IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Yes, seriously.

When I take blurry pictures, I usually have the convenience of vast storage space and 5 extra seconds to take one that isn't. It is convenient that all the other pictures didn't suffer from blurry cell phone syndrome but hey, fine is fine. Oh, and "lol" just to clarify that we're in the lighter side of things here. There's nothing to confirm any real hardware exists anyways since it's not running any demos on a real TV or plugged in.

It's a trade show with crowds of people around. Maybe he had to wait in line to get a close look, and didn't realize that pic was blurry until it was too late? It can easily happen.

Skepticism is one thing, but I don't understand why people are going to such great lengths to try to disprove this thing. Face it, they have more than "just renders". Accept it and move on. Are they fully functioning prototypes? Who knows? But many companies go to trade shows with prototypes that aren't fully functioning or just barely functioning, so even that doesn't indicate anything.

• Like 2

It's a trade show with crowds of people around. Maybe he had to wait in line to get a close look, and didn't realize that pic was blurry until it was too late? It can easily happen.

Skepticism is one thing, but I don't understand why people are going to such great lengths to try to disprove this thing. Face it, they have more than "just renders". Accept it and move on. Are they fully functioning prototypes? Who knows? But many companies go to trade shows with prototypes that aren't fully functioning or just barely functioning, so even that doesn't indicate anything.

They are not on the Show floor. I suspect, given the decor, that they are meeting in a hotel suite.

If they were on the floor we would have had better pictures surface by now.

One thing I will mention in relation to this: it's not uncommon for manufacturers to have prototypes moulded in colours that aren't 100% representative of the final product, generally because it's cost-prohibitive to do so in small runs. That could have happened with this unit.

Having said that, four USB ports, an Ethernet port, HDMI output, and an SD card slot aren't exactly groundbreaking. Expected to be there, sure, but nothing special. It doesn't reveal (or say) anything about the hardware, or give any impetus to start drooling over it.

As for skepticism: well, they certainly showed something - there is a case, at least, and I'll grant that. But what I don't see running to it is power, or AV output. Sure, it could have been disconnected for the photo, but I'd like to see one actually doing something before I'll give them credit for having something that might potentially become a saleable product.

Edited by x=usr(1536)

They are not on the Show floor. I suspect, given the decor, that they are meeting in a hotel suite.

One of those with by-the-hour rates?

You know... to save money.

Anyway, I can see why they'd want to show it off in a hotel room - that way they wouldn't have to bring their own TV.

Assuming it's hooked up to a TV.

Haven't seen any pics of that yet.

Edited by Nathan Strum
  • Like 3

Having said that, four USB ports, an Ethernet port, HDMI output, and an SD card slot aren't exactly groundbreaking. Expected to be there, sure, but nothing special. It doesn't reveal (or say) anything about the hardware, or give any impetus to start drooling over it.

No reason to drool over, but no reason to get angry over either...

As for skepticism: well, they certainly showed something - there is a case, at least, and I'll grant that. But what I don't see running to it is power, or AV output. Sure, it could have been disconnected for the photo, but I'd like to see one actually doing something before I'll give them credit for having something that might potentially become a saleable product.

Well that's what I'd call reasonable skepticism.. As opposed to the "The picture's too blurry, they must be hiding something!" It's as if the "it's all just renders" crowd is mad that they were proven wrong because prototypes exist, so they need to find a new angle to bash it.

• Like 1

Assuming it's hooked up to a TV.

Haven't seen any pics of that yet.

Sure you have, you just forgot, because it's been four months with nothing but tacos in between.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/266480-new-atari-console-that-ataribox/page-100?do=findComment&comment=3891664

BoingBoing gets it: https://boingboing.net/2018/03/21/forthcoming-ataribox-renamed.html

If you suspected this was an empty nostalgia-marketing ploy, this might not allay your fears: someone's already made it so the Wikipedia page for "Atari VCS" is an ad for the new machine. But the concept is essentially Pi-like hackable hardware in a pretty box with well-made controllers, so what could go wrong?

Update: as noted by nungesser, the potential wrong is the price: $300. Better be a great GPU in there for all that cabbage.

• Like 3

No reason to drool over, but no reason to get angry over either...

Well that's what I'd call reasonable skepticism.. As opposed to the "The picture's too blurry, they must be hiding something!" It's as if the "it's all just renders" crowd is mad that they were proven wrong because prototypes exist, so they need to find a new angle to bash it.

Sorry not sorry for having expectations and standards from an overhyped announcement. When they said they would have a system to show off, one that is playing games, functional and working is what is the expected. A prototype of a mockup shell of a render doesn't really say much. It's not running on a TV for a reason, not sure it's fair to call it a prototype at this stage. Mockup? Yes. Still no specs, still no games announced and certainly no hardware actually running any games but they're going to take or announce a pre-order next month? The picture isn't the only thing lacking clarity.

I'm not bashing for new angles, it's all the things NOT being said that is the problem and this just further solidifies it.

For a system that isn't or wasn't plugged in, the Atari logo sure seemed to be illuminating quite brightly. Maybe the picture was just too blurry for me to see the power source...

Edited by Clint Thompson
  • Like 11

Things that make you go hmmm

The thing is.. for us normal gamers, mobile gaming is terrible. They are all money grabbing microtransaction bull crap. Casual gamers like old people with smartphones, or younger people with no proper friends to talk to during lunch play mobile games. Or, they are good when you don't feel like talking to people during lunch... they are anti-social too.

Ha, that brings up one of the things that irritate me and will affect the Ataribox. PC games usually don't provide split screen play like console games. Something like Borderlands.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/atari-vcs-gdc-game-atarbox,36713.html

Not all games will play at 60FPS on the system, like The Witcher 3 or the latest Call of Duty, but the company is testing some other less demanding PC titles, like Borderlands, to see if they will meet performance targets.

• Like 2

Anyway, my problem with the VCS labeling is that this will really confuse customers who are expecting this to be an actual Atari 2600 VCS instead of a Linux based console/PC.

Anybody remember Commodore USA? They sent press releases to get the "Commodore Is Back!" headlines and even made replicas of the C-64 case & keyboard. But underneath they're jjust mini-ITX PC's that ran their own custom Linux distros which quickly became outdated. Oh and also the overpriced "Amiga" branded HTPC's that had no Amiga emulation at all!

But....if they can pull this off and get enough retro style indie titles at launch along with their classic IP, I'll give them a benefit of doubt.

And if we had some ham, We could have Ham & Eggs!

If we had some eggs...

• Like 4

I could have sworn I heard that the unit wasn't going to be demoed until tomorrow...

Doesn't mean I'm hopeful.

The biggest difference between this and the 2600 Knight Rider project is the lack of the Kinko's guy.

• Like 1

If they were on the floor we would have had better pictures surface by now.

How come Atari have not corrected the plethora of tech sites that are saying pre-orders will commence in April?

• Like 1

Found this link on Digital Trends' coverage of the Ataribocs somewhat ironic...

The Atari VCS console will officially be open to pre-orders sometime in April. Until then, the console and its Classic Joystick and Modern Controller prototypes will be on display this week during the Game Developers Conference.

"On display"? So are they just going to have it sit on a couple of SpeakerHat™ boxes, with its logo glowing as people gawk at it?

Aren't they even going to let people play the 2600 version of Centipede on it? I'm sure the Flashback they have hidden inside of it could at least do that much. :ponder:

Edited by Nathan Strum
  • Like 3

The only thing I see connected is either an HDMI cable or a power adapter. I'm thinking an HDMI but it's hard to tell.

USB. The four ports across the top appear to be USB.

post-2641-0-56027800-1521672086_thumb.jpg

The round port below the second USB port would be (presumably) for an AC adapter, with an ethernet port next to that, then HDMI below the third USB port. The slot below the far right USB port appears to be for an SD card. This ties in with the fake rendering they posted way back when (this is the highest resolution photo I could find):

post-2641-0-94905400-1521672087_thumb.jpg

I have no idea what the port under the left USB port is for - but it's there on the "prototype" if you boost the levels in the photo.

post-2641-0-02350000-1521672314_thumb.jpg

If I had to guess, I'd suspect it was a GNDN port.

If those ports are correct - then the AC adapter isn't plugged in. So there's no power going into it. But the USB cable may be plugged into a charger plugged into the wall:

post-2641-0-25095700-1521672698_thumb.jpg

The LEDs in the "prototype" have to be getting power from somewhere, and I'm guessing that's all the prototype has in it - a USB-powered circuit running a few LEDs.

I'd be perfectly happy to have Atari prove me wrong by popping that sucker open though.

• Like 12

I suppose this is neither here nor there, but it's very weird to have four USB ports, with none of them next to each other. Usually when you have multiple ports, at least some get grouped off into twos.

Yeah, I'd expect some refactoring those ports. That RJ45 floating in the middle is just wrong.

To me it's like they just tried to match the render as much as possible.

• Like 6