IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Today the FB page is bragging the VCS will have new games like Tempest 4000.

You know...a full year after everything else gets it. Even if this ends up being the best, most versatile console ever, the marketing effort has been an absolute train wreck.

100% agree, a really bad marketing, but hey it's the platform that counts ;)

On the other hand, don't most modern games come with several sets of updates and bug fixes? Perhaps Jeff Minter is the exception to that rule, but otherwise the Atari VCS might offer a smooth running version of Tempest 4000 at the same time as all the other formats which have lived through a set of earlier versions and a couple updates along the way.

• Like 1

On the other hand, don't most modern games come with several sets of updates and bug fixes? Perhaps Jeff Minter is the exception to that rule, but otherwise the Atari VCS might offer a smooth running version of Tempest 4000 at the same time as all the other formats which have lived through a set of earlier versions and a couple updates along the way.

That's the first time I've heard a positive spin to getting a game a year late. :D

Seriously... this is T4K, not a $100 million tentpole release. We've been playing Polybius for quite a while now and it was just fine right out of the gate.

• Like 6

Hmm. By 2019,

An update to a 5-year-old game

which is a sequel to a 19-year-old game

which was a reboot of a 25-year-old game

which was based on a 38-year-old game.

The last four iterations were by the same guy, who has been coding since 1979

... that thing will have patches, somehow making the "Atari V¢S" version more definitive than the Playstation 4 version, which should come out in June 2018?

giphy.gif

• Like 2

You know how Wikipedia tags some articles as being written in the style of an advertisement, when they do little but copy info out of press releases?

Well, here's a "good news" FAQ about AtariBox by courderoy guy:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/278810-the-new-atari-vcs-faq-and-info-thread/

I think he's being uncritical to a fault, but hopefully the longevity and popularity of this thread will help steer people's money in wiser directions than towards "Atari."

• Like 7

The company says...

The company claims...

The company states...

What a fantastic drinking game that post would make. What would be even more fantastic is having any actual evidence of any of these claims two weeks out from the preorder date.

• Like 3

You know how Wikipedia tags some articles as being written in the style of an advertisement, when they do little but copy info out of press releases?

Well, here's a "good news" FAQ about AtariBox by courderoy guy:

I think he's being uncritical to a fault, but hopefully the longevity and popularity of this thread will help steer people's money in wiser directions than towards "Atari."

Well, I for one am glad to see that there's finally a thread to discuss - in complete and total seriousness, and without any taco references whatsoever - the AtariVCSbox.

That never happened in the first 75-plus pages of this thread, where we did nothing but mercilessly and needlessly ridicule it from the outset. The complete lack of critical thinking applied in that time to the brilliance of a machine that doesn't exist in a production-ready form, is expected to be funded by its potential buyers. and that has no developers behind it is just a crime - a total crime, I say!

Finally, there is a place for free-thinking individuals who haven't come under the control of Big Taco to congregate and speak in nothing but hushed, reverent tones for what will undoubtedly be the next revolution in things you can plug into your TV that suck down power for no terribly justifiable reason, even when switched off. Assuming that they're actually built, that is.

Shut up and take my money, AtariVCSboxCorp, Inc. Even if you're a shower of hucksters with a track record of raging failure behind you, I'll still blindly hope that one day you'll bring us that unicorn that farts kittens, rainbows, and money.

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 5

I still haven't forgotten one of his earlier responses going as far as accusing us as being criminal hackers.

• Like 2