IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Why does every company nowadays need to use "Synergy" and "This Changes Everything?" Hell, the original Atari was about beer and Triscuits.

Because people who make technology purchasing and implementation decisions based largely on vendor press releases and anything referencing Gartner's Magic Quadrants have extremely limited vocabularies.

• Like 2

I just want one of those joysticks, but one that's able to interface with a Roku channel loaded with 2600 games. Is that so much to ask?

I think you have me mistaken for someone else. I'm the only poster to use that term, and I think my skepticism about this project is unimpeachable. :grin:

It wasn't directed at you, nor was it even really specifically about this thread. It's a doublethink that pops up a lot in these pie-in-the-sky projects, and I was paraphrasing for clarity.

• Like 1

Why does every company nowadays need to use "Synergy" and "This Changes Everything?" Hell, the original Atari was about beer and Triscuits.

cause "we are going to do the same old shit you are already bored of" doesn't sell

ask atari of the 80's

• Like 3

It's pretty much a generator such as this: http://joe-ks.com/archives_sep2005/BS_Generator.htm

If that doesn't make you naeseous, I don't know what will.

At Atari SA we must phosfluorescently cultivate cross-media "outside the box" thinking.

You mean they intrinsicly e-enable tactical growth strategies? And synergistically fabricate resource-leveling materials while assertively, yet monotonectally utilize world-class schemas and parallel bandwidth to proactively monetize impactful convergence, (Probably) ?

OK that's kind of fun...

Throw the word "webinar" in there somewhere...Put it on my desk Monday morning (On the 7th of Never), and I'll pay you in cryptocurrency...

• Like 1

I see the Dreamcade Replay has a pre-order page for anyone who missed the campaign. They're a couple months behind in production but I find it tempting. It would be nice to have a backup streaming unit when I'm tying up the Xbox One through Windows Game Streaming. To answer Bill's question, it seems the only thing the AVCS has over it is the retro-modern design and the joystick--which apparently could be bought separately for use on other systems, anyway. Well, and I guess if one prefers AVCS' Linux over the Replay's Windows.

It's a doublethink that pops up a lot in these pie-in-the-sky projects, and I was paraphrasing for clarity.

Hey, I figured it was something like that; thanks! Interesting observation. I'm usually pretty good at picking up on doublethink but I've totally missed that one.

• Like 1

It's pretty much a generator such as this: http://joe-ks.com/archives_sep2005/BS_Generator.htm

If that doesn't make you naeseous, I don't know what will.

At Atari SA we must phosfluorescently cultivate cross-media "outside the box" thinking.

Oh, I didn't use a generator for that one. A wordlist, definitely, but it was otherwise hand-rolled.

• Like 2

Dreamcade Replay is everything the AtariBox promised, except for "open Linux" (Windows is easier for most and better suited to games anyway) and the "Atari" brand (which is easily fixed with stickers, since Atari SA is far from "authentic" anyway).

They say,

"Plus, all downloads are from vetted, safe sites, keeping your system and family away from viruses, as well as intrusive, or even inappropriate advertising."

I assume that means they have a list of suggested sites/apps. Do you think that means they've locked it down in some way that isn't easily worked around? I kinda doubt it but haven't followed it closely enough to know for sure.

Because ...nothing is stopping us from making our own emulation stations. They're cheap and don't need much power or technical know-how.

• Like 3

I just built my own PC, so I could build something for the TV. But given their specs, software, and price I'm not sure it'd be worth it to DIY (I'm open to being mistaken). I don't know about the vetted part either. Maybe it's just links to install emulators or streaming apps? The Kickstarter page says they have an app to take pictures of cartridges to download ROM copies--if that's still planned. I'm also curious if an app like Kodi could be installed since the Win10 desktop is available. Mind you, I'm just at the "could be interesting" stage.

Dreamcade Replay is everything the AtariBox promised, except for "open Linux" (Windows is easier for most and better suited to games anyway) and the "Atari" brand (which is easily fixed with stickers, since Atari SA is far from "authentic" anyway).

They say,

"Plus, all downloads are from vetted, safe sites, keeping your system and family away from viruses, as well as intrusive, or even inappropriate advertising."

I assume that means they have a list of suggested sites/apps. Do you think that means they've locked it down in some way that isn't easily worked around? I kinda doubt it but haven't followed it closely enough to know for sure.

Because ...nothing is stopping us from making our own emulation stations. They're cheap and don't need much power or technical know-how.

• Like 1

They say,

The Dreamcade just has a user friendly front end and tool sets that allow you to quickly run games and import new games from the internet archive or other reliable sites to avoid all the adware and trojan riddled websites out there. If you wan't, you can always close their front end and go about getting anything you want that Windows and the internet will let you get to. You can also take a pic of your cartridge and it will pull that game into your system. I think their intention was always to make a standardized emulator box for their arcade cabs that people could use all by itself also. They had the right idea to add a little retro kitsch to the box design, but our litigious friends in France put the screws to that. In function, I expect it will be better than anything @tawee will ever produce. It could have been pretty neat in form also, were it not for those tools. I'll take function over form any day of the week though.

If one was so inclined, there's no reason that it can't dual boot to Linux. I think the value they bring is a small form factor PC at a good price point for emulation, and a front end with pre-installed, pre configured emulators and other tools that's been run through testing for some time already in their other products. A Celeron Windows 10 box at about $100 ain't no small achievement in itself, so yeah it's at a price that might make you ditch an old rig or DIY for the convenience. In other words, there's a reason for it to exist.

Edited by JBerel
  • Like 4

They say,

And when you make your own, you can customize and focus on the games and styles of play. Make it exactly like you want.

In today's abundant world of hundreds of emulators and thousands of ways to run them, locking things down can cost a company more customers lost out of dissatisfaction then what is retained by new customers being locked-in.

• Like 2

Here's a review of the unit just before they began the mass production run last month. They sent several out for reviews about 6 or 8 weeks ago, like they did with their initial prototypes last year, as any reasonable person might expect them to do in a crowdfunded project. I expect their aim is to highlight their front end and user experience over any kind of technological wonders.

The thing costs only about $20-$30 more than a complete RPi rig with a lot more horsepower and flexibility. I expect it to be a utility success if there are not technical flaws in the final production run. Since the same form factor has already been manufactured for some time in more expensive board versions, I don't expect problems. I bet dropping the retro look case was a blessing in disguise. Tooling and molds for that would have added significant expense, delays, and likely presented real engineering problems in the areas of cooling and clearance. That's another reason I don't think @tawee's box will ever see a mass production run. I don't think they have a clue on the design factors other than, "look......pretty!" If Skippy McFragel Mac truly had anything to do with the design, I bet it won't even have the right size holes for USB plugs. He's already 0 for 2 in that area.

• Like 6

Oh, I didn't use a generator for that one. A wordlist, definitely, but it was otherwise hand-rolled.

Statements for these pie in the sky endeavors almost always have "forward thinking" in them. "Synergy", "changes everything", etc... I don't have the time, but maybe we can have a list of commonly used phrases that always pings the bullshit-o-meter.

Dreamcade Replay is really an AcePC AK1 with a custom decal slapped on top. This is a low-cost clone of the HP Elite Slice series. Machines like this (and clones) can be had with low-end Apollo Lake Celeron SoCs at 2.4GHz all way to high-end Core i7 processors. Buying the minimal spec machine in bulk is what allows them to reach their price point and still make a profit

Dreamcade's business model is to purchase either refurb PCs, or low-cost PCs, and put their software on it. They do license Windows, and some games. But I can't imagine them licensing everything - hence all the download options.

So, yah, there's like no "prototype". Funny, eh? It's all off-the-shelf componentry. Stuff you could buy yourself for perhaps $20-$30 more than their bulk-purchasing power discount. And for that $20-$30 increase, you could have your emulation station yesterday, be enjoying it today, and anticipating new things tomorrow.

Absolutely no need, no need at all, to wait for this product. No need to fart around with kickstarter and the requisite delays. Because it's just a low-cost Windows computer with a decal on top!

Anyways STB + emulation FTW!

https://www.amazon.com/HP-Elite-Slice-Desktop-Ultra-Small/dp/B01M0N50YD

https://www.cnx-software.com/2017/10/17/acepc-ak1-celeron-j3455-mini-pc-review-part-1-unboxing-teardown-and-first-impressions/

https://store.hp.com/us/en/mdp/desktops/hp-elite-slice

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=hp+elite+slice+desktop&chips=q:hp+elite+slice+desktop,online_chips:gallery&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjMrZOPiP7aAhUJ7YMKHTKSBxsQ4lYIKSgD&biw=1024&bih=623&dpr=1

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1024&bih=623&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=tcL1WvnICpq6jwT_w7z4Cw&q=acepc+ak1&oq=acepc+ak1&gs_l=img.3..0j0i24k1l9.20039.21705.0.22110.9.9.0.0.0.0.261.1086.0j7j1.8.0....0...1c.1.64.img..1.8.1074...0i67k1j0i30k1.0.jYJV6jpb8jw

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 4

When I worked at the Home Shopping Network directing the TV shows, the hosts had a synonym (I looked that spelling up for the spelling police) book in front of them on the table. Some hosts had a book of power words or whatever as well. So when the camera was off of the host, she'd look up a description in the book. Bright colorful adjectives sold more than saying, "It's a ring made out of plastic and will break in a few days. What do you want for $20 anyways?".

• Like 2

I actually backed the Dreamcade and I'm still trying to figure out why. Part of me was motived by my own pure laziness, knowing full well that I could build my own emulation station but being too lazy to do so. For many years I rocked the original Xbox and a tremendous emulator program called CoinOPS. I'm sure you've heard of it. That more than satisfied my emulation needs for years. Unfortunately my Xbox is getting old and noisy and in need of basic repairs. It's also HUGE and I need to make space in my entertainment center. I was hoping a mini PC emulation center would satisfy my needs. I'm still not sure I should have backed the Dreamcade. I guess I'll find out if my faith was well placed if / when the thing ships on May 22nd.

• Like 2

I can't find any corroboration, but the tester in the below video says the Replay differs from the AK1 in these ways (not including software):

-Name brand eMMC modules.

-Name brand RAM.

-Adjustments to BIOS that should allow for an up to 15% increase in performance over the AK1.

And I can't find any AcePC AK1 for less than the same version of Replay. I'll grant that "pre-order" prices are pretty nice. OTOH, the old "a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush" applies.

I still say that's what Atari SA should do; buy cheap electronics in bulk & put their logo on them.

They probably would, but they don't have the cash flow or risk appetite to buy inventory in advance. That's why they occupy the room next to Mike Kennedy at the Crowdfunding Addicts Rehab Clinic.

• Like 8

Rolling your own emulation station means actually sitting down to learn some things like file management, emulator setup, and general knowledge of how it all fits together. Not to mention spec'ing out your own PC or at least making a savvy choice. The advantage here is that once it's learned, the knowledge enables you to do more and more in the future, fine-tune, configure, and upgrade hardware as needed.

On the other hand, buying pre-made means you can start using the product straight out of the box with no more knowledge than plugging in some cables. And a lot of patience as the device updates itself over the course of several hours, or days even. Especially if it's a Windows 10 home/starter edition based rig!

• Like 2

Dreamcade Replay is really an AcePC AK1 with a custom decal slapped on top. This is a low-cost clone of the HP Elite Slice series. Machines like this (and clones) can be had with low-end Apollo Lake Celeron SoCs at 2.4GHz all way to high-end Core i7 processors. Buying the minimal spec machine in bulk is what allows them to reach their price point and still make a profit

Dreamcade's business model is to purchase either refurb PCs, or low-cost PCs, and put their software on it. They do license Windows, and some games. But I can't imagine them licensing everything - hence all the download options.

So, yah, there's like no "prototype". Funny, eh? It's all off-the-shelf componentry. Stuff you could buy yourself for perhaps $20-$30 more than their bulk-purchasing power discount. And for that $20-$30 increase, you could have your emulation station yesterday, be enjoying it today, and anticipating new things tomorrow.

Absolutely no need, no need at all, to wait for this product. No need to fart around with kickstarter and the requisite delays. Because it's just a low-cost Windows computer with a decal on top!

A number of people have said the same, and yes anyone could buy an AK1 or similar themselves and have a Windows emulation unit for a fair amount more money, but there are a number of subtle differences. Firstly, they didn't use anybody else's off the shelf mini PC. They had China manufacturer's assemble the most features on a Pico ATX form factor board they could get while meeting their price point. They never claimed custom electronics, but what they made is every bit as custom as anything @tawee will do. Their boards were ordered to their design with the features they needed. Anybody can do the same with a competent order to a plant in China. It's like ordering a cake essentially. They're not using someone else's design, but the PCB is made/printed and components are assembled in China from common parts. If they could buy another board with the required features at the right price point, that would have been fine too. You rarely buy a TV made by the company with the name slapped on it anymore. It's called OEM and it's done constantly. This is not that. The reason it gets compared to the AcePC is because that's another, of several, units made with the same generic case that those manufacturer's can offer.

This is the first and only Kickstarter I've ever backed, and probably last. Not because I regret anything, but because so many are awful. I've followed these guys for a long time in their arcade cab business, and from the start, they had a solid clue about what they were doing. No pie in the sky; no stupid promises, etc. They were simply seeking to mass produce a retro gaming box at a good price point so they could reach a larger audience who may not be inclined to have a full size arcade cabinet in their house. They originally planned to have a mini box that looked a lot like the Atari 2600, but the important point was they were shooting for about $100 base unit price. That seems appropriate for the use case and it would be packaged with their front end and some games. It was when I learned Atari was screwing with them, that I decided to support them out of spite. Atari had their Kickstarter pulled down because they filed infringement claims on the fully licensed game packs these guys had already bought from @tawee and were going to include with the system. They were effectively going to be a reseller for the crusty old Atari vault, and Atari thought that would impact their own hair brained cluster scheme. Ultimately they were limited to the copies of Atari vault they had, so they couldn't offer it with the system for everyone. They collected licenses for around 100 other titles for the bulk of the units.

These guys had a few functioning units in the Atari-esque case on display and out for reviews when they launched their funding campaign. They told everyone what was in it, what it was for, who it was for, and why it was being made. They also let other people test it and tell their stories. They were also pretty transparent and never made any of their updates backer only to hide things. That was enough for me to award them with my support for setting an example to sleaze bags like Atari and FMTwo. Consistent with the way they've handled themselves, they are now offering the product for sale at a pretty decent price for what you get, and by ordering now, you avoid all the kickstarter horseshit. I think they should be praised for what they've done rather than accused of pulling a fast one. It ain't no Colosseum, but sure looks like a successfully executed project to me, especially given the fact that @tawee tried to squash it with their dick moves.

gallery_60562_2139_182596.jpg

Edited by JBerel
  • Like 7