IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

can anyone confirm that?!?

I can't prove that he didn't. AtariBox wins! Everybody get out your credit cards.

I vaguely remember him making an offhand comment about AtariBox during the kerfuffle over his GDC not-award. Something to the effect of, "yes, that's inevitable." Nothing about it on his twitter or his blog.

Not that it matters ... Nolan hasn't been relevant to gaming in a very very very long time. His endorsement would mean even less than having Sir Clive's endorsement of the Spectrum Vega, which is still missing in action.

• Like 3

You described Retro VGS/Coleco Chameleon, not Atari. Atari, SA employs attorneys and marketing/PR companies that cost $5000-15000 per month.

They only cost that much if you pay them. Rumors in the campaign comments suggest that maybe they were fired. Like many of the AtariBox fan theories, such as "the Tempest thing was debunked," they're repeating it as if it's truth. All we have is circumstantial evidence -- they haven't posted to the campaign or social media in many days now.

Perhaps they pulled a Mike Kennedy and let someone else control the passwords to their accounts? :P "I'm not a crook, I'm just disqualifyingly stupid!"

Campaign is down 11 backers and a thousand dollars since last time I checked. Still nothing from the "official" sources. What a way to run a campaign.

post-2410-0-94209400-1530021627.png

• Like 2

He was strident in his defense of AtariBox on Twitter, too. Name of @bomerneetv

Could just be seeking attention, I guess -- because his arguments are quite illogical and don't seem like anything an intellectually honest person would say. More like a kid picking and defending a side in a debate without really understanding the issues. D-

I'm not even sure if I want to link this ... he's so obviously an attention-seeking twit I almost hate to fuel the fire. It's kinda funny though. I went to his twitter and saw this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEjqW63acVk

Hey guys how are you doing! I hope you are having a fantastic week so far! I have deleted all the videos from the last few days regarding the entire VCS situation. I felt very passionately about what I have done and I stand by my actions and will take full responsibility for what I have done. There's a very good reason I have done what I have done because as a gamer who is interested in technology, rumors and speculations I feel that the rumors and speculations regarding a certain product have been completely wrong and I have been MISLED into doubting a project that I may have supported, had I had more information regarding this. I trusted other outlets and news sources regarding The Atari VCS without checking what the REAL facts where about the product. I have been a victim of FAKE NEWS and I am very hurt about this. To anyone who is reporting I would like to request to you, please do not put your own emotional biased on rumours and speculations as you may mislead people who would be interested in the project. I have had less awareness regarding The Atari VCS and I am SORRY to MY audience that I have not kept them informed about this possibly exciting and interesting project. I am not a reliable source of information, I do not have any industry inside contacts, I make my assumptions, guesses, speculations on the information that I have at hand.

Somebody else watch it and report back and share what you think he's playing at. I looked at the transcript and it's a bunch of word salad like "I don't know anything, don't listen to me." I haven't got time to listen to this nimrod.

• Like 1

Somebody else watch it and report back and share what you think he's playing at. I looked at the transcript and it's a bunch of word salad like "I don't know anything, don't listen to me." I haven't got time to listen to this nimrod.

That was odd. There were a couple times I thought he had second thoughts about supporting AVCS, but then his next line would contradict that.

Sounds like he just wants to wash his hands of the whole thing. Whether it's because of "AVCS haters" or embarrassment, I know not.

• Like 2

Ain't nobody got time for that. :P

• Like 4

Sounds like he's trying to say the AtariCrate is still amazingly awesome and you should totally buy one, even though he can't back that up, and everyone who's against the AtariCrate is a hater and lying... even though they CAN back up their criticisms.

TLDR- "I'm so right I don't even need to talk about it. Buy Atari."

• Like 1

I'm not even sure if I want to link this ... he's so obviously an attention-seeking twit I almost hate to fuel the fire. It's kinda funny though. I went to his twitter and saw this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEjqW63acVk

We've all been debuffed again.

• Like 3

Posit:

We live in a world where anyone can now communicate with anyone in very public spaces.

It has decimated the existing institutional trust structures, where we have gotten our information.

Investigative journalism can be done by anyone.

Consequence: Through repeated observation, it has been shown, that those centers of trust are as easily corruptible to special interest as any individual or decentralized hub of information.

Result: Pretty soon, nobody believes anything from anyone.

Conclusion: We need to grow better bullshit filters.

And the utter confusion, bedlam; pandemonium that has erupted over this and the Chameleon has shown that we have a long way to go, before we get any good at doing this.

both in terms of people who have reasonably verifiable truth, getting it out there, and in terms of the public wading through and finding it and being able to use critical thinking skills to be able to discern "shit" from "shinola"

We can all thank the fathers of modern media and advertising, for this mess. but I digress.

I have no stake in this game. Zero. Since Curt Vendel has outed himself publically, he can speak to the things he's talked about. All I can say is, that I've known Curt for a very long time, and that he not only has worked with this and previous incarnations of the company, making actual products that many of you have in your homes, and he, through the process of doing this, has cultivated relationships with many vendors and suppliers, who supply the gaming and toy industries, including Atari. And guess what, fellas? They talk shop. They talk a lot of shop. Curt has also dealt with the company directly, in both business and engineering capacities, been in the room with these people, and has read them from across the table. So. While this isn't a perfect match for credibility, it does weigh very heavily on my scale.

so... *shrug*

-Thom

Edited by tschak909
  • Like 4

I'm a little uncomfortable with the lack of authentication on the YouTube "insider info" comments some people are quoting. They seem plausible enough, and certainly fit my biases, but I'd feel better if they weren't so easily faked. The supposed leaker could just as easily post that info here, where it would have more credibility, in my opinion.

Fair enough, there could be entities with an eye to a buy-out, willing to rumour-monger them into a more tasty state of acquisition if things go foul, as well. But as you say, it fits with the scenario, their previous line of behavior and of course, our biases. icon_wink.gif

EDIT: The thread moves quickly - we now have other sources of confirmation, willing to put their reputation on the line.

Edited by AtariNerd
  • Like 2

Thom and I have had our differences, the Westchester Tech post is an accurate account of what happened.

Still though, even if the DreamGear thing happened that doesn't exactly prove that this whole thing is a scam. From what "Westchester Technologies" says, it sounds like Atari planned on delivering, but taking the cheaper route to do so, and it failed.

They're partnered with PowerA now, and from what I heard online from several people, PowerA actually makes very decent stuff. So I don't really see much of a problem anymore...

Also is there any real way to prove that the "Westchester Technologies" user is in fact the real person? He has 0 subscribers and 0 content if you look at his YoutTube profile.

Edited by Lodmot
  • Like 1

He is just pissed that there were as many dislikes as likes on his videos. I watched most of them and part of the tipster interview. It was too much.

I think he and others have a right to back and be excited over it. I was excited when I heard the first announcement. If done correctly could be a neat little thing.

Problem us they are handling stuff poorly and want me to fork up a decent chunk of change and have nothing to show me?

That tuber made a video about how its going to compete with Switch due to similar specs and how he was tired of Mario and Smash because he already has all of those games. I didn't get around to telling him that this thing has only shown games that have been around longer than Nintendo IPs.

Dumb.

• Like 2

Well since Westchester Technologies IS my account and has my email address on it and its an email that Albert and I communicate with often and with Thom as well whos also mention to you, as have I over on YouTube that it is me.

Well here I am showing you AGAIN it is me.

As for you comment below, you seem to ignore the fact that Atari was attempting to execute a contract whereby they got Dreamgears controller, electronics design and firmware for free and then would take that design elsewhere giving ZERO compensation to Dreamgear, thats called THEFT and a scam.

As for PowerA, interesting you know that information, so I outed myself, so who are you?

Also, since youre a stickler on proof, show us your proof re: PowerA

I know about it from inside sources, lets see where you got it.

BTW- Thanks Thom for pointing me to this post, the Taco stuff is hilarious!!! ?

The Historian, on 26 Jun 2018 - 11:20 AM, said:

Thom and I have had our differences, the Westchester Tech post is an accurate account of what happened.

Still though, even if the DreamGear thing happened that doesn't exactly prove that this whole thing is a scam. From what "Westchester Technologies" says, it sounds like Atari planned on delivering, but taking the cheaper route to do so, and it failed.

They're partnered with PowerA now, and from what I heard online from several people, PowerA actually makes very decent stuff. So I don't really see much of a problem anymore...

Also is there any real way to prove that the "Westchester Technologies" user is in fact the real person? He has 0 subscribers and 0 content if you look at his YoutTube profile.

• Like 24

To make it easier for people who are trying to connect the dots:

Westchester Technologies appears to be is Curt Vendel, VIP of the "real Atari" world.

The comments snipped in screenshots came from this video from Smash JT. I'll quote them with text rather than screen grabs so they are easier to read, search, and share. He's addressing some people in the comments, hence the weird lead words like "Lodmot" and "YourTV Unplugged." Highlights in red are by me when it appears there's some juicy info to come.

My system might not be able to handle the delicious schadenfreude that awaits us. Will it all come down before the campaign ends and Atari takes all the money? Will there be a surprise beyond the dickery we already know about? Will the cult-like followers of Atari awaken from their trance?

Westchester Technologies

The reason Atari's first crowdfunding of Atari Box being pulled and why they showed a "hunk of plastic" here is the reason: Atari wanted to use Dreamgear's controller for their Ataribox/VCS - Dreamgear wanted to go into contract where by Dreamgear would allow Atari to use their engineering design, electronics, firmware and controller for free in exchange for Atari giving them an exclusive manufacturing agreement for the controller and to be able to exclusive selling controllers for the console for 2 years. Atari took Dreamgears contract, removed all of the exclusive parts and essentially gave them what amounted to: You give us your design for free that you invested a boatload of time, money and engineering on, and we take it and go to the cheapest lost cost manufacturer we can find a run off controllers and Dreamgear, you get nothing and thanks for letting us essentially dup you out your property... So Dreamgear wasn't going to sign that one sided nonsense, then suddenly they hear Atari is firing up its Crowdfunding to start taking orders and the day before it was to start, Dreamgear contacted Atari and officially pulled out of any and all deals, they would not supply Atari with their designs for nothing... this is why, if you go back and read the comments from Fred Chesnais on why the crowdfunding was stopped - his comment was, they were having some last minute issues with their controller supplier - yeah, Atari tried to steal Dreamgears controller and they said no, that was the issue. its also why a "hunk of plastic" was shown at GDC because Atari had no controller they could legally show with the console, because at that point all they had was Dreamgears. So expect an Ouya quality controller with the Atari VCS because that is the route that Atari has taken in the past with its peripherals... The more Atari lies... the more I am going to reveal and its only going to get worse for Atari if they keep this up...

Westchester Technologies

Lodmot I don’t want nor need subscribers. I’m Curt Vendel who worked for Atari for 10 years, I designed & engineered the Atari Flashback 1,2,2+ and Flashback Portable 2007 version. Other than that I don’t have to show or prove my statements and things are already in the works for Smash JT and RGT85 to do videos substantiating my facts.

Westchester Technologies

Lodmot fair enough, I’m not pushing nor demanding that you take my word. I’m just posting who I am and not some random nobody. In time things will come out from other sources and will match what I said and you can judge for yourself. Unlike Atari, I won’t attack you for having your own opinion and point of view.

There's more in the comments of this Smash JT video.

Westchester Technologies

Smash JT... want answers? Here is the answer: The Atari VCS isn’t about making a console. It’s about putting a pretty bow on Atari and it’s penny stock. Fred Chesnais is desperately looking for an out and to sell Atari and walk away with some $$$ in his pocket. This is all about smoke & mirrors to make Atari attractive to find someone to buy them. It’s stock is flatlined so it’s obvious it’s not working and the Atari SA board (formerly Infogrames) is rapidly growing impatient with Chesnais and his string of failures. Re: Todd, he’s been with Atari for quite a few years, he was doing IP licensing. He’s actually a great guy but in a bad company. Back to what’s in the VCS.... nothing, it’s still just an empty shell that someone from Sonos designed as a favor for Atari last year. What’s Atari doing with the 3mill? Well they are spending it on PR to upsell themselves to be bought out. They are still sitting on several vanilla AMD dev boards and some boot images of Ubuntu - nothing else. I’ve spilled more than I should for now, more to come.

Westchester Technologies

YourTV Unplugged I’ve really been biting my tongue on this whole thing with very intimate inside details, I know all the people being contracted on this thing, I literally get an email or a call each time someone’s been contacted by Atari because they know me and want to discuss the situation so I know exactly what’s been going since day one and it’s ... well, I’m going to hold off for a bit longer, because some self destructive actions are on the near horizon and I’m gonna go get some popcorn and some blackout googles and watch the mushroom cloud from the distance

Westchester Technologies

Spencer Seifert I worked for Atari for 10 years, believe me when I say I do not want to work for them again.

giphy.gif

edit: Curt verified himself while I was looking for a dumb GIF
  • Like 14

Curious, Lodmot... How do you know about PowerA? Was that leaked somewhere?

-Thom

Nope, it's right on the indiegogo page actually. :)

They're partnered with PowerA for both the controllers, Flex is doing the system itself, and AMD's obviously doing their processor.

A lot of info is on their Indiegogo campaign page, but people will overlook it simply because it's Atari. All the team members are there too, and they can all be found on LinkedIn and have very good credentials. One guy on the VCS team actually worked on the 2012 MacBook Pro.

Interesting thing with AMD, they released their financial earnings for last year sometime ago and Atari is listed in there (under the AtariBox name):

http://ir.amd.com/news-releases/news-release-details/amd-reports-third-quarter-2017-financial-results-0

Seems obvious to me this isn't a scam after all, like many claimed.

Edited by Lodmot