IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Can't believe there's no 7800 or Jag stuff on there. That would have made it a lot more interesting.

For the general audience, it probably would make absolutely no difference. For the die hard Atari fans, yes it might but many of those fans are sceptics to start with.

FWIW, I'm unsure if I've ever seen a 7800 in real life, much less played a game on it. I only have very vague ideas about its capacities. I have briefly played the Jaguar once or twice, total play time perhaps 10 minutes through my entire life but as I've seen it in flesh, I'd rate it a bit higher in order of importance. Though I don't know how good Jaguar emulators there exists for Linux, and what would run smoothly on the given hardware.

I haven't played an awful lot of Atari ST games neither, but at least twice as much as the Jaguar. It might be easier for emulators to chew.

Besides, I'm not sure that Atari really wants this new VCS box to be known mainly as an emulation console for older Atari systems. Putting too much focus on emulating everything once Atari would soon make it look like a luxury version of an Atari Flashback rather than a current generation console that has some built-in legacy games support.

• Like 2

I'll admit that I still like the overall design, but the way in which the case is assembled just doesn't really matter to me.

It's a static object. How it all fits together doesn't really matter because it's designed to sit on a shelf and not really be interacted with except through its controllers, which are wireless and some distance away from the actual item. As long as the case can let out enough heat that it won't fry itself while running, the method of assembly is pretty much irrelevant.

200w.gif

Thanks for your Post.

It seems to me that the Haters here are so irritated by the success that they are now beginning to critisize the package.

This business model is not going to work. History has shown that. A successful campaign means jack because of that big elephant in the room. The OUYA launched their campaign for similar reasons. They had the funds from other investors but had to prove it with a successful campaign to get it and said they wanted the community involved. Other than the backers they got over 10 million from investors but only ended up with a user base around 200,000. They didn't make enough money in software sales to pay back the investors so they had to sell OUYA to Razer. Razer has a huge budget and still couldn't make it successful by putting the OUYA Discover store on their Forge TV. That actually made things worse and slowed down the pace of submitted games even more because why would a developer put a game on the OUYA Discover store only for the Forge TV when they could just submit the game for Google Play to get on all Android TV devices including the Forge TV? Atari is making the same mistake with the difference being that they are starting where OUYA was at with the Forge TV because why would a developer put a game in Atari's store just for the Atari VCS when they can just submit it to the Ubuntu Software Center for all devices that run Ubuntu including the Atari VCS? It makes no sense and won't work. If Atari was just selling it as a Ubuntu computer with a fancy case and controllers to only make money on the hardware sales then it might work and fit within the niche of Linux computers but a model based on software sales wont. That requires a user base in the BILLIONS or there is no reason for a developer to submit games. To put this in perspective, all Linux gamers combined aren't even in the billions. That is why Steam machines have failed just like the OUYA, Forge TV, and others. Software sales from a dedicated console? Hell no. Hardware sales from a niche Ubuntu computer? Maybe. Simple as that.

• Like 7

It's a static object. How it all fits together doesn't really matter because it's designed to sit on a shelf and not really be interacted with except through its controllers, which are wireless and some distance away from the actual item. As long as the case can let out enough heat that it won't fry itself while running, the method of assembly is pretty much irrelevant.

It's relevant if it costs more than fewer, simpler parts would, if it doesn't give any net benefit in terms of cooling or other functionality.

• Like 2

Thanks for your Post.

It seems to me that the Haters here are so irritated by the success that they are now beginning to critisize the package.

You're welcome!

There are other things we could criticise about the AtariVCSbox, too. Feel free to suggest one, or perhaps I could pick one for you. Suggested topics include penny stocks, the continuing absence of a functional prototype, or the rather inconvenient need to still build and ship both the hardware and software.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

• Like 8

200w.gif

Thanks for your Post.

I am not irritated actually pleasantly interested

I have never hated on this thing but I have constantly laughed at it cause the entire project is projectile vomiting red flags

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 7

It's relevant if it costs more than fewer, simpler parts would, if it doesn't give any net benefit in terms of cooling or other functionality.

I already made that point but...

No no no lets have a case design that requires as many parts as gigs of storage

Most people bought 4 or 5 yesterday they can just network them so no biggie

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 1

I am not irritated actually pleasantly interested

I have never hated on this thing but I have constantly laughed at it cause the entire project is projectile vomiting red flags

Also, the people continually enamored with it, and willing to believe every bit of marketing tripe, is a fascinating study into herd mentality and willful ignorance. It's a very relevant cautionary tale that serves as another fore-bearer of our ultimate end as a species.

skynet-google2-1.jpggiphy.gif

post-39941-0-57509500-1527771738.gif

I don't think anything about the case matters, since nothing was promised but the shape. Even then, they could "revise" the shape just like the Dreamarcade Replay did. They could even claim it was requested by the community. Whatever special cooling feature built into the current model is moot since it's not mentioned on IGG at all.

And alexkeaton, new information invites new praise or skepticism.

post-39941-0-35854000-1527770359.jpg

Don't know about the branding, not into tribal identity, much, but I've been watching the development of these entry-level integrated chip-sets, like the Ryzen, that seemingly can handle anything that can be thrown at them at 720/medium or better (Witcher 3 is one of the games I'm thinking of, as it is a ridiculously intensive game, engine-wise, with a lot of physics, etc.) and probably will for the next several years or so. They're just at the thresh-hold of being "good-enough" for my personal gaming interests (720p, decent visuals, playable frame-rates), or at least enough to tempt me to dip my toe into modern gaming, as I'm also a cheap-skate and the thought of investing significant money into the hobby gives me pause. icon_wink.gif

Don't know about the branding, not into tribal identity, much, but I've been watching the development of these entry-level integrated chip-sets, like the Ryzen, that seemingly can handle anything that can be thrown at them at 720/medium or better (Witcher 3 is one of the games I'm thinking of, as it is a ridiculously intensive game, engine-wise, with a lot of physics, etc.) and probably will for the next several years or so. They're just at the thresh-hold of being "good-enough" for my personal gaming interests (720p, decent visuals, playable frame-rates), or at least enough to tempt me to dip my toe into modern gaming, as I'm also a cheap-skate and the thought of investing significant money into the hobby gives me pause. icon_wink.gif

There's no Linux version of Witcher 3, which means it won't run on AtariBox unless you're prepared to dick around in WINE for a long time and maybe sorta get it going. I think that defeats the purpose of what is supposed to be a plug-n-play console-style computer. Even if Atari hits all of its schedule goals, their box is still a year out, at which time Witcher 3 will be a full 4 years old.

I get the sense a lot of people not into the PC gaming scene are overestimating the number of Linux native games out there. Yes there are way more than there used to be, and if you don't have a gaming PC, some is more than none. The selection is a LOT smaller than on Windows or even Macintosh, though, and many Linux games are not optimized for the OS like they are for Windows.

Your best hardware bet for games like Witcher 3 is a little-known, well-hidden underground system called the "Playstation 4." There are shloads of software for it, and you needn't spend a lot of money or wait a year to have fun.

• Like 2

Can anyone tell me what the game is at that 1 minute mark? Kind of looks like Trevor McFur, but I never got that far in it.

LOL it does have that same tacky CGI look as Trevor.

I'm trying to figure that out myself. My first guess was Sine Mora, but this seems more cartoony, almost like a mobile game. Almost like Jets-n-Guns (which is a Linux gamer fave along with Tux Racer) but I'll bet some shmup aficionado would know for sure. This kind of game should run fine on AtariBox ... and on just about anything else, too. There are lots of games like these.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

I figured it out. You probably can, too. It's nothing as interesting as my guesses.

Hints: Look along the left edge. Then imagine instead of a waterfall, an electrical storm.

Can anyone tell me what the game is at that 1 minute mark? Kind of looks like Trevor McFur, but I never got that far in it.

I'm trying to figure that out myself. My first guess was Sine Mora, but this seems more cartoony, almost like a mobile game. Almost like Jets-n-Guns (which is a Linux gamer fave along with Tux Racer) but I'll bet some shmup aficionado would know for sure. This kind of game should run fine on AtariBox ... and on just about anything else, too. There are lots of games like these.

giphy.gif

It's their "update" of Yars' Revenge as seen on their website as a (terrible) Flash game.

giphy.gif

• Like 3

giphy.gif

I believe the better question would be:

What's that new Tempest game that we saw?

Edited by Atari PAC-MAN Fan

I believe the better question would be:

What's that new Tempest game that we saw?

I would have assumed you're joking, but you also posted this ...

Its name was the "Ataribox" before. Now they're just calling it the Atari VCS?

Why?

The Tempest game is Tempest 4000 and it's coming out on PC and PS4 on June 12th 2018, Xbox One after a little delay, and in a year, AtariBox/VCS.

They're using the VCS name because their marketing tests told them it would get more attention that way.

• Like 1

I would have assumed you're joking, but you also posted this ...

The Tempest game is Tempest 4000 and it's coming out on PC and PS4 on June 12th 2018, Xbox One after a little delay, and in a year, AtariBox/VCS.

They're using the VCS name because their marketing tests told them it would get more attention that way.

In that case...........

Sorry for being late and not doing the research..... :|

Its name was the "Ataribox" before. Now they're just calling it the Atari VCS?

Why?

I for one am thankful that they changed the name, because if they had kept the name AtariBox it would have made searching for boxed games on Ebay and pain in the ass.