IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Oh, Max...

I actually gave "Atari" about five months too much credit.

I understand, I too am tired of waiting and I'm impatient ... but now it is just a few days before May 30, 2018, we will not be disappointed in my opinion

I understand, I too am tired of waiting and I'm impatient ... but now it is just a few days before May 30, 2018, we will not be disappointed in my opinion

I completely agree that we won't be disappointed.

In order to be disappointed, you'd have to have set expectations of AtariVCSboxCorp, Inc. in the first place.

No expectations, no disappointment. Easy.

For fulfillment, I recommend tacos.

• Like 7

They still havent pulled their fingers out and made a REAL prototype... What a joke, playstations and xboxs are only getting cheaper by the day. Why would anyone want a product thats obsolete straight out the box. No way im paying $300 for a system to play 2600 Centipede. The Stella emulator is more then enough in my opinion. Now back to eating my Tacos

• Like 5

When I saw it on screen during Blade Runner 2049, I felt both excited and sad; it was a glimpse at an alternate future where Atari had remained the biggest video game company in the world.

I dunno. I'm probably just wistful. Maybe Atari deserves the position it finds itself in, and when this new VCS fails to make any sort of impact - beyond hundreds of articles following up pieces like this one, in which we all bleat "I told you so" - it will have been because Atari has once again demonstrated a stark lack of both self-awareness, and zero understanding of the modern games industry.

Just as we all knew the Jaguar was going to fail, so we see the Atari VCS grinding towards an inevitable oblivion, like watching a slow-motion car accident.

There's no excitement building, merely a weary sense of the inevitable.

https://www.digitiser2000.com/main-page/the-new-atari-vcs-is-doomed-to-fail

You know the other kids on Atari Age are saying we are a containment thread. Give to to me straight folks. Are we really a containment thread?

Yes. Absolutely. It's like the Pacific Ocean's garbage gyre. As the winds blow and currents flow, it all congregates here.

If that isn't enough "containment" for you. Then Tacos! Because Tacos are containment food. Because they are Tortilla folded in half to "contain" the contents, like lettuce, meat, cheese, and other stuffage.

• Like 4

I enjoy Mr. Biffo too.

But what's most troubling about the Atari VCS is what it represents; a lack of broader thinking. Atari appears to be ignoring the utter failure of the living room PC market to date. The Steam Machines seemed to offer the best hope of such technology gaining a foothold, but have - by Valve's own admission - not sold well.

Consequently - and entirely justifiably - there doesn't seem to be a single person expecting the Atari VCS to be anything other than an utter failure.

I write all this not because I want to revel in the inevitable failure of the Atari VCS, but because I think it's a shame.

I had an Atari 2600. I had an Atari ST. I coveted the Lynx, and - despite Atari's best efforts to convince me otherwise - I really wanted the Jaguar to succeed. Heck, I even own an Atari-branded laptop bag. That logo still gives me warm, fuzzy, feels. When I saw it on screen during Blade Runner 2049, I felt both excited and sad; it was a glimpse at an alternate future where Atari had remained the biggest video game company in the world.

I dunno. I'm probably just wistful. Maybe Atari deserves the position it finds itself in, and when this new VCS fails to make any sort of impact - beyond hundreds of articles following up pieces like this one, in which we all bleat "I told you so" - it will have been because Atari has once again demonstrated a stark lack of both self-awareness, and zero understanding of the modern games industry.

Just as we all knew the Jaguar was going to fail, so we see the Atari VCS grinding towards an inevitable oblivion, like watching a slow-motion car accident.

There's no excitement building, merely a weary sense of the inevitable.

Also: https://www.digitiser2000.com/main-page/10-obscure-atari-machines-that-you-never-even-knew-about

post-2410-0-15571900-1526322041.jpg

A "holographic" console unveiled by Atari in 1981, the Spector played games on a "holoptic" cylinder which dropped into the top of the machine, and spun around to offer 3D-ish visuals via three windows. Allowing up to three players to play simultaneously, the aim was to avoid fire past an opponent's shields - the shot passing along their "prong" to register a hit. As amazing as that sounds, and as cool as it looked, it never made it past the prototype stage.

As you'll have noted already, the Spector appeared to take inspiration from two famous pop culture murderers; it's aesthetics appeared to have been influenced by Darth Vader, and its name was clearly taken from the music producer Phil Spector.

Just go read Digitiser already, it's funny. I feel bad quoting him at such length here, but I know you're lazy like me and might not follow the links.

It's also sad to see some relics of other times a company called "Atari" chased a bunch of stupid fads without result. The Atari VCS (the real one) is the exception, not the rule.

• Like 6

I remember that and a few others that effectively used the old Pepper's Ghost reflective technique from 1860's for pseudo holograms.

It's a novelty to be sure, but I've been tinkering with an old lcd monitor and some plexi to make a kind of 3D gaming rig. The tricky part is the games need to be custom made for side views to work well, but even Galaxian or Space Invaders looks pretty neat in it as a 2D reflection. They have some star wars toy out now that uses the effect. I guess cuz of the required monitor rig, nobody has bothered to make a video game set with one. It's too bad cuz it could be pretty neat and more cost effective than something like the Vectrex these days.

• Like 1

I'd rather interpret some of those consoles/gadgets as experimental innovation. Some were creative, but, obviously, not workable for the long term. At least they were creative. This ataribox thing is.. is.. I don't know WHAT it is! But if you broaden your horizons and look elsewhere, you will find that ataribox already exists in one formfactor like so:

post-4806-0-21712800-1526320109.png

And if that isn't to your liking, you can get this when it comes out.

post-4806-0-40344700-1526320111.png

Key point is they are both box-shaped! And you damned well can't beat that. For bonus points, you can carry around your tacos in the box these boxes shipped in!

• Like 2

I'd rather interpret some of those consoles/gadgets as experimental innovation. Some were creative, but, obviously, not workable for the long term. At least they were creative. This ataribox thing is.. is.. I don't know WHAT it is! But if you broaden your horizons and look elsewhere, you will find that ataribox already exists in one formfactor like so:

attachicon.gif4480723.png

This is where the Dreamcade Replay will fill a nitch. The Intel NUC costs $129 with no memory or on-board storage. Ya gotta spend $212+ for 2 GB RAM and 32 GB storage.

For $129 the Replay ships with a wireless controller, 4GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, 100 games, and it's got a supported gaming front end. Wish it shipped in the Retron 77 case.

• Like 1

Everyone has been clamoring for specs on what's inside the box. Many suspect it's going to be made with readily available off-the-shelf parts. But..Wait! I'll do you one better and SHOW you what's INSIDE the box. This photo is of a real production model, consumed by consumers daily. So you know it's the real thing!

post-4806-0-43269400-1526322846.png

• Like 8

Today the FB page is bragging the VCS will have new games like Tempest 4000.

You know...a full year after everything else gets it. Even if this ends up being the best, most versatile console ever, the marketing effort has been an absolute train wreck.

• Like 11

And there are people complaining that it's too visually busy, LOL

Reminder: Tempest 4000 will be out in a month on real (as in, existing) game platforms like the Playstation 4, and will run on your mom's potato Netflix computer.

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

• MINIMUM:
    • OS: Windows 7 SP1 64bit, Windows 8.1 64bit, Windows 10 64bit
    • Processor: Intel Core i3-2120 CPU 3.30Ghz
    • Memory: 4 GB RAM
    • Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4600 or higher
    • DirectX: Version 10
    • Storage: 2 GB available space
    • Sound Card: Windows Compatible Sound card

Reminder: Tempest 4000 will be out in a month on real (as in, existing) game platforms like the Playstation 4, and will run on your mom's potato Netflix computer.

oh good I can play it on my 2008 era computer I use out in the garage to look up datasheets and watch tv

• Like 4

I remember that and a few others that effectively used the old Pepper's Ghost reflective technique from 1860's for pseudo holograms.

It's a novelty to be sure, but I've been tinkering with an old lcd monitor and some plexi to make a kind of 3D gaming rig. The tricky part is the games need to be custom made for side views to work well, but even Galaxian or Space Invaders looks pretty neat in it as a 2D reflection. They have some star wars toy out now that uses the effect. I guess cuz of the required monitor rig, nobody has bothered to make a video game set with one. It's too bad cuz it could be pretty neat and more cost effective than something like the Vectrex these days.

You can get hologram attachments for your phone on ebay and amazon. The screen shoots up onto the pyramid plastic. Pretty cool and simple.

Here's a cheap one

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3D-Hologram-Pyramid-Display-Projector-Video-Universal-for-Any-Smart-Cell-Phone/401191889785?epid=9018446378&hash=item5d68e66b79:g:1lUAAOSwAuZX4HiN

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2Pack-DIY-3D-Holographic-Projector-Pyramid-Mobile-Phone-Hologram-Box-Stand/132174333944?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D44039%26meid%3D4f90ff5a193f4842871d8f9f852d66f9%26pid%3D100010%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D401191889785%26itm%3D132174333944&_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109

Edited by BiffsGamingVideos

Even more disheartening than the people that don't seem to grok Minter games are the multiple variations of "Reminds me of the tempest I had with jaguar."

Derp.

I swear...going solely by the AtariVCS FB page there may actually be enough rubes to get this thing off the ground.

• Like 3