IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

USB. The four ports across the top appear to be USB.

attachicon.gifataribox-on-an-ataribox.jpg

The round port below the second USB port would be (presumably) for an AC adapter, with an ethernet port next to that, then HDMI below the third USB port. The slot below the far right USB port appears to be for an SD card. This ties in with the fake rendering they posted way back when (this is the highest resolution photo I could find):

attachicon.giffakeymcfakerson.jpg

I have no idea what the port under the left USB port is for - but it's there on the "prototype" if you boost the levels in the photo.

attachicon.gifgndn-port.jpg

If I had to guess, I'd suspect it was a GNDN port.

If those ports are correct - then the AC adapter isn't plugged in. So there's no power going into it. But the USB cable may be plugged into a charger plugged into the wall:

attachicon.gifcharger.jpg

The LEDs in the "prototype" have to be getting power from somewhere, and I'm guessing that's all the prototype has in it - a USB-powered circuit running a few LEDs.

I'd be perfectly happy to have Atari prove me wrong by popping that sucker open though.

USB isn't plugged into the charger. It's the rendered controller plugged into it. So the LEDs are glowing as if by magic, unless the wired controller has a battery pack in it :)

while there are obligations with debian, emulation station, retro arch and all the emulators getting all that setup and working like they have it is a royal pain in the ass, and they do not want people selling the work they did for it

After spending days more or less fighting with everything on a netbook inside an icade I can understand, course its a limited understanding since their x86 directions don't work worth a flying flip

After doing some digging, debian, retroArch and Emulation station all are fine with commercial uses. It is because RetroPie specifically bundles emulators with non commercial clauses they can't legally allow for commercial use. If one stripped down RetroPie to only emulators that allow commercial use one theoretically could have a commercial compatible image. You could rename MAME and use it commercially, Stella(2600) and Gens(sega genesis) are commercial compatible. Doom / Id software source ports are commercial compatible as well. ScummVM is also fine with commercial uses. SNES is probably the biggest hurdle as the emulator most used is explicitly non commercial. The other hard part would be securing legal roms / game licenses so your legal commercial project has something legal to play. So you could make use of much of RetroPie but work would be needed to fork the project and make everything commercially compatible and legal.

• Like 1

A bit of a closer look of the Atari VCS done by CNET. Looks like it will run Ubuntu

https://www.cnet.com/news/ataribox-atari-vcs-console-linux-hands-on-pc/

Video: https://www.cnet.com/videos/our-first-look-at-the-ataribox-the-atari-vcs/

"Good news: We finally understand what the mysterious Ataribox is all about. We've touched its deliciously retro ribbed plastic frame, and given its classic-meets-modern joystick a wiggle. The Atari VCS looks like it could be a real product, one you might be proud to own and display.

Bad news: There's not much proof it's real yet. Atari didn't bring a working VCS to the 2018 Game Developer's Conference in San Francisco, only mockups. Though the company has an interesting vision for the box, we weren't able to try a single game."

"Atari execs told us there's no longer a set price or a promised release date for the console -- because many of its key pieces, like its AMD processor and customized Linux operating system, are still coming together."

"Atari's classic joystick -- the joystick rotates to double as a classic Atari paddle"

"And now, it's been long enough that the company's considering whether it should move to a newer, faster AMD processor than the Bristol Ridge chip it originally planned to use. Which could mean a longer wait."

Edited by vcoleiro1
  • Like 10

LSNES is probably the biggest hurdle as the emulator most used is explicitly non commercial. The other hard part would be securing legal roms / game licenses so your legal commercial project has something legal to play. So you could make use of much of RetroPie but work would be needed to fork the project and make everything commercially compatible and legal.

There is no way lawsuit loving, IP protecting Atari SA is going to open themselves up to any kind of situation were you can easily use illegal roms right out of the box.

You're going to have to dual boot or wipe it to roll you own. It might have emulators for their IP, but no one else's.

USB isn't plugged into the charger. It's the rendered controller plugged into it. So the LEDs are glowing as if by magic, unless the wired controller has a battery pack in it :)

I don't think so. The joystick has a skinny, braided cable coming out of it. The cable going into the "console" is a thick, solid one. Unless they plugged the skinny cable into the thicker one. For some reason.

post-2641-0-67001100-1521684887_thumb.jpg

Close-ups:

post-2641-0-52422600-1521684886_thumb.jpg

The heavier cable looks very much like what's going into the wall.

post-2641-0-49698200-1521684885_thumb.jpg

Anyway, CNET confirmed it's nothing but a mockup.

• Like 5

A bit of a closer look of the Atari VCS done by CNET. Looks like it will run Ubuntu

https://www.cnet.com/news/ataribox-atari-vcs-console-linux-hands-on-pc/

Lots of truth In that article. The modern controller was what caused the delay. They hinted at that in the past but this is the first time they've come out and said it.

But like I said lots of truth there.

• Like 2

There is no way lawsuit loving, IP protecting Atari SA is going to open themselves up to any kind of situation were you can easily use illegal roms right out of the box.

You're going to have to dual boot or wipe it to roll you own. It might have emulators for their IP, but no one else's.

It's a PC for God's sake. There will be root hacks and alternate bootable images in a matter of days and that's only because waiting for shipping!

• Like 3

Lots of truth In that article. The modern controller was what caused the delay. They hinted at that in the past but this is the first time they've come out and said it.

But like I said lots of truth there.

NDA, means non-disclosure, you are not allowed to confirm or deny. :P

• Like 2

"Atari execs told us there's no longer a set price or a promised release date for the console -- because many of its key pieces, like its AMD processor and customized Linux operating system, are still coming together."[/color]

"Atari's classic joystick -- the joystick rotates to double as a classic Atari paddle"

"And now, it's been long enough that the company's considering whether it should move to a newer, faster AMD processor than the Bristol Ridge chip it originally planned to use. Which could mean a longer wait."

Wait wait wait... I thought it was just ONE ITEM on their "checklist" that wasn't ready?

• Like 4

Wait wait wait... I thought it was just ONE ITEM on their "checklist" that wasn't ready?

Read the whole article.. wow IF what he said is legit they really have bad PMs and likey non existent or extremely bad QA testing!

Atari says it had an unspecified issue with its hardware partner on the gamepad, and that caused them to abort the initial launch. But the way execs tell it, that one issue triggered a full audit of the project, which brings us to the awkward state of things today.

"As we started digging a little deeper, we found there were more things that were maybe 90 percent of where we wanted to be instead of 100 percent," says Arzt.

And now, it's been long enough that the company's considering whether it should move to a newer, faster AMD processor than the Bristol Ridge chip it originally planned to use. Which could mean a longer wait

Edited by thetick1
  • Like 3

It sounds like it's not coming out this year. That's the feel I get after reading the CNET article.

And to make matters worse, most tech site articles on the Atari VCS have said pre-orders will start next month. And yet, Atari have made no attempts to correct them. Mind you it was innevitable that occured considering the Atari VCS pre -release was very un clear about the pre-order. Expect a shit show next month when the pre-order doesn't show up and everyone cracks it. The sad thing is that it is totally avoidable with the smallest of efffort - ie issueing a clarifying press-release

• Like 1

Even if Atariboxcorp, Inc. shows hardware to the press and/or public, it doesn't matter unless there's a strong value proposition attached to that hardware. Based on what they've announced about it so far, there still doesn't appear to be one.

Since they plan to sell at the $250-$299 range, I typed up a little comparison with the big three consoles that are on the market now in three broad categories, rating from 1-5, but there is no need to post it as this statement hits the nail on the head.

So I guess we have physical mock ups. Hmmm.... the last effort that started that didn't go so well. Sounds like they have some ideas of what they want for the hardware, but it is not finalized yet either. Hmmm.... that's never happened before :ponder:

Let's supposed they really do put some sort of hardware in there. It is going to play old Atari games. People that will play those games already have a dozen ways to play them. The latest Flashbacks don't sound so bad, so that takes care of the HD/HDMI crowd. Or there are those Flashback collections that already exist and soon to come to a Switch near you. Modern gamers that are too young are going to care or less about those old games.

Ability to run indie titles. So what. There are so many solutions for too.

Let's suppose some of the titles that have come out in the last 2-3 years get ported. How will performance compare to even the stock PS4 or Xbox One S? Heck... the Xbox One X will probably have a price drop before this VCS sees the light of day,

The point is, there is no value added with this project. I can't think of a reason for it to exist. To even get the ports, it has to SELL enough units, but nothing has been announced that convinces me that they will sell even close to that number since this will likely be sold in small numbers online if it ever sees the light of day.

Now if this thing were going to be oh... say $100-$150, I'd be less critical. But for that asking price, they are up against the big boys as far as I am concerned, and there is no comparison.

So Atari SA... thanks for playing, but people have used their wallets else where or plan to do so in the future. At best, this is just going to be some ancillary side show. To the shareholders, give my regards to Captain Dunsel.

• Like 3

QA testing on what, renders?

Huh ? It was originally the gamepad identified as delaying the original release. If it's real they likely got a few protos from China (likely Flextronics) with new AMD chips and found MORE issues. Again this all speculation assuming the Atari SA spokesman is not lying. I personally think they have nothing other than a render, future manufacturing contract in China with Flextronics and an AMD future chip development contract. NOTHING else has been confirmed.

I'm still thinking it's 90% chance the Atari VCS is complete and utter bullshit and a slim 10% chance it's real and just the PMs and QA testers are some of the worst in the world.

Edited by thetick1
  • Like 1