple parent/subsidiaries are in it. I get the allure of the gamble, but it is a BIG gamble. If you're going to throw money away, buy penny cryptos instead, cuz who's know what the next trend will be, right? But seriously, I don't think this is the forum for dolling investment advice, nor would I ever take such advice based off a vague speculation in a forum about antiquated video games from someone who is ambiguously claiming to be an "insider". If you make money, and it works well for you, oh well. Good job. I'm glad you were a big boy today, and were able to finish all your brussel sprouts. I'm here to talk about video games, because this is my leisure time. I'll manage my finances some other day (perhaps a Thursday). There are people here from all different backgrounds, age brackets, careers, and vocational disciplines, some are very successful, some are here just to have a good chat and may not have any professional accolades. I welcome both types of members. I have also noticed that the AA forum members who have impressive resumes are usually quite humble, and behave like professionals. Some of them, I made friends with without even having a clue as to how "important" they are in real life. Nor do I care, because that's not my reason for being here. I'm not impressed by braggadocios individuals name dropping their connections and indirectly threatening other people that "they'll be sorry" if their expertise advise is not heeded. I have no doubt, there may be some people solely here for the purposes of gauging community response, or to inject some degree of advertising hype in hopes that the product they personally invested in will ravenously fly off store shelves with the voracity of the the N'ntendo Classics, and thus satiate their avarice. Again, that's their business, I'm just not fooled by it. I do hate it when topics get derailed, it makes it harder for me to find information. I thought it was a good idea to research ahead & see how well Atari is holding up financially as to an indicator of their ability to compete on a modern gaming level. I understand that stock value alone isn't a crucible to determine whether a company can produce a piece of hardware, but, I do think it's a good start for an individual consumer and potential investor to personally decide whether they want to back a crowdfunded startup when no other concrete details or timelines are formally provided. I have seen friends get burned on bad crowdfunding scams. I personally don't trust most of them anymore than I trust panhandlers or infomercial psychics. I am a firm believer that Atari has been plagued with bad luck since Bushnell was put out to pasture by Warner Bros. The company just seems to be more in the business of flipping trademark IPs and lightweight patent trolling, than trying to rebuild their legacy or repay their debtors. The sordid history of Atari is like 40 miles of bad road, and they have had numerous legal ups and downs for decades. They have thrown their eggs all in one basket many a time, and could never seem to replicate the success of the 2600. I don't want to sound cruel, I have a soft spot in my heart for the brand (or else, I wouldn't be here), but I also know to expect disappointment. I also watched the rise & fall of Kenner toys, and although someone out there still owns that IP as well, it doesn't mean Kenner is back in Cincinnati providing employment, and making Star Wars toys again. The taco shell has much metaphoric symbolism here.

My ultimate feeling is that although a company can pitch a seductive campaign, there are those in the gaming community that aren't subverted by the memorizing "bell & whistles" approach, and refuse to flock to anything & everything riding the "retro" marketing bandwagon "just because". As a consumer, I am offended when my demographic as a gen X'er and gamer are exploited on the basis of mere nostalgia. It is good to see fans question the sincerity and stability of potential products as well as demand a quality product when quality is advertised. That's why I tend to think of AtariAge as my "consumer reports" for new gaming products. That's also why I typically don't engage in the mud slinging because I want to hear all sides and form my own opinion. I have been a long time reader, and you folks are most excellent (and sometimes delightfully derogatory and cynical). Thank you.

Tacos and Hormel canned tamales rule. I like my tacos traditional with just a fried masa tortilla and chorizo or beef and a fistful of cilantro and nothing else. I like to let the ingredients speak for themselves, "sophistication in simplicity" is my taco zen. Hormel tamales have been a staple of mine since childhood, and I'm sure they have taken a whopping toll on my LDL count. I eats them on a bed of saltine crackers to soak up the juice, with lots of Tapatío and sometimes cheese (very decadent). I also love crispy fried goetta with catsup, and watery chili cheese coneys, but most people outside my locality either do not know how to cook them correctly or doesn't even know what such things are.

Increase the peace, out.

• Like 13

The first mention of tacos is by known former(?) Big Taco/Taco Cartel operative, x=usr.

All I know is that I have a future financial decision to make: AtariBox or tacos?

I'm going with tacos. They have a better chance of reaching production, and also taste better than plastic.

Flojomojo clearly hates tacos and provided a handy list of highlights for anyone who actually wants Ataribox info (including why tacos):

Back to tacos:
I can't believe no one else has connected the dots, but it's pretty interesting that Hormel stock jumped around the time of the first taco post. The concarnespiracy is real, folks.

Looks like Hormel is the stock to buy. Up 12 cents today!! My wisdom and experience tells me this is a growth opportunity. The numbers look really good, and I've been a tamale canner for 25 years.
hormel.jpg

• Like 7

We missed Community Manager Day last Monday.

http://www.web-strategist.com/blog/2010/01/25/community-manager-appreciation-day-cmad-every-4th-monday-of-jan/

A little respect is due to those who choose that role for themselves. Honestly it seems like a shit gig. This is from the link above:

- Many challenges are internal: Most companies want to hide customer issues, and shuffle them into existing support systems. Additionally, measuring ROI in new media when a company wants to keep the kimono shut, increasingly becomes a challenge.

- Seemingly never ending job: Customers never stop having problems, and with the global internet, the questions, complains, and inquires never stop.

- Emotional drain impacts lifestyle: The sheer emotional strain of dealing with a hundreds of yelling customers and the occasional trouble maker will take a strain on anyone.

- Privacy risks in the world of transparency: In an effort to build trust with customers, they expose their real name exposing their personal and family privacy forever on.

You know who I think does it really well? Ben Lesnick, the "BanditLOAF." While I will probably never play Star Citizen (the game he "community manages"), he has been running a Wing Commander fan site for almost 20 years, and has obvious love and affection for the medium. https://twitter.com/banditloaf

We missed Community Manager Day last Monday.

It was pretty quiet this year. In the past there would be a 24 hour stream with CMs around the globe joining in hourly blocks to discuss some aspect of being a CM, and of course some awards given out.

It can be a thankless job, so we try to celebrate our own. CMing is just now starting to be recognized as a needed element of running a modern business, apart from Social Media efforts.

I could bore you to death talking about it.

Edited by The Historian
  • Like 1

Everyone seems to think that Atari having a nice big logo in the Blade Runner movie was some kind of big win for Atari SA. There is a reason they don't mention it anywhere in their reports.

I don't know what the big stink was about it. But the internet made sure everyone knew about it. And at the very least, several posts on AA did likewise.

OOOHhhwwaaaahh... Atari is alive 2049. And the connection between Miner 2049'er and all this wannabe shit.

If it's one thing today's internet is good at it's wasting time and generating noise.

• Like 2

The Dreamcade products look amazing! I'm just a little confused on how they are skirting the legalities of the software licencing? They clearly show Donkey Kong footage and promote Pokemon, & I know they didn't get the "big N" to sign off on that. Shouldn't they have been slapped with a cease and desist yet, or am I seriously missing some other aspect to this? This almost seems like a high-tech glorified 10,000-in-1 Chinese famiclone operation. But kudos to them for getting an "in the garage" business off the ground. Just hope they don't end up in jail or something horrible.

Well, they say they licensed everything they sell. How true or accurate that is I don't know. They did show Tempest and many VCS games being sold.. So.. ??

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

As far as Blade Runner...I just think it's brand awareness, as well as a conversation starter...

Somewhere, someone said, "Didya see the Atari Logo?"

Someone else then said, " I hear they might make a console"...

Which is at least better than, "Ya know ATARI?"

"That Ancient (pick one) ***company, system, computer, *** that hasn't existed in decades?"

• Like 1