IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

I second this approach. I do think this forum could use a bit less vitriol in its responses that come up from time to time... Despite all the shortcomings of the new VCS, I personally can't see any good reason for some to get this worked up about it. Maybe I'm in the minority on this, who knows.

Instead of calling the one guy a troll for wanting a modern Atari console/media center, maybe we should be more welcoming and hope that something like the new VCS will bring him here and direct him towards awesome new homebrews that he can maybe play on his VCS if I comes out. IDK or maybe be like, "hey you seem to like Atari. Have you ever set up Stella and played 'x'?"

IDK Maybe I'm just grumpy and just need some more sleep.

You two are being far to open and tolerant to be in this thread and you should be publically chastised unmercilessly.

Edited by The Historian
  • Like 2

You two are being far to open and tolerant to be in this thread and you should be publically chastised unmercilessly.

Well if someone is honestly excited about the VCS then we are more than happy to provide alternatives and educate them on other products.

That's not the case with this guy.

• Like 2

I second this approach. I do think this forum could use a bit less vitriol in its responses that come up from time to time... Despite all the shortcomings of the new VCS, I personally can't see any good reason for some to get this worked up about it. Maybe I'm in the minority on this, who knows.

There has been some awesome work that has come from this community and it sometimes comes across as being a bunch of d**** when stuff like this comes up and newbies show up. Honestly if the system is a flop they will probably understand why people were being critical of it.

Then we can have that welcome to the cynical party. Now instead of playing on a crap box check out this awesome port of Baby Pac Man on 7800 (or whatever the newest WIP you've liked).

I don't see the point in being a ass to a guy that (if you hate the box) believe will be losing money on something that doesn't come out. Losing money on a failed project will be his loss not the cynics. Driving people away from this community will be our loss.

Let him be excited.

Well if someone is honestly excited about the VCS then we are more than happy to provide alternatives and educate them on other products.

That's not the case with this guy.

Has anyone tried to engage him about other products beyond "that isn't Atari and sucks you suck suckity suck suck taco?"

The thread responses have generally been fine. The one guy called a troll is called one because he's a troll. He has heard all the arguments but ignores them. Just two or three weeks ago he claimed he didn't like what Atari was doing and supposedly sold all his Atari SA stock. Fast forward to the IGG and suddenly he's back to willfully ignoring points and throwing bombs. But hey, he's the victim, amirite?

Dare we even talk about shills? I mean, more than one person in this thread looks to make money or build a resume from Atari's success. But it's the skeptics that are awful?

I, personally, try to stop short of calling people idiots for backing this--but I also recognize I've done equally stupid things, if not worse.

I'm glad to see you've interacted with another area of the website, unlike one particular troll. He seems to be drawn only two two AtariVCS-related threads. Weird.

• Like 7

If anyone is truly interested in cool stuff, all they have to do is pick another thread at random to read up on any number of neat projects going on in the community. It takes a special kind a canker soared troll to continually and deliberately enter a thread to drop goblin farts, unicorn quifes, or self promote his investor prowess when said thread is clearly critical of a highly questionable money grab by a holding company playing to nostalgia and I'll informed fans. It's almost as bad as attention seeking promoters with dubious intent and/or inside knowledge trying to manage the group think of a community that's not buying the B.S. they're being served.

• Like 4

there are people who want Atari games. People will talk about Atari games but won't care about this community/homebrew scene.

...the common person doesn't give two craps about homebrews even if they like the Atari. They care about what they grew up with and that is it. They don't care about who the ''spiritual successor is to the real Atari' and probably is more interested in a media box.

Exactly.

You know what:

I dont care who owns Atari. It doesnt matter to me if it was bought by other people.

Most companies nowadays doesnt have their original owners or founders.

I know the Name Atari and i feel very good with it because i have so many good memories with that Name.

Just like he said it: "They care about what they grew up with and that is it".

I also dont care how much Memory is inside the Box and what Processor is used.

When i was a kid, nobody cared about something like that. We never cared what the Super Nintendo or Game Boy had for a Processor or Memory Space or whatever.

I dont care if the new Atari has 4GB Memory or 8GB. I will plug it into my TV and play some old Games, hope for new interesting Games or remasters of classic Games and look what else it can do. Maybe i will watch my Netflix only with this console.

If i dont like the Console i will throw it away or sell it on ebay.

I could buy a Raspberry Pie to play old Games..but i dont want to. I made bad experiences with this kind of self made Systems with Emulators.

I bought two Xbox Original Consoles with Coinops and both went out of order in only a few weeks. I lost about 200 Dollars and A LOT OF TIME AND NERVES to try to make it work again.

I dont expect Triple A Games on the new Atari. Thats why i have my PS4 and XboX One.

The high price is not a negative factor for me. A lot of products nowadays are overpriced. I dont understand why you excuse Nintendo with their high price and these tiny insufficient controllers but blame a small company like Atari who can never compete with prices from the major companies. Its like accusing the Grocery Store from next door ran by Grandpa that he doesnt offer you the prices like the worlds biggest Supermarkets.

Considering that Atari just came out of bankruptcy and you all seem to forget that they cant compete with prices of Billion Dollar Companies like Microsoft or Apple.

The small Atari company has other price calculations and way less production numbers. You said it by yourself. They only have about 25 people who work there. How could they offer prices like Nintendo? And to be honest: Nintendo is also pretty pricy.

The price is one thing and the missing controller is another thing what i dont understand from you.

Literally everybody i know had to buy an additional Controller for the Switch because the included Controllers were a joke. They are good for the Handheld Modus but ridicilous for long hour sessions for Zelda or Mario.

With the Atari Console you can use ANY other Controller. I am not sure but i can imagine that Nintendo has restrictions for that because they want to make extra money. So a Switch doesnt costs 329 Euros when it came out but instead 389 Euros with this extra purchase...and there was not a single Game included to play with. Nobody complained.

The 1.2.3.Switch Game which was rather a Demo was sold to a full price. Nobody complained.

But it doesnt matter what Atari does, everybody is complaining.

Edited by alexkeaton

I don't disagree with you except on one point

Nintendo, microsoft, sony, apple and all the other billion dollar companies have product to sell

Atari just got a 3 million dollar grant, and have no reason other than reputation to not just take the money and run ... what's their reputation like, some meh celphone games, a collection on steam, gameband?

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 1

Ya know, many people on this thread have given this guy the benefit of the doubt for some time. To his credit, most genuinely don't believe he is as ignorant, or willfully ignorant as his posts suggest. As in, his tendency to continually attempt to equate a Linux box ordered by 8 guys at a holding company with the latest products from Nintendo or Sony. It's clear when reading his posts, and looking at his involvement in these forums, that there is deliberate intent behind his screwball "aw shucks" routine. That intent is to appologize and obfuscate all the glaring red flags in everything the Atari holding company has been doing in the last several months from their fraudulent marketing of a Linux box they still need a year to produce, to their shifty stock pump and dump routines. The agenda is also clearly to associate the object of criticism to much more credible products in an effort to elevate its profile or legitimacy. It's also clear that English is not his first language, maybe French is. So short of flat out calling it as I see it, I'll just be generous and point out what most already assume, the guy has a trolling agenda, and has had since the minute he joined. Weather it's in some official capacity, or some bizarre self appointed one will be left to the readers. But don't ask me to extend additional courtesies, he's already been given enough rope, and he's hung himself a few times, just like Feargal's wannabe compatriots have.

• Like 6

If anyone is truly interested in cool stuff, all they have to do is pick another thread at random to read up on any number of neat projects going on in the community.

But why would they bother looking?

Someone comes here by way of this thread because they are excited by the nostalgia that the new system is offering. They see anyone with a positive outlook ridiculed, possibly personally insulted and/or otherwise told to f* off. Even if they never post or join, they get to read it all.

You make them feel unwelcome and unwanted in "your" community because, "that's not your Atari".

What on earth makes you think they would even want to look around after that?

They say you get one chance to make a first impression...

How do you think this community has done in this thread?

• Like 2

Someone comes here by way of this thread because they are excited by the nostalgia that the new system is offering. They see anyone with a positive outlook ridiculed, possibly personally insulted and/or otherwise told to f* off. Even if they never post or join, they get to read it all.

You make them feel unwelcome and unwanted in "your" community because, "that's not your Atari".

Again, he was given the benefit of the doubt at first and squandered it by being a troll. Stop acting like he was attacked as soon as he showed up.

And this community has responded perfectly to his posts

Edited by TheVgaTv
  • Like 4

At the risk of opening myself up to being held up as an example of what you are trying to say is wrong with this thread (and also the community), I'm going to say that this is an extremely disingenuous set of statements on your behalf. There are several reasons why I say this:

• They completely gloss over the many, many mistakes that Atari SA, Feargal Mac Conulaidh, and others have made throughout the process of this device's launch (which have been documented and analysed in this thread and elsewhere)
  • They completely ignore the fact that we're not the only ones raising concerns over it (The Register, CUPodcast, etc.)
  • This assumes that people have come into this thread with no intent of acting on Atari SA's behalf when they have in fact done the exact opposite
  • This assumes that there are not people participating in this thread because they stand to financially benefit from Atari SA's stock through manipulation of the community, which is also not the case
  • And, finally, it presumes that simply because we disagree with someone they're being attacked and / or ostracised from the rest of the community solely because of the views that they hold as opposed to their actions related to stating those views

And, since you enquire: I think that the community has - for the most part - been pretty level-headed on both sides of the discussion. Not always (and I include myself in that), but overall generally accepting of others' views. But what nobody wants - regardless of which side of the fence they're on - is proselytising, and just because the side that one happens to agree with does it does not make it any more right than when the other side engages in the same behaviour.

Further, as someone who has given you the benefit of the doubt on several occasions in this thread, it's extremely disappointing to me to see you taking this approach. You are well aware of the history here, and ignoring it in an attempt to build a case that we're completely rejecting of new users is just utterly inexplicable to me. Clearly, that benefit of the doubt was sorely misplaced on my behalf.

• Like 6

Ok...let me splain it to you.....no, there is no time, let me sum up. Feargal started this project by lying and conning people into believe it was something it is not. He was fired because he couldn't even do that competently enough. He's also lied and conned his way through two other crowdfunding projects, and you, by your own admission, have enabled him, supported his efforts, and pushed his lies either voluntarily or through some back channel arrangement. In either case, you're clearly interested in fooling hapless supporters for financial gain, weather it be yours or someone else's.

• Like 2

When i was a kid, nobody cared about something like that. We never cared what the Super Nintendo or Game Boy had for a Processor or Memory Space or whatever.

When I was a kid, I made do with whatever my parents bought me.

When I started making my own buying decisions, it was based on what games were exclusive to the system. Maybe it was Sonic. Maybe it was Mario. Maybe it was Gran Turismo. It was never by what logo was on the console.

Nevermind my original Atari stuff that I still have...I've also got a Flashback 7. If I really needed HDMI to get my warm fuzzies, a FB8 Gold is just a little more. I honestly don't give a crap what's in the new VCS case, either...but given that it has ZERO exclusives right now, and it's the same price as other more capable consoles, and it (thus far) hasn't shown anything other than the Atari Vault, and given that the "reimagined" titles "Atari" has released over the past few years have been utter trash, that should rule it out for anyone other than pure brand slaves or the terminally ignorant. If someone wants one "just because," that's fine. At this point though, there isn't a single competitive advantage this thing has, not one logical reason to buy. Plain and simple.

• Like 6

When I started making my own buying decisions, it was based on what games were exclusive to the system. Maybe it was Sonic. Maybe it was Mario. Maybe it was Gran Turismo. It was never by what logo was on the console.

This, I buy game consoles bases on software lineup and what I wanted to play. IE when PS2 came out, meh ok its cool and all, but "we got GTA3" dude I am there

Ataribawx VCS SA doesnt have a "dude I am there" presence for me, they are asking me to give a 200-300 dollar grant based on good wishes and a promise ... from a company who has a horrid track record of delivering products under their control or licence

I am glad people are excited and willing to put their wallet where their ass is but its not for me, and thus I am a hater on the 19th degree, and since I am not kissing alex's ass ruining the community as per the moral standards of an on the atari payroll shill

btw historian what was your title again, community something, whatever it was you suck ass at it

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 2

I appreciate the feedback. Was there a specific aspect of my community something skills that I particularly sucks ass at?

I think it was the part about maintaining credibility while you seek to change the tone of online conversations and squelch dissenting opinions to support the agenda of companies and individuals seeking to profit from those parties at any means necessary.

• Like 10