IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

No, useless, Atari follows this discussion.

Yeah, when Atari's goon squad went after Redbubble, I wondered if maybe they were tipped off by posts like mine. But if I have such influence, maybe they'll read this post and realize they're causing more pain than pleasure with the people who are most likely to give them real money. icon_woozy.gif

Hear me, Fred Chesnais and the rest: break up your little company, return the shareholder's money, and release the Atari legacy catalog to the public domain. Go out like heroes, not like the lobotomized goats your recent behavior would suggest. Do it today. Bring some delight to the world, rather than a bemused smirk and a dozen rants from the few people who still care about the brand.

• Like 11

Has anyone heard from the Atari crew lately? They posted one single comment on Indiegogo three days ago, and it's been five days since they were regularly responding to backers. I think it's been five days since they posted on Facebook.

Do we need to put them on the back of a milk carton? Send out search teams? I'm concerned, guys.

Honestly, there's been a lot of negativity. I'm not sure I really understand why people are sooo angry at Atari SA for coming up with this? It's a very vocal minority. To each their own... I know what I'm doing buying into it, I just don't fully understand why there are so many who are so vehemently grouchy about it. I don't like used car salesmen, but I don't hang out in the General forum talking about them all the time. Haha...

They are probably tired of getting themselves into frustrating conversations with people who are trying to catch them saying something improperly.

Honestly, there's been a lot of negativity. I'm not sure I really understand why people are sooo angry at Atari SA for coming up with this?

You've been reading this thread. What is unclear about Atari SA's actions over the past year that is failing to explain the skepticism many here have shown?

That is a question I am genuinely asking you. It truly is not clear to me how - based on their actions - there could be any misconceptions as to how they view their company, product, backers, the press, or this community. Please help me to understand my disconnect in this regard.

It's a very vocal minority. To each their own... I know what I'm doing buying into it, I just don't fully understand why there are so many who are so vehemently grouchy about it. I don't like used car salesmen, but I don't hang out in the General forum talking about them all the time. Haha...

They are probably tired of getting themselves into frustrating conversations with people who are trying to catch them saying something improperly.

"Better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."

• Like 7

Trolololo... :lolblue:

post-33189-0-10923400-1529887610_thumb.jpg

That stick is a thing of beauty. I live the new sleek look and the LEDs light up. Can't wait to hold the final production stick in my hands!

I also hope someone makes a 9-pin adapter to interface with original 70s hardware. That would be cool I think. cool.gif

https://vcstalk.com/index.php/topic,8.0.html

Honestly, there's been a lot of negativity. I'm not sure I really understand why people are sooo angry at Atari SA for coming up with this? It's a very vocal minority. To each their own... I know what I'm doing buying into it, I just don't fully understand why there are so many who are so vehemently grouchy about it. I don't like used car salesmen, but I don't hang out in the General forum talking about them all the time. Haha...

Hard questions, like "What will this thing be able to do when it's finished? How far along are you now? Can it do anything yet? Why should anyone want this?"

Negativity, like "Why can't you answer the most basic of questions before you start collecting pre-orders, or donations, or whatever this is?"

If they weren't such litigious pricks (Llamasoft, Redbubble), and they weren't using shady crowdfunding tactics, they'd just be ridiculous, instead of ridiculous, insulting, evasive, and sketchy.

• Like 12

This might just be me, but people aren't just annoyed with how Atari SA is responding to people; people are also annoyed with how the product has been handled. While Atari SA's wording has caused some grief, most of the animosity comes from how Atari SA has continually lied (the Tempest 4000 debacle, for instance) and shifted the goal posts, trying to squeeze as much money as possible out of people. The Limited Edition Console? Not so limited if you put a heftier price tag on it (minus "bells and whistles"). People are tired of products like this coming into focus only to turn out bad (Coleco Chameleon, Atari Game Band). The Atari "VCS" situation is too much like one we've seen before, and it is disappointing. Empty shells and other equipment running games is all too familiar, and add in some delays, lack of information, special editions and blame shifting and you have the perfect storm. Will the "VCS" be created and sold? Considering it has been sold in the thousands before a working prototype exists, I don't know, but the future of the "VCS" looks grim. When I first heard of the Ataribox I was excited; it is what made me interested in Atari games and consoles. But then uncertainty and skepticism grabbed me, and showed me the facts. What claims to be a success is a shallow one, one that has all the hallmarks of a dream wrapped in promises and vinyl wood grain and all the evidence of being a scam. I really wanted this to work, for this to be real, for this to be legitimate, for this to be anything but what the back of my mind already knew. But maybe that's just me. Maybe that's just me.

• Like 9

There are certain individuals who have been connected to the people involved, who are now leaking things and speaking out, because Atari has been taking shots at journalists (regardless of their stripes), including a certain engineer who designed the Flashback 1 and 2 and 2+ systems for Atari, and knows the people involved, their modus operandi, and the various subcontractors who have had their strings pulled to create the artifacts that we currently are seeing from the "AtariVCS" endeavor...

...the leaks aren't over, yet...and as Atari keeps getting more brash, the leaks will continue.

That doesn't surprise me, given the way things have gone down with the project.

Atari is being called out in the most epic ways possible, and they honestly deserve it, because since Atari's bankruptcy, they've been nothing but a licensing front, taking all the money, bearing none of the risk, and doing everything idiotic short term thing possible to make a quick buck.

This whole AtariVCS project has been, from the get-go, simply a parachute for its top executives to exit from the company, assuming they get acquired, this is not speculation. This is not theory. Some of us have known this from the very beginning, and for various reasons, have had to keep quiet, trying to warn people as discreetly as we could, but now that Atari is acting like a petulant child, some have taken the gloves off.

-Thom

I don't see it as a parachute, they don't really have anything another company would want to acquire. It's a cash grab like every-other Atari product these days, but parachute implies they have some height to jump from.

• Like 1

go watch the SDR video a couple pages back, its their MO

just about every project except for the vault has pretty much been "heyz look at dis, gimmie monies, oh noes shit happened go radio silent until the next heyz look at dis gimmie monies" project comes along

I dont hate them, as most are aware around here I have a pretty low barrier to making a rage post, and outside of a time or two in 400 pages I have been mostly sitting here shaking my head thinking HOW THE FK IS THIS HAPPENING AGAIN!!!!!!!!

not withstanding the fact they are already a year in this project and still don't know how the freaking controller works let alone a platform ecosystem

• Like 5

Yeah, when Atari's goon squad went after Redbubble, I wondered if maybe they were tipped off by posts like mine. But if I have such influence, maybe they'll read this post and realize they're causing more pain than pleasure with the people who are most likely to give them real money. icon_woozy.gif

Hear me, Fred Chesnais and the rest: break up your little company, return the shareholder's money, and release the Atari legacy catalog to the public domain. Go out like heroes, not like the lobotomized goats your recent behavior would suggest. Do it today. Bring some delight to the world, rather than a bemused smirk and a dozen rants from the few people who still care about the brand.

goon.jpg

• Like 2

That doesn't surprise me, given the way things have gone down with the project.

I don't see it as a parachute, they don't really have anything another company would want to acquire. It's a cash grab like every-other Atari product these days, but parachute implies they have some height to jump from.

Is it just the salty air of this thread, or have you undergone some kind of religious conversion? Wasn't there a time when you wanted to help out these jokers?

• Like 7