IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

I for one don't hate the console. I also did not back it.

I think there is a lot of hate towards it. Some warranted and some not. I hear the same thing about the Flashbacks every year. People hate them, where's the cart slot, its not 100% accurate or whatever.

Like it or not but some people are wanting a new Atari product. I had some friends interested in a new company competing. I have an Xbox1 and don't see myself getting the next gen. So I will probably go back to the big N.

I want to see what it can do or offer before I would drop that money. Or I could go buy a Switch that I know is awesome for the same price.

• Like 3

I for one don't hate the console. I also did not back it.

I think there is a lot of hate towards it. Some warranted and some not. I hear the same thing about the Flashbacks every year. People hate them, where's the cart slot, its not 100% accurate or whatever.

Like it or not but some people are wanting a new Atari product. I had some friends interested in a new company competing. I have an Xbox1 and don't see myself getting the next gen. So I will probably go back to the big N.

I want to see what it can do or offer before I would drop that money. Or I could go buy a Switch that I know is awesome for the same price.

I just wanted to say that the Switch is an amazing console / portable hybrid. Worth every penny. I really love mine.

On topic, my support of the VCS was really just gambling. I made my purchase with found money that I won from a scratch off ticket. I'm still not entirely convinced this project is anything more than a nostalgia based cash run. A hit and run funding project. I will say the sweet looking retro controller really bolsters my confidence in the project, as does the sudden and overwhelming response to the funding campaign. I guess we'll have to wait and see. That's part of the excitement for me.

• Like 1

i will say i backed the $29 joystick- it seemed like a decent price point and even if the thing never materializes i've certainly spent the money on dumber stuff, lol. i think the stick looks pretty cool so i'm willing to gamble on it.

that being said, i can't bring myself to drop 200-300 bucks on a console that may or may not even come out with a feature set that i have absolutely no interest in.

streaming? i have multiple devices between my home stuff and my mobile stuff. atari stuff? i already own a 2600 and am over the moon with it. games? i already own Atari Vault on Steam and if i was just dying to i'd setup my SteamBox (which btw is still in its original box) and stream it or just stream from my computer to my TV. i have games on our xbox, games on the 3DS, games on my TI, games on my 2600- an all-in-one solution that sits under my tv just feels like a novelty that i'd get sick of after 3 months. i love my SNES classic to death, but once the initial 'new' wore off, i find myself dusting it off about a week spread out over a month.

as they say, i'm 'not in the targeted buyer group' lol- i guess at this point my main dog in the hunt is just to see what the heck happens since it looks like only around 6000-ish of the units are sold so far. (feel free to correct me on my 'fuzzy' math)

Meh. If I want to play Atari games on my TV, I'll buy the real Atari VCS that came out in 1977.

Or the dozens of other ways you can play them on the TV. Some of those devices run Netflix, et al, too, easy enough for that are a bit challenged with technology.

Off topic from quoting this... I don't think even the Wii U can be dragged into the conversation. Sure, it was far from a smashing success, but it sold around 6.5 million units in the US alone. That is probably too high of a bar for the Atari VCS. I couldn't get a number for how many Ouya systems were sold, but if I recall, it raised over $8 million during it's campaign (and correct me if I am wrong, but didn't they have a prototype or at least more than just a plastic case)? Well, look how the Ouya did. The Atari VCS has to clear that bar by quite a bit to even have modest success, and I don't things going in the right direction for that to happen. For it to clear any kind of bar, it has to exist first.

Yawn.... wake me up once a couple million units are sold or when the whole thing eventually self destructs.

Edited by cybercylon

Or the dozens of other ways you can play them on the TV. Some of those devices run Netflix, et al, too, easy enough for that are a bit challenged with technology.

Off topic from quoting this... I don't think even the Wii U can be dragged into the conversation. Sure, it was far from a smashing success, but it sold around 6.5 million units in the US alone. That is probably too high of a bar for the Atari VCS. I couldn't get a number for how many Ouya systems were sold, but if I recall, it raised over $8 million during it's campaign (and correct me if I am wrong, but didn't they have a prototype or at least more than just a plastic case)? Well, look how the Ouya did. The Atari VCS has to clear that bar by quite a bit to even have modest success, and I don't things going in the right direction for that to happen. For it to clear any kind of bar, it has to exist first.

Yawn.... wake me up once a couple million units are sold or when the whole thing eventually self destructs.

Did a rough tally on the Ouya kickstarter and they sold 67,000 units. So the Atari VCS needs to do about 9.5 times what they have currently done to match that. Even with that many units, the top selling game for the Ouya only sold about 7,000 copies, which isn't anywhere near enough for a developer to waste time and resources on.

• Like 6

The really sad thing is that this could have been an amazing little system with a dedicated fan base if they had done it properly. Instead of trying to duplicate the features of the X-box and PS4 (Netflix, youtube, etc) and instead focused on the hardcore fans (i.e. us) they could have had something.

Just off the top of my head, develop software so that makes it easy for budding developers to create new Atari 2600 software (they are doing it for the NES so it should be a relative piece of cake to do it for the 2600). Then have an online marketplace through the Atari VCS system where developers can sell their games for a couple of bucks.

The really sad thing is that this could have been an amazing little system with a dedicated fan base if they had done it properly. Instead of trying to duplicate the features of the X-box and PS4 (Netflix, youtube, etc) and instead focused on the hardcore fans (i.e. us) they could have had something.

Just off the top of my head, develop software so that makes it easy for budding developers to create new Atari 2600 software (they are doing it for the NES so it should be a relative piece of cake to do it for the 2600). Then have an online marketplace through the Atari VCS system where developers can sell their games for a couple of bucks.

What you describe sounds interesting, though probably not profitable. I get the sense Atari SA is doing this to polish up their "hardware" reputation, even if that just means re-boxing someone else's stuff.

A VCS Game Construction Kit would be neat ... Xbox Live Indie (Community) Games comes to mind, as does GameSalad, as does GameMaker, as does Unity or Unreal or ... https://lifehacker.com/the-best-free-tools-for-making-your-own-video-games-1689905461

The Atari 2600 is peculiar because it's so tied to the technology of the day, a CRT television, which nobody has anymore ... and also relies on assembly language so would be crazy hard for people to learn on. Something similar is PICO-8, a "fantasy console" with retro-style aesthetics but more modern programming tools. It is so neat ... but I seriously doubt it's a moneymaker.

It should be abundantly clear that thinking like a geek isn't in the current Atari's DNA ... I wonder if the licensing train is slowing down, because their public statements have been more about cryptocurrency, internet of things, and other less geeky pursuits.

They could still surprise us, I suppose, but that seems less and less likely, especially now that they've "built a crowd" by taking money in advance of sending out cheap linux mini-PCs.

I mean, really. "Limited time only." These guys only have a few moves in them, and making a user-friendly development environment just for the fans isn't one of them.

post-2410-0-24342400-1527882511_thumb.png

• Like 3

What i would like to know from you doubters is:

Why is it Ataris fault if other Companies had tricked the customers with previous projects?

Is it not the american spirit that everybody is innocent until he is proven guilty?

This is very prejudice indeed,

Lets say you got screwed from two Men which had the same colour of the skin or or a certain Religion or Race.

Do you automatically pledge him guilty and a liar if a third Guy with the same skin color or race if he promises you something?

Does he than has no chance?

I give everybody a new chance until his guilt is proven.

There is of course a certain decent amount of a natural mistrust but everybody deserves a chance.

I think Atari is on a good way and they are doing their best with their small capabilities.

With your attitude nobody should ever support crodfunding again.

To build a prototype is the easiest thing to do if you want to trick people and get a Million Dollars and run away.

So a prototype is not a reason for me to make a difference to give 300 Dollars easier than with no prototype.

Crowdfunding is always about trust.

But if 2 companies screwed you it is not Ataris fault and it is not an evidence that the next company will screw you too.

Of course it can happen but it can happen anytime with anybody.

I think that Atari is on a good way. They had a sloppy start but a lot of things looks ok for me. Not perfect at all and far from being smooth but enough that my intuition says to me that they a really trying to build this company up

and beginning to coming back to the market. They changed personell to a better way and i think there is more to come within the next years.

Edited by alexkeaton

Why is it Ataris fault if other Companies had tricked the customers with previous projects?

Is it not the american spirit that everybody is innocent until he is proven guilty?

Lets say you got screwed from two Men which had the same colour of the skin or or a certain Religion or Race.

Do you automatically pledge him guilty and a liar if a third Guy with the same skin color or race if he promises you something?

There is of course a certain decent amount of a natural mistrust but everybody deserves a chance.

I think Atari is on a good way and they are doing their best with their small capabilities.

To build a prototype is the easiest thing to do if you want to trick people and get a Million Dollars and run away.

So a prototype is not a reason for me to make a difference to give 300 Dollars easier than with no prototype.

But if 2 companies screwed you it is not Ataris fault and it is not an evidence that the next company will screw you too.

I think that Atari is on a good way. They had a sloppy start but a lot of things looks ok for me. Not perfect at all and far from being smooth but enough that my intuition says to me that they a really trying to build this company up

and beginning to coming back to the market. They changed personell to a better way and i think there is more to come within the next years.

What in god's name did I just read?

• Like 10

The ramblings of a cocksu*cough*sycoph*cough*apologist. :)

Seriously, this guy has the same attitude that I've seen from people in abusive relationships.

Just because you have a group of people who have left screwed over customers in their wake, again and again, doesn't mean they won't...you know...DO IT AGAIN?

To all of you apologists: You guys are the reason that con artists flourish.

-Thom

Edited by tschak909
  • Like 2

Was looking for another post and saw this little gem:

if we're taking bets, i'm gonna guess fixed funding with a medium sized goal that's still far too low for making a console (100k-250k), but they'll put their own money in to force it to the goal and artificially inflate the appearance of interest. kind of a soft flex funding.

• Like 2

I gotta say I love Atariage. Where else can I get quality entertainment like this on the internet?

• Like 4

This thread is getting increasingly... shitty...

Why dont yall just wait till it comes out then make judgements?

Im not liking the hostile vibe... peace...

Why doesn't "Atari" wait until release to ask people for their money? Are we not allowed to have opinions about a situation where a for-profit venture is asking people to risk hundreds of dollars a year or more in advance when they don't even have an actual prototype or any track record of being able to pull off what they are purportedly collecting the money to do?

• Like 3

wtf is this crazy stuff?

• Like 8

and beginning to coming back to the market. They changed personell to a better way and i think there is more to come within the next yeaWha

2f542ed31e475768d9572511f688a2af4de86fae

I'm done.

Edited by Atari PAC-MAN Fan