IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Instead of playing Pong, you get to watch people playing Pong. If they include a live studio audience, you can even watch people watching people play Pong. If someone stops by while you're watching people watching people play Pong, he or she can watch you watch people watch people play Pong. Truly hall of mirrors stuff.

• Like 8

Sneak preview of "Million Dollar Pong"...

Announcer: "What's EVERYBODY's favorite game?"

Audience (shouting in unison): "PONG!!!"

One guy: "Monopoly!"

Announcer: "And here's your host... JOE HASBEEN!"

Audience: (Loud whooping and hollering)

One guy: "You SUCK!"

Joe: "Hey everybody! It's time for (in unison with audience) MILLION... DOLLAR... PONG!!!"

Audience: (More loud whooping and hollering)

One guy: "The Price Is Right audience was full."

Joe: "And here are our two contestants.." (introduces contestants, back stories, etc.)

Joe: "Hey announcer-guy - remind our players and the audience at home of the rules of Pong!"

Announcer: "You got it, Joe! Avoid missing ball for high score!"

Joe: "And now... (in unison with audience) LET'S... PLAY... PONG!!!"

Player one: "Wait... how are we supposed to win the million dollars?"

Joe: "Are you ready player one?"

Player one: "Uh... I guess so?"

Joe: "Ready player two?"

Player two: "I'm ready, Joe!"

Joe: "Ready! Set! PONG!!!"

Blip

Blip

Blip

Blip

Bloop

Blip

Blip

Blip

Blip

Blip

Blip

Blip

Blip

Bloop

Blip

Blip

Bloop

Blip

Blip

Blip

Blip

Blip

Blip

Blip

Blip

Blip

Blip

Bloop

One guy: "You SUCK!"

• Like 12

Not going to lie- this Nathan Strum guy is funny. :)

And yea- no new box news, but I doubt it is actually dead.

I heard the possibility on another forum that they may be waiting on the release in a few months of some new more powerful video chip AMD has coming.

That being said- I don't know why that would cause a delay in the funding unless they want the specs concrete in place before hitting go. Dunno. Not my business to run.

I will reiterate though- call me optimistic but the more projects they do, the more money they make, the better chance of bigger projects in the future. Growth takes time.

Not going to lie- this Nathan Strum guy is funny. :) And yea- no new box news, but I doubt it is actually dead. I heard the possibility on another forum that they may be waiting on the release in a few months of some new more powerful video chip AMD has coming. That being said- I don't know why that would cause a delay in the funding unless they want the specs concrete in place before hitting go. Dunno. Not my business to run. I will reiterate though- call me optimistic but the more projects they do, the more money they make, the better chance of bigger projects in the future. Growth takes time.

Oh sure. They are waiting on a better performing AMD chip. I bet this means they REALLY want it to happen, rather than before, when they just really wanted it to happen.

• Like 4

Sorry to sound like an asshole but there are lots of retro gaming idiots! I honestly don't understand how people can be so dumb to invest in any of these kickstarter/Indigo projects. Seems like 99.9% of them the donator (idiot) loses money either by just a down right scam or delivering completely half ass broken crap. These idiots would be much better off going to Chinatown and buying cheap copyright rip offs they sell. The fake SNES sell for $30.

Edited by thetick1
  • Like 3

Watching other people play Pong can be rather fun, but I wonder where the million dollars come into the picture, if one contestant gets to challenge other contestants and the more number of games you win in a row, the more money you win. How many games would it take to reach one million, winning about 12-15 games in a row against qualified opponents?

• Like 4

Watching other people play Pong can be rather fun, but I wonder where the million dollars come into the picture

That's:

1. How much Atari wants to earn off of this
  2. How much Atari is going to lose on this
  3. Hyperbole - "Million Dollar Pong" refers to how much Atari thinks the Pong franchise is worth. The actual prizes are Rice-a-Roni and Turtle Wax.
  • Like 7

Watching other people play Pong can be rather fun, but I wonder where the million dollars come into the picture

You and me both, brother. Same place as all the other Atari stuff, I suppose: crowdfunding, "investment opportunities," brand licensing, and other variations on other people's money.

If the "Million Dollar Pong Show" went full 1972 with wide lapels, shag carpets, sideburns, woodgrain, slang of the time ... that would actually be kinda fun to watch, if I were the kind of person who watched TV game shows.

Goofy rewrite of Variety's nothingburger of a press release here. Are we really in an "Atari Renaissance?" That's not Faire!

THE ATARI RENAISSANCE CONTINUES WITH A PONG TELEVISION GAME SHOW

When it comes to '80s nostalgia, nothing hits the spot quite like Atari. One of the earliest console gaming systems, it's undergoing a reemergence these days, with Google using old Atari games to teach Artificial Intelligence (horrifying), deals to bring two of its most famous games to the big screen (Centipede and Missile Command), and a visual shout-out in last year's Blade Runner 2049. The "remember us?" party continues today with news that the company is partnering with producer Scott Sternberg for a new game show based on, wait for it, Pong.

You read that right. One of the earliest games on any platform, Pong launched in 1972 and was as simple as any game could be — it allowed two players to hit a small digital ball back and forth using two digital lines. According to Variety, the new show will be called Million Dollar Pong. It is the first game show to be adapted from an Atari game.

Jeff Merkin of Atari will serve as producer alongside Sternberg, who is a game-show veteran, having been behind shows both popular (Hollywood Squares, Love Connection, The Gong Show) and not so popular (Lover or Loser, Rock and Roll Jeopardy).

In a statement, Sternberg called Pong an "iconic brand" that's served as a "cultural touchpoint for generations of people."

No other information about Million Dollar Pong was disclosed, which only makes the mind wander to very crazy places in terms of what this show will be. Will it evolve into watching two contestants play a big-screen Pong like they're on a Twitch channel, or will it be something more technologically intense? If it's a hit, will there be Celebrity Pong? Just how far can you really take Pong in the first place?

Whatever's in the works, it sounds like it could be something worth watching. No network is attached yet, but with everyone and everything looking to cash in on nostalgia in every way, shape, and form, it's only a matter of time. For all we know, a cinematic game-show universe is being built around the filmmakers who found those lost Atari E.T. cartridges at this very moment.

Does the idea of a Pong game show excite you, or would you rather ping it back over to the other side of the screen? Let us know!

How hard could a dock be? seriously I could have a prototype done in a few hours and 3D printed immediately. W/130K It would be custom injection molded in a few weeks... Just let me know.... :grin:

• Like 2

You and me both, brother. Same place as all the other Atari stuff, I suppose: crowdfunding, "investment opportunities," brand licensing, and other variations on other people's money.

If the "Million Dollar Pong Show" went full 1972 with wide lapels, shag carpets, sideburns, woodgrain, slang of the time ... that would actually be kinda fun to watch, if I were the kind of person who watched TV game shows.

Goofy rewrite of Variety's nothingburger of a press release here. Are we really in an "Atari Renaissance?" That's not Faire!

Wait... that's real? It wasn't just another joke? Forgive me; I stopped paying attention to this thread once the information stopped.